Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post

Tango..yes your "cream off the top" investment strategy is commonly used by investors and seems to work well..
Re: TA...TA is a valuable entry/exit tool to have in your toolbox...Be-careful not to let the hindsight excuse blind you (pun). This is a big excuse anti-TAers use...When analysing charts you are dealing with the past up to the present day... Remember, both TA and FA disciplines use past to present data so it doesn't matter what investment discipline you use you always have this hindsight (past data) factor in play as a part of any future decisions.

Back to investing strategies:..TA tends to be a variable term investing thing and a better rowing investment strategy tool when timing seems important..FA tends to be a longer term investing thing and better used as a sailing investment strategy tool..

Simply put, during volatile times and bear market cycles a rowing strategy is best..During a bull market cycle a sailing strategy (e.g buy and hold) is best.
Rowing V Sailing Investing

Re: Pushpay investing..my method (disclaimer..do your own research to obtain what you personally happy with as an investing method) uses a rowing investment strategy for both Bull and Bear markets and the best tool for the job is the TA discipline..Why?.. In the past (using Hindsight) PPH which is a very fast growing companies has long hiatus price periods followed by sudden very large upward price correctional bursts..Looking ahead into the future, if there is a long bull market cycle in operation, holding capital in a stock that is in a hiatus period creates a capital opportunity loss as you miss out on big price rises elsewhere while waiting for PPH to do its breakout thing..So rowing with PPH is a better method during the long Bull Market cycles as well as the shorter Bear market cycles..

All Company stocks have their own share price behaviour...(that's easily seen on charts) for example MFT (Mainfreight) has a very long term continual steady climb behaviour (disregard Covid bear) which the investor would obviously prefer use a sailing investment strategy, one being the very passive buy & hold strategy, another is the less passive accumulating dip buying...In MFT case the very passive buy & hold looks to be the best sailing investing strategy alternative...
THANK YOU 🌟

This is super helpful. In the past I had read books and done courses talking about the Buffett method which is basically buy a good business at a margin of safety price and then sit back and let the winners ride. More recently I saw someone who is a Buffett disciple use TA for entry and exit points, both for individual stocks and to get a sense of overall market trends, and a huge freaking light bulb went on. I could see that using that strategy I may leave some gains on the table but I dramatically reduce the risk of being caught out with big market dips and as you say there is an opportunity cost of letting it sit in a company going nowhere.

For some reason I had a mental block about this idea of selling shares and then rebuying. Time for a change in strategy!

Your post just added to my knowledge and reinforced the need sharpen my TA skills until I truly understand it!! 🌟