sharetrader
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Pie funds

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Pie Funds founder disappointed strategy hasn’t worked

Pie Funds is closing its Multi Strategy Fund, citing poor returns.

https://www.goodreturns.co.nz/articl...-t-worked.html

not surprised when your going to play long and short and include the US markets in the mix you need someone who understands the US markets and follows it all the time. clearly they had the wrong people.

In reality it was only ever a long equity fund anyway most of the time
    Don't think it was the long equities that killed this one . Think it was some of the commodities like oil , when the shale oil tap went on .......
    Sometimes better to cut your losses and concentrate on what you are good at .

IMO

Have averaged 18% per year since 2014 over 3 funds. A good addition to my portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Have averaged 18% per year since 2014 over 3 funds. A good addition to my portfolio.
    Mike a good guy ....in his early days I believe a contributor to Sharetrader

Must have learnt a lot from us
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

IMO

My pie funds down re 11.5% from recent highs.How are other folks funds doing?
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 16-03-2022 at 03:17 PM.

my fund is up 22% mainly energy and commodities
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    My pie funds down re 11.5% from recent highs.How are other folks funds doing?
    I'm with Juno which is Pie Funds in a purple dress and I'm down 18% since the beginning of the year - as there would have been inflows since then the drop will be higher than that.

I have been with Pie for some years in a number of funds mainly as a diversification hedge against my direct NZX investments. My own share investments in the last year have well and truly beaten their performance. They normally do well after periods of volatility so history says the funds will go up quickly if and when the market improves. I’m a believer but review every year.

Came close to throwing PIE a few hundred thou at the start of this year...glad I didn't. I had some funds in the smart shares BOT and USS. that I put there in November 2021. As soon as those funds broke down through the 100 day MA in January 2022 I sold. Lost about 7% before I pulled the pin. Pretty clear the tide is going out at present.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-03-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Came close to throwing PIE a few hundred thou at the start of this year...glad I didn't. I had some funds in the smart shares BOT and USS. that I put there in November 2021. As soon as those funds broke down through the 100 day MA in January 2022 I sold. Lost about 7% before I pulled the pin. Pretty clear the tide is going out at present.

You had better not be up at the ice cream shop when the tide comes back in.

IMO

I think the tide may have turned already.Think I've said it before but one of the reasons I have investments in a fund is so that I don't have a brain explosion or short term tantrum and can't fiddle with it.My pie funds are still up re 300% atp since investing in them.