Super Investor

......why so many funds?
    Row row row your boat...
    h2

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    ......why so many funds?
    Row row row your boat...
    Well those were two non sensical posts. Would you explain them for us. Nursery rhymes are so long in my past I have no recollection of their meaning.

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Well those were two non sensical posts. Would you explain them for us. Nursery rhymes are so long in my past I have no recollection of their meaning.
    What do you want 777?
    h2

percy

I have checked my wife's and my own portfolios.
    Since 31st March this year both portfolios are down 0.08%, ie less than 1%.
    This is in some ways immaterial, as our dividends are increasing.
    In NZ I am now taking cash dividends while in Aussie where possible I still take drp.
    I would also point out that over the past 4 years, the value of our portfolios have increased substantially.
    Last edited by percy; 07-06-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJP View Post
    Any Pie Hole-ders (ha excuse the dad joke) noticing the pie performance recently? pretty crappy (across several funds). Pie aren't very transparent about what is going on behind the scenes. Any thoughts? Imagine that TIL was a super bad investment for them. But what other lemons?

disc. holding
    Well, I have 4 different Pie holdings that collectively (according to Sharesight) been
    Up 17.83% pa for the past 5 years
    Up 10.91% pa for the past 2 years
    Up 3.35% in the last year
    Down 0.68% for the past 6 months
    Down 0.89% for the past 3 months

My rag-tag collection on NZ shares have collectively (according to Sharesight) been
    Up 18.62% pa for the past 5 years
    Up 16.17% pa for the past 2 years
    Up 8.69% in the last year
    Up 6.81% for the past 6 months
    Up 0.65% for the past 3 months

So, in theory at least I would have been better just with more money in my dartboard selections.

But on the other hand, it isn't quite that simple:
    - Their performance collectively hasn't been quite as bad as some would suggest here though some funds are down significantly
    - They seem to be one of, maybe the only, fund manager discussed here - why is that?
    - In my dealings with them they have always been very approachable and direct with their answers
    - I think that their marketing is very slick, which always makes me a bit nervous to be honest
    - I can't see how their business model is truly sustainable. Their niche should always mean they are of a small size, and if they move away from that they are just another fund manager
    - For me having money in funds like Pie is a risk management issue, I don't have the time or skill to deploy those funds elsewhere

Disc: Holder, and not disappointed with my long term return from them

TJP,

Obviously funds go up and down. Some funds have taken a downward lately but mainly in Aussy and they mostly all have but they have recently recovered and long term look ok. PIE just explained it to me when I enquired with them. A very transparent company and they are very open and easy to communicate with. My friend has been with them for 4 years now and his results are excellent. I followed them for 2 years then got in and am happy with results to date. Money in banks here in NZ @3% and Aussy @ 2% don't exactly set the world alight and that's before tax . PIE results since inception and if you kept them in there are amongst the very best anywhere in the world. I think in 2016 were the 16th best fund in the world with thousands of funds so a slight downturn is ok especially as they are always sitting on large amounts of cash. If they need to get out of a stock they can as their positions are never that big just like their funds are maxed at $50M. So TJP who would you rather be with?

Advanced Member

Good post , but the fact remains that I think they held maybe 12% of TIL . That position was too big to get out of .They own more than 10% of KME.ax , do you think they could liquidate that in a hurry if there was a profit warning for instance ? Not sure where you get the 50mio figure from .... they have over 600 mio across Funds , some are way bigger than 50 .....,
    Last edited by stoploss; 03-08-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: S/p mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    What fees does brent sheather charge and does he invest your hard earned in funds which take fees as well?
    Don't worry about the fees if the funds return the $$$. Will always be better than the bank. Often people go for the smallest fees in the kiwsaver providers but they are the worst performers. Stars need to be paid. Happy with them.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by J9jcm50 View Post
    TJP,

Obviously funds go up and down. Some funds have taken a downward lately but mainly in Aussy and they mostly all have but they have recently recovered and long term look ok. PIE just explained it to me when I enquired with them. A very transparent company and they are very open and easy to communicate with. My friend has been with them for 4 years now and his results are excellent. I followed them for 2 years then got in and am happy with results to date. Money in banks here in NZ @3% and Aussy @ 2% don't exactly set the world alight and that's before tax . PIE results since inception and if you kept them in there are amongst the very best anywhere in the world. I think in 2016 were the 16th best fund in the world with thousands of funds so a slight downturn is ok especially as they are always sitting on large amounts of cash. If they need to get out of a stock they can as their positions are never that big just like their funds are maxed at $50M. So TJP who would you rather be with?
    From the Pie July Fact sheets - Fund sizes
    Growth $ 72.6 mio
    Growth 2 $ 128.3 Mio
    Dividend $ 87 mio
    Emerging $ 86 mio
    Global $ 73.5 mio
    UK & Eur $ 75.9
    Cash plus $ 12.4 mio

So j9jcm50 it would seem the 50 mio max is not correct ....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    From the Pie July Fact sheets - Fund sizes
    Growth $ 72.6 mio
    Growth 2 $ 128.3 Mio
    Dividend $ 87 mio
    Emerging $ 86 mio
    Global $ 73.5 mio
    UK & Eur $ 75.9
    Cash plus $ 12.4 mio

So j9jcm50 it would seem the 50 mio max is not correct ....
    They stop accepting money into the funds at 50m in general. They are allowed to grow though. (smilie face).