sharetrader

Threaded View

Default How Do I: invest in overseas index fund

Hi

We are considering investing in an index tracking fund. I like the looks of Vanguard (https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...tExt=INT#tab=0) but may consider others as well.

One of the reasons I like it is because it has a really low fee, 0.18%. And for right or wrong I would like to invest in a passive index tracker rather than in a managed fund.

My question is: how do I go about doing this, and what are the tax implications and requirements (if any).

Do I need to use a NZ broker or similar? Or can I invest directly, or do I need to do something else?

I saw that Craigs Investments lets you invest in it through them, but they charge 1.25% for the privilege (!) so I was thinking of going it alone.

The purpose of this investment is to invest a chunk of money we have been putting away each week into bank deposits for our young son for his future (uni or similar). He's only 2 now, so it is a long term investment, and is for his rather than our benefit. Not sure if that changes anything re tax.

Thanks in advance

Andy C
    Last edited by andrewfreestuff; 07-04-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typos etc