sharetrader
    Guru

Default Equity Crowdfunding - Snowball effect

Is anyone considering crowdfunding? Looks like there will be atleast two providers in NZ with Snowball effect and Pledgeme both applying for a registration.

It sounds like Snowball effect already has a 11 lined up to go from a very diverse range of businesses (I assumed they would all be start up tech companies).

Investor registration is now open
    The Snowball Effect website is now open for investor registration!
    We invite you to register as an investor at www.snowballeffect.co.nz.
    The simple registration process is open now. There is no charge, nor obligation to invest.
    Snowball Effect will be licensed and regulated by the Financial Markets Authority. We are currently working through the licensing process, which began on 1 April 2014. We cannot share investment opportunities until this process is complete.
    If registered, you will be notified when the first investment opportunities are available. These will range from startups through to established businesses looking for funds to expand. You will need to be registered to see details of each investment opportunity when they are posted to the website.
    Investment opportunities
    We are actively working with 11 New Zealand companies seeking to raise funds in exchange for equity in 2014.
    Two of the businesses are startups. The other nine are established businesses operating across a number of sectors including retail clothing, entertainment, cloud-based software, food & beverage, retail, and wholesale. The 11 companies are part of a group of over 100 Kiwi companies who have expressed interest in raising funds through Snowball Effect.
    Whether you are looking to back a Kiwi business, diversify your portfolio, or simply see the opportunities that are available, Snowball Effect will give you access – whatever your budget – to exciting opportunities that were previously only accessible to VC and Angel investment groups or other “eligible” investors.
    The businesses are working on their investment propositions, with those closest to launching seeking capital of between $100,000 and up to $1 million. Companies will have up to 60 days to raise their funds.
    Snowball Effect helps Kiwi companies to raise funds from their most passionate supporters, customers, users, and interested members of the public. We look forward to sharing exciting investment opportunities with you!
    Please register at www.snowballeffect.co.nz and we will update you as soon as the first investment opportunities are available.
    NOt sure if this is the best place to post this but it doesn't fit on the NZX or Unlisted boards.

If nothing else would be good way to harvest database of high net worth individuals!!!...ok I'm a cynic so sue me. I guess the devil is in the details however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    Is anyone considering crowdfunding? Looks like there will be atleast two providers in NZ with Snowball effect and Pledgeme both applying for a registration.

It sounds like Snowball effect already has a 11 lined up to go from a very diverse range of businesses (I assumed they would all be start up tech companies).

NOt sure if this is the best place to post this but it doesn't fit on the NZX or Unlisted boards.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Guru

It will be interesting what companies try to raise funds - ones with high growth potential (ie. Pre angle or VC type investment) or will it be more altruistic like the reward based crowd funding(ie. The bank won't lend me money to open a coffee shop in your neighbourhood so become part owner with me)..

Interested in the groups thoughts on current Snowballeffect offers.

1. CHAPTER2 - Carbon bike frame manufacturer, high end market, high GPM, small, product set, just in time supplier. Financials look interesting if optimistic. Strong pedigree in sports equipment manufacturing / brand management with the Pryde family.

2. UBCO - Electric utility bike. Interesting battery technology and IP. Potentially massive market.

3. Karmacola - Established brand. Wholesale investor offer only.

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
    Interested in the groups thoughts on current Snowballeffect offers.

1. CHAPTER2 - Carbon bike frame manufacturer, high end market, high GPM, small, product set, just in time supplier. Financials look interesting if optimistic. Strong pedigree in sports equipment manufacturing / brand management with the Pryde family.

2. UBCO - Electric utility bike. Interesting battery technology and IP. Potentially massive market.

3. Karmacola - Established brand. Wholesale investor offer only.
    1. Chapter2 - There was a NZ company in the 2000s that made an exceptionally good and somewhat revolutionary downhill mountain bikes. They gained international recognition and were outwardly doing quite well. Tough, tough market and ultimately a hard market to make money in when you only cater to the high end of town.

2. UBCO - Potentially massive market that has some big players in it that are well advanced. The style of this model to me makes it appealing to the Asian market. I'd guess it has no chance in the adventure market given there's actual bikes designed for the task that use modern designs/engineering instead of a rehash of something from the 60s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=T0YgdUW3hVA

UBCO back for another round.
    They seem to be performing really well, although I am yet to see the offer data.
    Anyone already invested?

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    UBCO back for another round.
    They seem to be performing really well, although I am yet to see the offer data.
    Anyone already invested?
    Not already invested, but have taken up the latest offer. Just a small parcel though, treating it like a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan View Post
    Not already invested, but have taken up the latest offer. Just a small parcel though, treating it like a gamble.
    Interesting. I like the product but decided investing looked a little complicated (still not sure how one goes about offloading them?).
    Certainly if one had a spare thousand or two to throw in the bottom drawer I think there is potential they could be worth the gamble.
    Mind you I am still smarting from trying that with FMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    Interesting. I like the product but decided investing looked a little complicated (still not sure how one goes about offloading them?).
    I think in terms of offloading them, you'd have to wait till they were publicly listed. So definitely a long term hold. No way to bail out if things start looking grim before that.

UBCO are having a Series B round now. Anyone thinking of getting in (or getting more)?