sharetrader
Page 18 of 116 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

ARK investments (a fund manager) are a big Tesla investor. Their base case target is Tesla (post split) is $1400 a share by 2024. Other fund managers have widely ridiculed ARK's targets, but so far ARK has been on the right side of history.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I guess you can tow a boat or a caravan as well ?
    https://www.aa.co.nz/cars/buying-a-c...towing-review/

https://www.carsguide.com.au/adventu...-model-x-74243

Frightening drop in range and that's towing a very modest weight pop top caravan.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    LOL I have a real car. I can "charge" up my fuel tank in 2-3 minutes and have 900 km's range
    I took a Tesla Model 3 for a test drive last weekend. Great acceleration but apart from that, I was underwhelmed and doubt very much it will be seriously considered when I replace my current car next year. Bought a "PowerWall" though !

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I took a Tesla Model 3 for a test drive last weekend. Great acceleration but apart from that, I was underwhelmed and doubt very much it will be seriously considered when I replace my current car next year. Bought a "PowerWall" though !
    Bottom line for anyone like you or I that have had the experience of owning a high quality European made car is that apart from the underlying battery and drive systems (you can't see) everything else feels second rate.

You could tow a decent boat or caravan with this, (2,700 kgs) with unlimited range, German assembly standards, nearly 400 horsepower and up to 77 km's electric range, all in a package which is versatile, safe and very comfortable with a 5 year warranty and 3 year service package. I think as I get even more semi retired and want to engage in more lifestyle activities this looks like a very good option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITjgIYqmrs I am very tempted to have a look.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-09-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.carsguide.com.au/adventu...-model-x-74243

Frightening drop in range and that's towing a very modest weight pop top caravan.
    Yeah unsurprising. As someone who owns a caravan and also has a leaf for my commuter car, I can't see battery technology being able to be applied to my situation for a very long time. Hydrogen seems to be the only solution for all the NZers that tow caravans, horse floats, car trailers or use a campervan. The impact of being able to drive to a remote spot is massive and even the fastest of fast chargers means the journey is so much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by k14 View Post
    Yeah unsurprising. As someone who owns a caravan and also has a leaf for my commuter car, I can't see battery technology being able to be applied to my situation for a very long time. Hydrogen seems to be the only solution for all the NZers that tow caravans, horse floats, car trailers or use a campervan. The impact of being able to drive to a remote spot is massive and even the fastest of fast chargers means the journey is so much longer.
    Bottom line for me at my age is I am looking at recreational activities in my semi retirement years and I don't want a little pokey caravan or boat that was bought to fit into a vehicle's capabilities to tow it. Something like this https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...5?bof=ZMhmFxNF
    has a ton or room and luxury compared to most motorhomes or caravans but needs a decent vehicle like the BMW I posted a link for above to tow it, (fits within the 2700kg's tow limit). If a caravan or boat of this weight could be towed by the Tesla (max rating 2250 kg's) it would absolutely destroy the range, perhaps to as little as 100 km's

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12367639
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-09-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Like every car, there are a few issues with the Audi Etron (French for "turd", does not sell well there for some reason).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rin-4HRFj4c is a particularly bad experience. Polestar seems to be having issues too, with poor charging and about 2% of them immobilising and unusable. There are many EV haters ready to pounce on this sort of stuff, so hopefully Audi will get its "etron" together.

For those interested in investing in Tesla. Please understand that Tesla is not an Automotive company, they are a Technology company. The Tesla cars are just one product that they offer. Their real products are Battery technology design & patents, Energy storage and Software. Many, if not most Wall St analysts don't understand Tesla and their recommendations are short term ie to the next 1/4 only. If you invest in Tesla you need to understand what they actually are and that you enter a position going Long.

Someone mentioned Cathy Woods & Ark Investments above and they are correct. Ark's analysts are ahead of the game looking for long term growth not short term gain to which most mainstream analysts subscribe to. Cathy Woods / Ark have proven themselves as digital age analysts who understand finance and technology.

To finish, Tesla is a Long hold. Buy it and forget about it. If you are short term and you have an appetite for volatility and can stomach the ups and downs then good luck to you.

Again, Tesla is NOT an Automotive company. In the end Tesla will supply the surviving Automotive companies their Batteries and Software much like Microsoft did with Windows.

Happy trading,

Chuckles
    Last edited by Chuckles; 06-10-2020 at 05:22 PM.

BIG NEWS - Tesla has been slated to be added to the S&P500 on Dec 21, 2020. Post Market up $60 to $463 from $408 close.