sharetrader
Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast

Lightbulb TSLA - Tesla Motors

Does anyone have any thoughts on Tesla? I'm considering using part of my GNE refund to take a punt. With the NASDAQ being wobbly they're coming down from a high, and I think there is a phenomenal upside to this company.

These are just some of my thoughts in no particular order. I'm still working on it and haven't come to a decision either way, just interested if anyone else has thoughts on this?

1) The assumption that "electric cars + Elon Musk = tech" seems outdated. Yes they're developing new technology, but so are GM & Ford all the time. Tesla is about as related to Pets.com as Boeing is to King Bladud.

2) Their direct distribution model means that if/when they hit the mainstream (and they deal with the dealer-cartels in the states) they will be able to command a higher markup than other automakers who sell through agents.

3) Their gigafactory, when built, will supply them with cheap, superior batteries as well as being a diversified source of income.

4) China etc.

Ignore my comments - wrong chart
    Last edited by Entrep; 26-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmrm View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Tesla? I'm considering using part of my GNE refund to take a punt. With the NASDAQ being wobbly they're coming down from a high, and I think there is a phenomenal upside to this company.

These are just some of my thoughts in no particular order. I'm still working on it and haven't come to a decision either way, just interested if anyone else has thoughts on this?

1) The assumption that "electric cars + Elon Musk = tech" seems outdated. Yes they're developing new technology, but so are GM & Ford all the time. Tesla is about as related to Pets.com as Boeing is to King Bladud.

2) Their direct distribution model means that if/when they hit the mainstream (and they deal with the dealer-cartels in the states) they will be able to command a higher markup than other automakers who sell through agents.

3) Their gigafactory, when built, will supply them with cheap, superior batteries as well as being a diversified source of income.

4) China etc.
    Did you take a punt?

Share price was $200 back then - now $237 so up 18% in 2 years

But what of the future - wow. As Mr Musk tweeted a while ago

@elonmusk: Now 232k orders

Thats a lot of doshto come in coming years
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

232k is $9b (b for Billion) in sales.

To the end of 2015 they'd only sold 107k cars!

Advanced Member

The young and the restless have taken to them in Hong Kong..

Everywhere..

Bodes well for sales to the young and restless in China ..

Anybody here got TSLA shares

Eion says if you can’t stand volatility and don’t understand cash burn you shouldn’t be in TSLA shares

Told analysts they ask boring bonehead questions and are boring in an analyst teleconference ...and then hung up

Investors are only going to stump up cash for so long, then he will really find out what cash burn means.

If/when they get their Model 3 in good numbers it may stop or alternately major manufacturers will beat him to it.
    He has too many balls in the air imho.
    Perhaps he should lend/merge/sell his technology for the cars to the experts and concentrate on some of his other areas, such as battery technology for solar power.

One thing I think he has done , that he has speeded up the major manufactures in looking at/producing an electric vehicle /hybrid a lot sooner that they may otherwise done.

Discl: None, nil,nada, zip

Really bizarre call the other day. I think Musk's performance of late is all the proof you ever need that EVERYONE needs checks and balances.
    The major manufacturers who are highly experienced at mass production and some of them with very good quality control are all working hard to release competing vehicles in the near future.
    I would not be one to give Musk (an interest free unsecured loan on one of his cars, otherwise known as a deposit) with his arrogant and irrational performance of late.
    I think the odds on the company being around to honor the full tenure of an eight year warranty are lower than 50 / 50.
    I think their current Tesla S is a pretty good car but priced above where it really should be so when the price comes down to a more realistic level, maybe.
    Two questions resonate with me regarding Tesla cars.
    1. Why be an early adopter and give them an unsecured interest free deposit on a very expensive car when you might not ever see it delivered ?
    2. What's a second hand Tesla worth if they go out of business ?
    In terms of their shares...I cannot see anything to recommend them.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

If I was going short a company ie predicting its SP would fall over the short term - Tesla #1
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

That Musk not a good character is he

Heard deposit refunds are outpacing new orders at the moment

Considering the huge pile of debt Tesla has I reckon shareholders not in a very good position if/when Tesla goes bust