sharetrader
Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Auckland housing market

I have a lot of time for Rodney Dickens and his views (not just because I tend to agree)

How will NZX stand up in another recession?

http://www.sra.co.nz/pdf/RecessionMay14.pdf

Abstract
    This flaw and the way successive governors have gone about achieving the target of low inflation have made recessions by-products of monetary policy. This Raving explains the fundamental flaw with the inflation target and shows that Governor Wheeler plans to some extent to follow in the footsteps of his predecessors which means another recession is likely if not inevitable.
    Last edited by winner69; 08-06-2014 at 04:10 PM.

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Of course Winner.

The big question is when?

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    I cant understand the latest increase's in the OCR inflation is well under control and has been for a long time.
    Doe's not effect me personally but it will put a damper on consumer spending.
    Its a matter of being ahead of the game to avoid unnecessary reactionary decisions that will inevitably lead to a recession.

Better to 'smooth. things out and avoid shocks

Non-tradable inflation already over 3% and heading higher

I cant understand the latest increase's in the OCR inflation is well under control and has been for a long time.
    Doe's not effect me personally but it will put a damper on consumer spending.
    They are worried about housing and want to stop the bubble. They are going away from their inflation mandate and technically in breach of their mandate.

The continual rise in interest rates will most likely cause big future problems for exporters via a high currency. Currently the US and japan are proactively devaluing their currencies to kick start their economies. NZ has decided to go with the high currecny option at the expense of exporters due to housing.

Advanced Member

thanks schrodinger I think your post is highly accurate.
    It is mainly housing in Auckland and Christ churh going up in value
    I know of three existing houses around my place that have sold to rich overseas people and have been rented back to to Kiwi people. May be do what they do in Australia , and make rich over seas people build new houses in Auckland, it might help the shortage and make it a bit easier for the Kiwi person to get into a home.

Guru

Unemployment is just as important as inflation when setting the OCR
    http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/63...-activity-some

RBNZ seem to be leaning towards not making as many OCR hikes as previously intimated

And under pressure(?) changing tack on the LVR thing

A few months ago they seemed to at least a plan - good.

But now they seem to be indecisive and dare I say it getting into reactionary mode - not good

Quote Originally Posted by turmeric View Post
    Still interested in your take on this Schrodinger.

In the mean time RBNZ looking at possible intervention in NZD

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/1...l-currencyhtml
    Back in the day when I was studying Economics inflation was their key concern primarily due to NZ high levels during the 80s. When this was brought under control they decided to recently add unemployment to their box of tricks. In reference to their breach mandate I was indicating that they are keeping an close eye on the housing market but use inflation as the excuse. Since housing makes up a component of inflation (25%?) and is rampant in Auckland etc there are indications that hikes in the OCR are driven by housing and nothing else. This being the case they have failed to build long term wealth in NZ by killing the export sector and domestic invesment. This is not only their fault as the governments inaction to have sensible housing policy for all NZ. This failure in policy makes the RBNZ task harder.

Not sure how they balance both long term and short term but raising the OCR to kill exporters and business which wont help the country in the long term. Also hearing about NZ's "Rock star economy" makes me smile. With growth around 2.5% it is equal to US/UK. Singapore has a Rock star economy but we just accept whatever is told to us.

In summary the recent hikes are about housing and nothing else. As I am aware it is Aucklands housing and not businesses that are the governments/RBNZ concern. We should be governed by smarter people and not muppets.
    Last edited by Schrodinger; 09-06-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Aussie GDP apparently 3.5%

Not too bad when stories say country in the ****

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    Of course Winner.

The big question is when?
    Every 8 years