sharetrader
Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Problem? They've had their properties for over 20 years, and has not sold a single one. So what captain gains tax when its for dividend purposes? Just like holding onto shares, so would ppl want captain gains tax if they held onto their shares for 10-20 years? Im all for capital gains tax, everyone needs to be tax, noone should get away with ot.
    lol @ auckland ponzi house market, mate you need to see the world and read my previous comments about our house prices compared to the rest of the world. Not just in price, but size, land and etc. In china u purchase an apartment and u only own ot for 70 years. Dyor.
    your comments are a bit sour to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Or work in the export sector with AUS and your income will be down 20-30%
    This is true and I feel for those people, however odds are if you're working in the export sector you're unlikely to live in Auckland. Unless of course you're working at the port or as a truckie' (not many farmers or loggers around here).

Probably been said before, what we need is more houses to satisfy demand. It is mainly Auckland and Ch Ch in this country
    A few countries have a capital gains tax, hasn't stopped their prices increasing especially in the main cities.

And as has been said before, there is already a tax, it is called Income tax, what the IRD need to crack down on is property speculators who are doing something similar to what was done on Our First home. Buy a house do it up and sell again without declaring the income, I'm sure a few more dollars to the IRD to help with them that would generate a very good return.

El Toro~

I would be interested to hear peoples arguments (for/against) on the removal of deductability of interest on mortgages and if this merits any thought from the IRD/RBNZ?

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by dingoNZ View Post
    I would be interested to hear peoples arguments (for/against) on the removal of deductability of interest on mortgages and if this merits any thought from the IRD/RBNZ?
    How about changing the whole deductability method to making mortgage interest deductable for a property you actually live in for more than 9 months of the year, but not on any other property? This would help with home ownership, but work against property as an investment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Probably been said before, what we need is more houses to satisfy demand. It is mainly Auckland and Ch Ch in this country
    A few countries have a capital gains tax, hasn't stopped their prices increasing especially in the main cities.

And as has been said before, there is already a tax, it is called Income tax, what the IRD need to crack down on is property speculators who are doing something similar to what was done on Our First home. Buy a house do it up and sell again without declaring the income, I'm sure a few more dollars to the IRD to help with them that would generate a very good return.
    This is already being done by IRD... some off course must be getting away with it. Curb should be done to someone owing more than 3 properties. They would have to put 50-60% deposit.

All types of assets have cycles. There are different types of investors, traders and speculators. Similarly, there are different types of instruments links to assets. Crisis such as credit, banking and asset crises can happen suddenly. When they happen we can see lot of repercussions. Some are trying to highlight this time is different. No it is not different. Currently we having commodity crisis. There will be property, credit, banking,currency and housing crisis too at different time at different places. Both New Zealand and Australia are due for bigger housing market correction especially in over valued cities such as Sydney, Auckland, Goal coast and Queenstown etc. In addition, we should see fall in NZD and AUD dramatically in the coming years.

My ideas are not a recommendation to either buy or sell any property, security, commodity or currency. Please do your own research prior to making any investment decisions.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 16-04-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Maybe Stamp duty on Auckland property over 600k 15% on every transaction
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Advanced Member

The problem is the imbalance between supply and demand and fiddling taxes will not affect that. Stick any amount of tax you like on a house and the seller will just add that to the price with a couple of percentage points for his trouble. One of the greatest problems to my mind is the mindless restrictions on land use coupled with the Auckland City council Cost structure imposed on day one of any developement. The result is that you cand drive around the city and see many potential house sites that are not developed because it isn't worth the trouble and the cost involved. The RMA doesn't help but if the "costs" were added as an addition to rates rather than an upfront charge, and the rules were relaxed to cope with the reality that land in the city should be much easier to develop, then progress might be made. I visit a relative in Onehunga and I would say that I could find half a dozen house sites within walking distance of his place in Pleasant Street. A tax on undeveloped sections, some of which are held for years, might get some movement in the city
    Last edited by craic; 17-04-2015 at 11:56 AM.

The problem is the imbalance between supply and demand.....Yes demand coming from the 30k+ people coming to the city mostly Indian Chinese nationals ...then if they like sell take the nice profit and head home tax free
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu