sharetrader
Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    .... If captial gains are introduced, then there of course is some other cans of worms--The most level headed approach seems to me to be to value the home at the time the law comes into affect and go from there(and then if the value of your home goes down and you sell,can it be deducted from your normal income ?
    The Labour CGT once-was-policy did not allow a loss to be treated as an expense, but required any loss to be carried forward against the property 'account' to be offset against future gains. I think that would have required a separate IRD record for each property. Nightmare?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    In terms of Apple --not talking about taxable income--Im referring to Capital gain if you sell--Landlords pay tax on rent received in terms of income (dividends)

If capital gains are introduced, then there of course is some other cans of worms--The most level headed approach seems to me to be to value the home at the time the law comes into affect and go from there(and then if the value of your home goes down and you sell,can it be deducted from your normal income ?
    In relation to Apple (and other FIF shares)...you are right that non-traders don't pay a capital gains tax when they sell. But that would be double taxation since under FIF FDR rules they would probably have been paying income tax on some of the unrealised capital gains in previous years. Foreign Income tax rules incorporate a capital gains element already.

Valuing homes/rental properties for any capital gains tax would be contentious. I could foresee that there would be many disputes.

Wheeler and his little talk this morning will keep the housing market bubbling along

But watch out for inflation >3% next year and a series of rate hikes. Heck that'll slow things do a bit I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    what is going to drive inflation next year winner
    Many of the things that drove the CPI down have turned up. RBNZ are forecasting CPI heading back close to 2% in 2016

Reading their stuff I feel they have not fully allowed for labour cost increases that invariably occur when economic growth is pretty strong (3.5% odd) and unemployment falls. The impact of higher than forecasted labour costs could easily send CPI over 3%

Maybe CPI >3% early 2017 and not 2016 but the signs will be evident in 2016

That's my story and I sticking to it until something happens for me to change it. These things play out slowly it seems

Guru

Interesting item about NZ being the fifth most popular country for property searches on a Chinese website http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11440480

With the exception of Singapore (10th most popular), the other countries in the list have a significantly larger population and housing stock than NZ. It is interesting to note that Singapore has increased a foreign purchaser's stamp duty from 10 to 15%. Sensible move!

Will Emperor Key continue to fiddle whilst the hopes of average Aucklanders, of owning their own homes in their own city, are burned*?

* "Investors were still active in the market, capitalising on low interest rates, high equity across their portfolios and rapidly rising prices"
    Average Auckland home now over $800,000
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11441676
    Last edited by Bjauck; 01-05-2015 at 04:10 PM.

No bubble in Auckland propert according to BNZ chief

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11445042

I'll say it again, demand & supply is the main problem, try to fix one or both, council partly(mainly??) to blame IMHO, cost for compliance and slowness for approvals.
    Can't they see that more houses = more rates collected on an on going basis.

It is not a bubble (until it bursts) If immigration continues, supply is limited then prices will keep rising unless we get another GFC type scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    ...It is not a bubble (until it bursts) If immigration continues, supply is limited then prices will keep rising unless we get another GFC type scenario
    There are many indicators present for the next impending doom! However, the signs of buckling will be hard to see and will come suddenly, when it eventually does.

Well that lying len brown has well and truly shafted Aucklanders with his election promise of rates being kept to a rise of no more than 2.5% per annum. What a ****ing weasel...dressing up a massive rates rise as a transport levy is not keeping your promise your arrogant little man . What did we expect from this low life that can't even keep his marriage vows. This weasel is a true rodent.
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-05-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Well that lying len brown has well and truly shafted Aucklanders with his election promise of rates being kept to a rise of no more than 2.5% per annum....
    How else do you tow the voters in - make false promises.
    No one will vote for him again, so remember to read the next lot of candidates carefully.
    Last edited by vorno; 08-05-2015 at 02:25 PM.