sharetrader

Thread: TD Ameritrade

Default TD Ameritrade

I am keen on having a dry run on the US markets and really like the look of TD Ameritrade, but wondered if anyone else has experience of them? Their website is pretty full on and trying to find exactly what you're after isn't that easy.

Specifically I wanted to know:

- Is their price for trading stocks really just $9.99? No hidden fees, %ages etc

- Do they charge for wiring in funds? Nothing I could see mentioned

- Can you even open an account as a foreigner with no visa/social security?

- Is their thinkorswim web-based (I run Linux and doubt they'll have a standalone for me) and is there any cost to it?

The best thing would be to ask them directly, but I've no intentions of doing 'real' trades for the foreseeable future, but wanted to use their tools to practice with until I can prove myself on paper.

(I did try to search if Ameritrade has come up before but the search function may not be working; I know it appeared in a 2010 thread...)

I would love to know the answers to these questions too.

I emailed TD Ameritrade last year about opening an account with them. They do accept NZ clients (or at least they did a few months ago). They may not accept wire transfers from third parties. The person who contacted me said it was best to wire them through a bank account in your name first, and then subsequent wires could potentially come through a third party such as NZ Forex (but no guarantees).

I didn't end up opening an account with them. I may in future when I have more capital to invest. I couldn't find a mention of an incoming wire fee, but they do charge an outgoing wire fee of US$25. NZ banks have both outgoing and incoming wire fees, and you'll likely lose about 2.5% through the currency exchange margin.

I have had a TD Ameritrade account for about 18 months and use Think Or Swim to trade. I wired funds from my local ASB bank, no problems. I cant remember the fees but it wasnt too drastic. Well it didn't bother me anyway, I know some people are dead against fees. I have yet to wire any money back from the States to my account. My only thoughts now are whether there is a way to place trades with a local broker to make things easier come tax time, while using TOS to research and for charts etc. Im pretty new to trading so its a case of discovery, but always open to help from more experienced traders.