sharetrader
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

quote:Rather, I speak for all those who endured Cold Duck, Poulet Poulet and similar beverages
    and a some 'Montana Pearl' thrown in......lovely bottle, but s h i t e the kick.....got them silly everytime....

*WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE STOCKMARKET FACTORY*

Banned

Wonderful news. They can't sell the stuff overseas, they're producing mountains of it, so they'll have to sell it to me - real cheap.

Oh for the days of the revolting bubblies. How did we survive? And Blue Nun was considered classy!

Awryly. What do you recommend for Pinot Noir?
    *WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE STOCKMARKET FACTORY*

Banned

Ouch. There are so many of the top-liners I haven't tried yet - Cloudy Bay, Felton Road, Fromm La Strada, Gibbston, Greenhough, Martinborough Vineyard, Palliser Estate, Pegasus Bay, etc, etc. Many of these are classics and most $50+. (The price is pretty good for what you get. You can pay many multiples of that for imports that are no better quality.)

Of those I have tried, it's hard to go past Neudorf Home Vineyard or Ata Rangi - both in the same category. But unless you're loaded (with dosh and/or booze), you won't want to drink them too often. And they are 'occasion' wines for those with at least a basic palate.

High on my list of good average quaffers are Sherwood Estate and Tasman Bay Nelson. Neudorf also produces a 2nd (or 3rd) tier pinot noir that's a cut above these two in quality and price (about $28). Trouble is it's almost impossible to get. Most of it goes overseas!!

Again though there's heaps I haven't tried.

thought I better but in here, any Pinot made by COW ( Central Otago wineries) Dean Shaw winemaker very good!Part owned by Sam Neill whose Two Paddocks Pinot is very good, along with Peregrine,Kawarau Estate. Nth Canterbury Pegasus Bay & Floating Mountain, I've even heard they grow the stuff in the Pig island also??!!

Banned

Ah, a southern man. But you're right, jrbl; the south produces some great and distinctive noirs. Must try a few.

Yeah I'm a bit of a snob, just like I NEVER buy Australian wine, I'm finding it just as hard to buy Nth Island grog, but every time I see martinborough pinot I see huge Numbers attached. Personally alot of the Central grape farmers are 'extracting the micheal' when it comes to price, but some of those Wairarapa growers are dreaming.
    Should check out Mountford Estate in Waipara also , they have a blind wine maker so it's a bit cloudy but tastes superb.

Banned

Still hard to go past Aussie cab savs - particularly on price.

THE KING says do you think there could ever be a WAR beteen North & South NZ.

Regards THE KING