sharetrader
Page 18 of 273 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I got talked into this pup by some guy with an XXL holding...kicking myself that I should know better and wait till the technical's showed a rebound...now licking my wounds because I'm underwater on this and licking my wounds on PPH as well...running out of saliva.
    Hope you are not referring to me . I never talk people into buying shares ... only put the facts I knew about MPG on the table for everybody to see, and so I assume it was the facts speaking for themselves.

As far as I know - that facts have not changed ... i.e. I still see MPG (at this price) as a solid long term investment (or midterm in case the share price might in some months again get ahead of itself ...);

In my view a valid choice for somebody "hunting for value". Not so sure about "digging for bones" ... but this is probably just because I am not that deep into the canine psyche, though I understand that canines consider bones as treasure ...

They say the market is in the short term a voting machine and in the long term a weighing machine. Haven't found many people good in predicting votes (well, not me - I missed in correctly predicting the recent election disasters), but predicting weighing results I find easier.

I expect (in a months time or so) a 2017 result as per their Feb announcement (great revenue growth, small earnings drop) and I expect indications for a bumper FY 2018 - at least revenue-wise. If this happens, than I am pretty sure that the share price will look after itself.

What I don't know is whether they managed to get on top of their manufacturing trouble ... but hey, should we really assume that a New Zealand company is not able to learn from its early mistakes? What happened to Kiwi ingenuity?

Discl: holding and not too worried about the current SP jitter ... but obviously monitoring the news

DYOR;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Relax guys, it's not as if you paid $2 for the stock, another 6 months and you both could be 30c in the blue. PS-Im feeling more grumpy about Sum's current share price direction, hard to comprehend why you would sell it to buy Oceania. PPS-Buying in a down trend can be fun Roger, it's kinda like big game fishing if you choose the right stock.
    Be careful where you troll your lures mate. Only go fishing for big game in companies that really are stupidly low in terms of their SP and where management and directors have earned the respect and trust of the market. SUM is one of those companies, this one is definitely NOT ! No way I'd double down on this puppy punt !

BP Your SWOT analysis was good, I only have myself to blame for breaking one of my own rules about buying in a downtrend. I know better and deserve a beating if one is coming.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-04-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

https://www.nzx.com/companies/MPG/announcements/300187

NZ super bought more i see... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGrogan View Post
    https://www.nzx.com/companies/MPG/announcements/300187

NZ super bought more i see... interesting.
    ACC and them known for their long term investing horizon. Buy a pup and hope it grows up into a well performing highly useful guide dog
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

ACC and them known for their long term investing horizon. Buy a pup and hope it grows up into a well performing highly useful guide dog
    Seems logical. Do you know any examples of companies they have done this with in the past? i haven't really followed the NZSF over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGrogan View Post
    Seems logical. Do you know any examples of companies they have done this with in the past? i haven't really followed the NZSF over the years.
    I haven't really followed them much either mate but there's some useful information in their monthly updates, the latest of which is here https://www.nzsuperfund.co.nz/sites/...e%20Report.pdf

I haven't really followed them much either mate but there's some useful information in their monthly updates, the latest of which is here https://www.nzsuperfund.co.nz/sites/...e%20Report.pdf
    Cheers for the info

just want to say thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone. im kinda new to trading but i want to take it a bit more seriously now (sick of savings doing nothing in the bank) so interested in hearing everyones ideas. ive had fun dabbling in the past - good times with power company IPOs, not so good with fruit companies APF.

sounds like you guys do a lot of homework (which i understand is the sensible thing to do) but can i ask do you find the market is driven just as much by random rumours vs. solid financial data? is that frustrating or does that just add to the fun of it all?

Quote Originally Posted by nocomment View Post
    just want to say thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone. im kinda new to trading but i want to take it a bit more seriously now (sick of savings doing nothing in the bank) so interested in hearing everyones ideas. ive had fun dabbling in the past - good times with power company IPOs, not so good with fruit companies APF.

sounds like you guys do a lot of homework (which i understand is the sensible thing to do) but can i ask do you find the market is driven just as much by random rumours vs. solid financial data? is that frustrating or does that just add to the fun of it all?
    I was in the same boat as you late 2015 - read anything and everything out there, take a closer look at the underlying business rather than peering into the stocks performance/charts/price targets before you make a decision to take a piece of a company for yourself...

There is plenty of revenue growth to come leading up to 2020 for MPG... hoping management will handle their "inefficiencies" a little better in the near future.

MPG is worth a look for a long term investor, if you want exposure to the construction industry you may want to look at Steel and Tube as well... DYOR

Metro consistantly say they excel at customer service well heres a tip - currently when you want a quote for work it is sent to there head office and then quoted and sent back, maybe mpg could add a email reply ( thanks for contacting us we have received your query and will be in touch shortly ) instead of nothing and having to chase up whether email was actually received.

There not the only ones that lack at this simple customer service maybe its not there fault they do glass not I.T.
    one step ahead of the herd