sharetrader
Page 133 of 273 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2726

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    Fake news - yes me guilty! (I posted mid day when MPG was sliding down, but it ended up even for the day.)

However, the following graph showing MPG's performance v the NZX top 50 is not fake news.

Only brave or foolish people fight the trend IMHO. One day when the trend reverses MPG may redeem itself, however until that time I'll be staying well away. GLH.

Attachment 9552
    Sorry, I couldn't resist that one, I must have Presidential aspirations. Waiting next announcement to see if there is another cliff.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by mshierlaw View Post
    Sorry, I couldn't resist that one, I must have Presidential aspirations. Waiting next announcement to see if there is another cliff.
    All cool.......take care out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    All cool.......take care out there!
    Best I have heard from a glazier who has some MPG shares :

Why don't they change the company's name to Metro Non-Performing Glass until they actual start performing!

I suggested he make a request to the NZX to get the code change to MNG - actually, DOG may be more appropriate until such time the sp gets back above IPO level.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Where's the growth?

A company in trouble, bought cheap by private equity, financially engineered now to sell into a strong market?
    Forgot I wrote this on 2 July 2014 - second posting on this thread actually.

So do watch very carefully if I decide to punt on this sucker!

Question: pg 72 of annual report lists top 20 shareholders, but then lists substantial shareholders on the next page. What is the difference and why are substantial shareholders not shown on the top 20 list?
    Supplementary question: Which of the shareholders listed have “stoploss” triggers such as exit from the nzx50, etc, which of course will tell us if we’re at the top or bottom of the cliff.
    Of course this list may/will have substantially changed over the past 9 months...

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Question: pg 72 of annual report lists top 20 shareholders, but then lists substantial shareholders on the next page. What is the difference and why are substantial shareholders not shown on the top 20 list?
    I didn't check the report (i.e. this is a generic response), but in general are "substantial shareholders" shareholders who hold more than 5% of all shares. For this exercise will be holdings of the same person eligible to vote but spread over several holdings be added up (e.g. you might hold some of your shares personally, some through a family trust you are controlling and some through a company you are director of and some more through a company the company you are controlling has purchased).

Some of your substantial shareholders will control several holdings, which together are substantial but on its own may or may not make it into the Top 20 (and in any case have a different name than yours);

Top 20 shareholders are just the top 20 holdings under their legal name, irrespective of who is controlling them ... If you take the example above, than one shareholder might control three of the top 20 holdings.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Supplementary question: Which of the shareholders listed have “stoploss” triggers such as exit from the nzx50, etc, which of course will tell us if we’re at the top or bottom of the cliff.
    This is a rhetoric question, isn't it? However - in general are stocks dropping out of an index not falling down a cliff (look e.g. what happened when HLG left the index). There is however likely to be some ripple.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

A specific example is that a lot of funds hold there shares through custodians. The custodian becomes a top 20 shareholder but represents many funds. The funds themselves aren't that larger shareholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    A specific example is that a lot of funds hold there shares through custodians. The custodian becomes a top 20 shareholder but represents many funds. The funds themselves aren't that larger shareholder.
    Can anybody tell me why a fund would hold shares through a custodian. Why have this extra layer?

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Can anybody tell me why a fund would hold shares through a custodian. Why have this extra layer?
    In the event the fund gets into trouble, investors are safeguarded... also admin n all that shi.

Much was made of MPG going into NZX50 and fund managers like Milford & Harbour building up decent stakes in the company.

So what do posters think the sp will be for all the index funds to get out at close of business today?