Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I Will Invest

14 20.00%
  • No I Will Not Invest

56 80.00%
Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I think its more risky even than it was before but still could return - it was a tad overpriced (just a tad) but had all the hallmarks of a well managed enterprise and doing a rights issue supports that view . But now its underpriced because of social distancing and movies.
    I cant see how it wont take ages for movies to regain popularity and this will undermine the business plan even for the recurring revenue , maybe not straight away but it will eat it away.
    Im seeing covid 19 as a bit of a social reset and this will only increase peoples desire to stay home and stream
    Movies have been fighting the winds of change and those headwinds just got a lot stronger now So I'm a lot less keen than I was, despite respect for the management.
    Found this to be a reasonably useful summary of some of those headwinds... https://www.matthewball.vc/all/covidmovies

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Ten View Post
    Found this to be a reasonably useful summary of some of those headwinds... https://www.matthewball.vc/all/covidmovies
    yeh I don't think its hard to find those reasons, however I've also read some a stunning history of movies saying they always bounce back as a form of popular entertainment. I may have linked it in this thread even.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    yeh I don't think its hard to find those reasons, however I've also read some a stunning history of movies saying they always bounce back as a form of popular entertainment. I may have linked it in this thread even.
    yes I did

here is the quote
    There's no real indication people will stop going to the movies, that it is a thing of the past, or that Netflix poses a major threat to cinema. While in the US movie ticket sales have fallen slightly over time (not including 2018), box office takings are growing strongly. Moreover, US cinema ticket sales still dwarf global Netflix subscriptions. The "death" of cinema has been prophesied four times since the onset of commercial cinema in the early-20th century. Three of these have proved toothless. Television, popularised in the 1950s, was the source of the first major panic, followed by home video in the 1980s and internet streaming in the 2000s. The fourth, the video game, has replaced movies as the dominant audio-visual medium, but involves sufficiently different practices to pose no real long-term threat to the viability of cinema.

and here is the link to the article

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...ectid=12046909 which is from mid 2018

even if it takes a couple of years for people to return to cinema en masse that will be enough for Vista. I am trying not to under-rate this possibility.

Last edited by peat; 16-04-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    Boyo @ $1.05 for the SPP, huge discount on last trades @ $1.40 ( was there a pump here ? )
    OMG..How sus is Tuesday's and Wednesdays Trading...

Vista share offer document mentions strong support from their lender ASB..

ASB have reduced margin lending facility for Vista from 60% to 0%

There is a hint there

Outside thinking.

Cap raise done and dusted (well for the institutions) holders to get 1 for 4 at around $1...... and so the SP climbs 19% today.

Is it window dressing, or is there some pent up demand? Whatever, nice to see some attention being focused on VGL again.

IMO

Im over mainstream theatres for movies.Who wants to watch 23 mins of ads before the movie or pay close to $20 to find someone nearby on their ph and so destroying the "ride". But its streaming that i think is the big killer for real this time.Look at the new highs of Amazon, Netflix etc. Alot of those customers will be captured hereon and i dont blame them.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Im over mainstream theatres for movies.Who wants to watch 23 mins of ads before the movie or pay close to $20 to find someone nearby on their ph and so destroying the "ride". But its streaming that i think is the big killer for real this time.Look at the new highs of Amazon, Netflix etc. Alot of those customers will be captured hereon and i dont blame them.
    ignoring your exaggerations to make your point (Barely 5 mins of ads OMHO, and I seldom pay more than $12.00,) I beg to differ.

I was a frequent movie goer pre Covid, and will return when possible even tho' I subscribe to Netflix.
    Most of the cinema's in our area attracted good audiences across all age ranges (school holiday's just an example how embedded the treat of a movie is.) Watching on a small screen not an option for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Movie theaters are still still pretty packed. There's a big demographic spread that still go to movies. Heck I don't even like paying to see a movie but I still see them at the theaters for completely social reasons.

Agree with Left Fields point.

And disclosure not a holder

IMO

But you are speaking from past experience and i question the word packed.Whats it going to be like in the future.Many things are going to permanently change imo. Cinemas will become redundant and thats not even taking VR into consideration.