Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I Will Invest

14 20.00%
  • No I Will Not Invest

56 80.00%
Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    Mmmm.... why would Netflix or Disney (Apple etc etc) stream through VGL when they have their own streaming services?

The limiting factor you mention seems to underline this difficulty.
    Movie theatres (not Netflix, Disney, etc) are streaming to customers at home using Vista products
    Last edited by tango; 06-10-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Movie theatres (not Netflix, Disney, etc) are streaming to customers at home using Vista products
    Appreciated, thanks Tango. Top marks to VGL for innovating.

However, big players still control a lot of the content (and their own streaming) so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    Appreciated, thanks Tango. Top marks to VGL for innovating.

However, big players still control a lot of the content (and their own streaming) so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Yes! It's a very clever strategy to adapt to the market but without movies to stream theatres are stuck. The Chinese market will likely be okay because they are on top of COVID and its people have been through SARS and bounced back from that so will happily go to movies wearing masks. US, UK, Australia etc are much tricker.

Vista have been innovative, but the movie theatres also need to be innovative without a steady flow of new movies to promote. I was thinking they could stream classics (e.g. a Marilyn Munroe festival), or smaller Indie movies that don't usually get the big theatre treatment to people at home but even then most of the classics are still available on streaming platforms. Watch this space...
    Last edited by tango; 06-10-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Guru

Vista has a strong cash position. There’s no need to panic sell............
    Panic sell ...a very old word used by an optimistic individual fighting the market.
    Tango ...During my 47 years buying/selling shares there is one golden rule I have learnt..Never fight Mr Market..

The reason way I said I should've sold last week is I am a TA investor and I failed to exit when TA triggered mass sell signals at around 170c. There is a reason why mass signals get triggered..it's usually news or rumour that us Plebs are not privy to at the time...A few days later us Plebs were informed about that bad news (see above sharetrader posts with links)..Now they are 155c.......When using any investment strategies you should stick to that system..Have to be disciplined!!! and not be swayed by emotion or your own beliefs....I am 9% worse off by being ill disciplined..I should have been out (exited) awaiting re-entry.....
    Last edited by Hoop; 06-10-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Panic sell ...a very old word used by an optimistic individual fighting the market.
    Tango ...During my 47 years buying/selling shares there is one golden rule I have learnt..Never fight Mr Market..

The reason way I said I should've sold last week is I am a TA investor and I failed to exit when TA triggered mass sell signals at around 170c. There is a reason why mass signals get triggered..it's usually news or rumour that us Plebs are not privy to at the time...A few days later us Plebs were informed about that bad news (see above sharetrader posts with links)..Now they are 155c.......When using any investment strategies you should stick to that system..Have to be disciplined!!! and not be swayed by emotion or your own beliefs....I am 9% worse off by being ill disciplined..I should have been out (exited) awaiting re-entry.....
    Totally agree Hoop and appreciate your honesty.

Haha! Yes, an old fashioned word and my apologies because I was confusing you with all the Sharesies people that buy and sell on impulse.

I agree with you on never fighting Mr Market.

I hope you at least got your sell order in at $1.55 before the market dropped to $1.45 today.

I sold most of my shares and kept a small parcel but that was probably over optimistic of me. VGL are dealing with circumstances they have no control over with closed movie theatres and delayed movie releases...

Guru

Haha! Yes, an old fashioned word and my apologies because I was confusing you with all the Sharesies people that buy and sell on impulse.

I agree with you on never fighting Mr Market.

I hope you at least got your sell order in at $1.55 before the market dropped to $1.45 today.

I sold most of my shares and kept a small parcel but that was probably over optimistic of me. VGL are dealing with circumstances they have no control over with closed movie theatres and delayed movie releases...
    No I didn't..I still have VGL shares..all of them....The problem is..if one goes against their Strategy discipline and don't sell as I did, you end up being at the mercy of the Market and create your own decision dilemma where there is no right or wrong answer...The dilemma (if I sell the shares will go up, if I don't sell the shares will continue to go down) creates anxiety, the mind demons slowly destroys your confidence and self esteem.

I'm currently at the mercy of the VGL Market...I have become immune to mind demons but still suffer regrets...

Frankly the market has been crazy all year....The crazy VGL example has been these last 3 days ..close 155c, close 145c, close 159c...
    Last edited by Hoop; 08-10-2020 at 09:33 PM.

No I didn't..I still have VGL shares..all of them....The problem is..if one goes against their Strategy discipline and don't sell as I did, you end up being at the mercy of the Market and create your own decision dilemma where there is no right or wrong answer...The dilemma (if I sell the shares will go up, if I don't sell the shares will continue to go down) creates anxiety, the mind demons slowly destroys your confidence and self esteem.

I'm currently at the mercy of the VGL Market...I have become immune to mind demons but still suffer regrets...

Frankly the market has been crazy all year....The crazy VGL example has been these last 3 days ..close 155c, close 145c, close 159c...
    Ah yes the coulda shoulda woulda. I had a brief moment of that when I noticed that VGL popped back up to $1.59
    Absolutely incredible and I can only assume that Sharesies peeps think it's a bargain or Kingfish are doubling down.

Keeping the discipline is hard in investing. I don't do TA (still learning how that works but am starting to play with it) but I do have my own rules I like to stick with.

One of those rules is to be prepared to murder your darlings. I first bought into VGL at the recommendation of my broker at $6. I bought more when the market dropped. However, the whole game has changed now and I have had to reassess the fundamentals.

Frankly the movie industry right now is looking insecure. The Chinese market is probably still going to be strong. They have their own movie culture and the Chinese are used to wearing masks and likely will go back to movies. India have a world of pain ahead of them getting on top of covid 19 but maybe Bollywood will be back in full force in a couple of years. USA, UK, Australia and New Zealand I can see losing market share to streaming.

As an aside I used to kibbitz Buffett and Gates playing bridge. What bridge teaches you is that you can do everything 100% correct but still get a bad outcome. Investing is mainly skill but there are a lot of factors you simply cannot account for. Right now the world is in a recession artificially kept on life support with stimulus packages and there is a deranged orange faced man who moves the market 3-5% every second time he opens his mouth. You simply can't cover all the eventualities. You just make the best decision you can at the time with the information you have and your own system for predicting outcomes and your own goals.

One analyst's opinion on the movie industry right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkvm8_Rg16A&t=199s
    Last edited by tango; 09-10-2020 at 10:15 AM.