Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I Will Invest

14 20.00%
  • No I Will Not Invest

56 80.00%
Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Banned

That is the problem with all the newbies around....buying without look at the fundamentals.

Article on the NZ herald. Very bleak outlook...most cinemas are not operating...

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    That is the problem with all the newbies around....buying without look at the fundamentals.

Article on the NZ herald. Very bleak outlook...most cinemas are not operating...
    On the other hand, a great trade in the last two days!

Guru

There is a serious disconnect these last few months..basically the market couldn't care a sh1t about fundamentals.... its all sentiment..

Louisphan, it aint the big fish or insiders at play here..its the state of the market..There were a lot of small trades today in Vista, 1990 in total, so that about an average of $2000 a trade..kinda looks like smaller fish to me..The madness of today's price swing suggests the inexperienced fish jumped in at opening (amateur hour) and push the price to unrealistic levels before lunch ..+20% up on not flash news (some was old news too) does make you wonder, eh... and when the tide turned the wiser fish started profit taking..It crossed my mind to sell this morning and buy back in tomorrow...successful swing trading is a skillful game, and part of the skill is to realise when the price gets to an obscene high (or low) and trade accordingly..I think a 20% rise before lunch was rather obscene..and there are a lot of smart experienced investors out there there that make a living out of taking these opportunities..
    There are a lot of tricks to the trade..swing trading, bounce trading, momentum spikes, breakouts, pattern breaks, stop /loss, value buying (fundamental opportunities), etc..Experience investors knows them all

Big fish and insider trading often get the blame, but with most NZ stocks being illiquid its the emotional small reef fish that create short term price volatility.
    below is an example of trading depth around closing time..the small stuff still operating ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hoop; 04-06-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    There is a serious disconnect these last few months..basically the market couldn't care a sh1t about fundamentals.... its all sentiment..

Louisphan, it aint the big fish or insiders at play here..its the state of the market..There were a lot of small trades today in Vista, 1990 in total, so that about an average of $2000 a trade..kinda looks like smaller fish to me..The madness of today's price swing suggests the inexperienced fish jumped in at opening (amateur hour) and push the price to unrealistic levels before lunch ..+20% up on not flash news (some was old news too) does make you wonder, eh... and when the tide turned the wiser fish started profit taking..It crossed my mind to sell this morning and buy back in tomorrow...successful swing trading is a skillful game, and part of the skill is to realise when the price gets to an obscene high (or low) and trade accordingly..I think a 20% rise before lunch was rather obscene..and there are a lot of smart experienced investors out there there that make a living out of taking these opportunities..
    There are a lot of tricks to the trade..swing trading, bounce trading, momentum spikes, breakouts, pattern breaks, stop /loss, value buying (fundamental opportunities), etc..Experience investors knows them all

Big fish and insider trading often get the blame, but with most NZ stocks being illiquid its the emotional small reef fish that create short term price volatility.
    below is an example of trading depth around closing time..the small stuff still operating ...
    well said..............

Banned

Well...little fish said....put in the drawer. ..

Guru

Well...little fish said....put in the drawer. ..
    thats where mine is....could be another drop tomorrow...seems to be a global softening today (tonight NZtime) with Asia losing steam and Europe falling into the red as I type..Maybe this global rally is going to have a breather tomorrow..Vista being a high beta stock with shallow depth at the moment might have felt this change of wind as the day wore on and the smart investors sniffed the wind and realised their profits..who knows??
    Anyway I think this rally (global) is based on large amounts of available cash (thanks to large QE) and the rosy anticipation that when the lock down ends everything will once again be hunky dory...time will tell ..eh?

I am watching the rosy anticipation part of the equation rather than fundamentals...My drawer may empty out very quickly if sentiment heads south....
    Disc VGL PLX PPH
    Last edited by Hoop; 04-06-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Guru

I like the sector you have there Hoop
    Bugger I missed the last leg up for PPH,I've been out of them twice but needed the dosh for other things
    Last edited by kiora; 05-06-2020 at 03:18 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    I like the sector you have there Hoop
    Bugger I missed the last leg up for PPH,I've been out of them twice but needed the dosh for other things
    ...Hmmm PPH a big pull back after it big rally..could be a opportunity to re-enter..eh

Yeah most of my eggs are in the digital/data management software companies..the sector is getting crowded but so far so good..Like all companies its their customers that make the revenue...For Vista's sake.. I hope the movie industry has had a bloody good shake up and now sees the world as a different place and there is a need to innovate at a faster pace...they have been a tardy lot in the past..eh..hard to imagine only 12 years ago most cinemas were still using film projectors
    Last edited by Hoop; 05-06-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post

You have so many good points that the newbie should learn and understand in NZ or any share market.

Just to be more clear, this specific situation of VGL were totally insider's game. The share went up 20% one day before the new out. It is only insider who know the information bought the share at that time for sure. The small fish have two option, join the game or standing out and look. Smart/ experienced Investor may join and sell quickly or standing out and watch the game, but I believe many of inexperienced or gamble investors will join the game.

Many say "News out, SELL!" or "Don't play what you do not understand", I follow the suggestion this time, but to be honest not sure I can control myself next time .

The shares price hold up very well despite the trend from the Us today.