70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I Will Invest

14 20.00%
  • No I Will Not Invest

56 80.00%
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default VGL - Vista Group.

My initial thoughts are that I would also be cashing up into IPO tech exuberance about now too, especially when increasingly folk are viewing and/or downloading movies for free off the internet.

“Existing shareholders will sell down up about 37 percent of their stake and their remaining shares will be held in escrow until 2016, after the company's 2015 results”

I’d be looking for some firm market analysis in support of the proposed growth also for reasons above.

“Forecast revenues in the current financial year grow to $49.9 million and again to $61,5 million in the 2015 financial year”

Still, one must be prepared to read through a prospectus before passing judgement, let’s see.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU140...irm-to-ipo.htm

Short term prospects may be okay but I think long term it's dismal for the industry. The demographics of current movie goers are baby boomers and young children so movies that do okay are ones that feature 60 year old English actors, Judy Dench, Ian MeKellan etc, and kids films in the school holidays.

There is an entire generation missing in the middle. Some exceptions are when a well hyped block buster comes along - think The Hobbit for eg. - but they are very occasional. Anyone who is 8-45 years old, in the main, know how to illegally download movies and we just don't see them in any great numbers. As baby boomers die off and young kids grow up there's definitely going to be less demand to pay for something that they can get for free.

This from someone who works at the coal face of the film industry...
    Last edited by youngatheart; 04-07-2014 at 04:35 PM.

"Oh, the old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be."

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs up It a big world with plenty of diversity

Quote Originally Posted by youngatheart View Post
    Short term prospects may be okay but I think long term it's dismal for the industry. The demographics of current movie goers are baby boomers and young children so movies that do okay are ones that feature 60 year old English actors, Judy Dench, Ian MeKellan etc, and kids films in the school holidays.

There is an entire generation missing in the middle. Some exceptions are when a well hyped block buster comes along - think The Hobbit for eg. - but they are very occasional. Anyone who is 8-45 years old, in the main, know how to illegally download movies and we just don't see them in any great numbers. As baby boomers die off and young kids grow up there's definitely going to be less demand to pay for something that they can get for free.

This from someone who works at the coal face of the film industry...
    Whlist that may be true for the bit of the world you live in things are a little different here in Indonesia.

You can buy a pirated copy of any new release movie from a proper shop in a good shopping mall for the equivalent of $1. Despite this so many people want to see the movie on the big screen they form queues so far in advance and they get so long that after two failed attempts I gave trying to go see movies.

In Malaysia also, any decent movie fills the cinema show after show after show.

So maybe, globally, thing still have an upside.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

Discs:
    This in not an endorsement of the Vista IPO.
    DYOR.
    Try the salted popcorn.
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 04-07-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: I missed so many words out it's not funny!
    om mani peme hum

In depth interview with Holdaway
    http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Murray-Ho...3/Default.aspx

Jenny Ruth asked some good questions this morning about big increases in forecast profits and why high multiples

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/player/2602365

These are good points PT.

In my experience in South America and Mexico, Cinemas are very popular and growing. A lot of people still live with their parents and even grandparents. The cinema is a fun affordable place to go on a date or to hang out with your mates away from the house (no gardens, fewer non-commercial public spaces). Or just as popularly as a family outing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    Whlist that may be true for the bit of the world you live in things are a little different here in Indonesia.

You can buy a pirated copy of any new release movie from a proper shop in a good shopping mall for the equivalent of $1. Despite this so many people want to see the movie on the big screen they form queues so far in advance and they get so long that after two failed attempts I gave trying to go see movies.

In Malaysia also, any decent movie fills the cinema show after show after show.

So maybe, globally, thing still have an upside.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

Discs:
    This in not an endorsement of the Vista IPO.
    DYOR.
    Try the salted popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    These are good points PT.

In my experience in South America and Mexico, Cinemas are very popular and growing. A lot of people still live with their parents and even grandparents. The cinema is a fun affordable place to go on a date or to hang out with your mates away from the house (no gardens, fewer non-commercial public spaces). Or just as popularly as a family outing.
    As an immigrant myself, I share your observations . I still have to see the prospectus though so I'm not voting on our poll just yet.

Guru

Wow good first day of listing ! Didn't any sharetraders get in on this one ? Time will tell but the most successful IPO this year ? It has a dominant position in large cinema circuits, founders retaining 45%,growth opportunities with new acquisitions, cash in the bank and dividend potential

Guru

I think I read PIE funds got an allocation. Given the small size of their fund, that is a much bigger show of support than Milford taking a position.

Guru

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Arrow Just checking up on the ones no-one talks about

This one only occasionally trades but the price is now over $4 and thus it sits on a one year forward P/E of about 40 (ie against the prospectus $8M1 profit for the year ending 31 Dec 2015).

Isn't that strange? I certainly do not understand it.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum