sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by Greekwatchdog View Post
    About time these kids got off there backsides to help themselves. I bet there parents never got a free hand out.
    Every generation got their perks as well as their burdens to carry.

The parents of these kids got free education and ways cheaper houses (less average annual incomes to pay for an average house) to buy ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Nope our kids don't need any help and don't expect it, they have made a way for themselves through sheer hard work and no Govt handouts, they will of course get a share of whats left over once we depart.

And there are many young people like this, generational bashing is never helpful. Besides, how can someone blame a generation for any bad habits or traits when they themselves raised them.

The reality is a lot of people growing up today will never own a home. Me personally I don’t want one, I’d much rather build my wealth through stocks and crpyto and enjoy the freedom of being able to move about whenever I want and not participate in the madness that is the NZ property market.

Owning stocks in the retirement sector gives people who don’t have a house a perfect way of still getting exposure to it without the leverage of course (and a cheeky way of making some money back off the oldies :P).

Quote Originally Posted by allfromacell View Post
    And there are many young people like this, generational bashing is never helpful. Besides, how can someone blame a generation for any bad habits or traits when they themselves raised them.

The reality is a lot of people growing up today will never own a home.
    You are right - and make some quite fair points ... If we are not happy with the generation of our children, then we are the only ones to blame ...

Discl: Quite pleased with the development of our own children, but yes, I do see some problem cases both in the younger as well as in the older generation.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 08-12-2021 at 11:41 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Every generation blames the one before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hr64MxYpgk

It feels to me like its been a very tough year. It was never going to be a good one as I knew going in that 2022 was going to be the year I lost my Mum.

I helped her and Dad choose their retirement village in 2009...we visited about 7 different villages. We knew Dad had dementia and Mum would be alone within a short space of time after moving in. Over the next decade Mum really flourished in the retirement village she was in and made a lot of friends and she was surrounded by these good friends and family in her last few days in April. One of the key reasons I am so keen on full feature retirement villages is I saw how happy my Mum was.

The lockdown in Auckland has been truly brutal on people's mental health, myself included.

During the lockdown its been tough to see this ground down from the mid 140's as recently as a few months ago to under $1.30 a little while ago. In terms of OCA it also feel like it been a tough year and I messed about with the size of my holding quite a lot until I finally found some peace with it a little while ago, thank goodness. Having started the year at $1.45 and now in the low $1.30's, that's been tough because I'm so darn hard on myself I expect every stock I own every year will be a winner. I guess with Covid I need to set more realistic expectations and focus on the long run.

I am hoping for a recovery in 2022 to at least $1.45 by December 2022, (what it closed at in December 2020) which would by then be two years prior. Surely that's not too much to expect in 2022 ? I have set my expectations at what I believe are a very modest level with the hope that I will be pleasantly surprised. As Maverick has suggested, only time will tell.
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-12-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

The reality is a lot of people growing up today will never own a home. Me personally I don’t want one, I’d much rather build my wealth through stocks and crpyto and enjoy the freedom of being able to move about whenever I want and not participate in the madness that is the NZ property market.

Owning stocks in the retirement sector gives people who don’t have a house a perfect way of still getting exposure to it without the leverage of course (and a cheeky way of making some money back off the oldies :P).
    Can certainly leverage up mate if you want to...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greekwatchdog View Post
    About time these kids got off there backsides to help themselves. I bet there parents never got a free hand out.
    You are correct, that kids need to keep an eye on their spending habits and help themselves. I did, but also got some assistance from my parents to buy a first home, as did my sister. We were lucky that the bank of mum and dad were open for business.

They only helped us, as we had showed them we were responsible. I paid my mortgage off in 7 year, because any pay increase I got, I threw on the mortgage. Kids nowadays I have witnessed want to maintain their lifestyle, or better it if they get a pay increase. I have learned there is merit for that as well. The body is getting older and can’t do as much as when I was younger.

Guru

Yes there should have been more mentoring within companies (similar to japan/europe).

We sadly import managers from overseas while our kids are stuck on not much above the minimum wage.

Membaa

You can leverage up to 60% (ASB) Margin on your existing shareholding. Margin is a way to build your holding using the bank loan, for example borrow 60% of your holding on margin right before the Dividend, and pay it back after you've got the dividend or DRP, or keep the margin going if you think there's capital gain coming and the dividend funds the interest. Etc.

I had a conversation with my broker regarding his thoughts on buying more Oca. In summery said it’s not a buy even at current price because.

(1) EPS decreased due to less development margin and more importantly care costs increasing . Oca have a large weighting to care, Oca costs have gone up due to cvd and wage increases and the funding from the government has not matched the big increases in costs. So they are stuck and will get worse unless the government comes to the party.

(2) House prices have peaked and the risk is to the downside. So if this indeed does happen selling prices will be under pressure and existing valuations could fall.

(3) The secter is in a funk due to increasing interest rates and items above plus fear of Government intervention into the retirement secter.

(4) cvd is not over and what lays in store is still undetermined.

Anyway hope that helps. It’s only an opinion of one broker so bear that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Shareguy View Post
    I had a conversation with my broker regarding his thoughts on buying more Oca. In summery said it’s not a buy even at current price because.

(1) EPS decreased due to less development margin and more importantly care costs increasing . Oca have a large weighting to care, Oca costs have gone up due to cvd and wage increases and the funding from the government has not matched the big increases in costs. So they are stuck and will get worse unless the government comes to the party.

(2) House prices have peaked and the risk is to the downside. So if this indeed does happen selling prices will be under pressure and existing valuations could fall.

(3) The secter is in a funk due to increasing interest rates and items above plus fear of Government intervention into the retirement secter.

(4) cvd is not over and what lays in store is still undetermined.

Anyway hope that helps. It’s only an opinion of one broker so bear that in mind.
    Surely this depends upon your own investment plan time frames. If your a longer term investor(ten yrs or greater) and not into trying to make a quick buck, then i dont think these are of to much concern as focus is overall growth of OCA and you shouldn't be to concerned.