sharetrader
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    BP, I would add to your factors for consideration -D. Wages for young people are much higher in Aus than Nz, and have been for the last 40 - 50 years. Being NZ citizens they lack access to Aus govt subsidised health and other benefits but that’s more an oldies problem. I anticipate a tipping point soon where many NZ youth will leave NZ to work in Australia when restrictions ease - or sooner.
    That argument has always been there and rings some truth, youth want to travel and earn.

However most of the people entering to nz in 2019 were nz citizens by a substantial mile, followed by Chinese, Indian, South Africans, Australians and Phillipines.

This indicates heavy demand from People wanting to return.

BP, I would add to your factors for consideration -D. Wages for young people are much higher in Aus than Nz, and have been for the last 40 - 50 years. Being NZ citizens they lack access to Aus govt subsidised health and other benefits but that’s more an oldies problem. I anticipate a tipping point soon where many NZ youth will leave NZ to work in Australia when restrictions ease - or sooner.
    Any young folks leaving NZ just increasing the pressure on NZ to increase immigration - given that we need the workforce - i.e. people going on OE will in no way reduce the pressure on the housing situation.

Looking at our personal situation ... 33% of our kids on OE did return this year with his family to NZ - boosting our workforce (this is good) and increase the pressure on housing ;

The other thing is - only a very small number of job seekers is driven exclusively by the salary (and this is good so - good companies don't need people just motivated by money, they need people motivated by challenges and interesting tasks).

Most job seekers look at
    - a sufficient salary to make a living (but this is as well considering the cost of living)
    - an interesting task
    - career opportunities
    - social security
    - having a job and a life as well (life / work balance)
    - opportunities to enjoy the outdoors
    - closeness to family / friends

Most of these issues are for Kiwis not better in Australia and some are much worse.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Conversely many aged workers will come back to rely on NZ super (unless they are eligible for Aussie age pension).

edit: and healthcare too.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 14-12-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Most job seekers look at
    - a sufficient salary to make a living (but this is as well considering the cost of living)
    - an interesting task
    - career opportunities
    - social security
    - having a job and a life as well (life / work balance)
    - opportunities to enjoy the outdoors
    - closeness to family / friends

Most of these issues are for Kiwis not better in Australia and some are much worse.
    While for the most part I agree with you, doesn't the net flow of people from NZ - AUS (I assume, don't know the figures) over a long period of time suggest that job seekers weightings of those factors end up favouring AUS?

Quote Originally Posted by sampson View Post
    While for the most part I agree with you, doesn't the net flow of people from NZ - AUS (I assume, don't know the figures) over a long period of time suggest that job seekers weightings of those factors end up favouring AUS?
    Not really - just ask yourself why NZ had over many years a net immigration gain - and this looking particularly at well paid professionals (like engineers, analysts, software developers, technicians) who all came from countries with higher income levels - i.e. they all took a pay-cut and swapped that for better quality of life.

I know what I am talking about - I used to be one of them :

It is a bit like selling stuff - anybody who needs to compete based on price is screwed. The same is true for countries who only can compete for workforce by offering high salaries.

Much better to compete on quality - and in the context of competing for professionals this is to compete with offering a better quality of life instead of more money.

As indicated - NZ used to do quite well in this game, it is just the last couple of years that the Kiwi government dropped the mask and did show how little they really care about immigrants. The arrogant attitude of our anti immigration minister will be a problem for NZ over many years to come (people have long memories), but it has nothing to do with the size of our salaries.

I suppose however we are now really deviating from the thread ... if you want to continue this discussion, find an appropriate thread (or start a new one) and let us know about it.
    ----

well i thought i got out to early but i see its been hammered back down again ... 1.30 test again ?
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    well i thought i got out to early but i see its been hammered back down again ... 1.30 test again ?

Hammered down is't the language I'd use, chart looks nice and volume is low so a cent here and there doesn't mean much. Important to remember it's trading ex a $0.02 dividend so looks nice and healthy to me. Buying this stock under NTA was always going to be a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by allfromacell View Post
    Hammered down is't the language I'd use, chart looks nice and volume is low so a cent here and there doesn't mean much. Important to remember it's trading ex a $0.02 dividend so looks nice and healthy to me. Buying this stock under NTA was always going to be a gift.
    Exactly.

I guess it is just important to understand bulls lingo. Sort of alternative facts stuff. If he says a stock is "being hammered down" (and he loves this expression) than what he really means is "hope to get some more people to sell without doing analysis to give me a still cheaper entry".

Isn't it great that he says the stock gets hammered down, is it?
    ----

I sold down part of my holding today using ASB Securities. For 30k shares, I received 47 separate e-mails for individual trades. 3 were for trades of a single share and a handful were for less than 10! Sharesies?

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    I sold down part of my holding today using ASB Securities. For 30k shares, I received 47 separate e-mails for individual trades. 3 were for trades of a single share and a handful were for less than 10! Sharesies?
    Just move your account to Jarden ... with them you get max one statement per order per trading day ...
    ----