sharetrader

Yes indeed some of us did indeed agree that SUM was fabulous value back then and that RYM was heavily overpriced.

Share prices follow earnings per share. SUM have done a splendid job of growing earnings and the others haven't.
    My hint for the next 5 years in terms of which company will have the best growth is the past is the best guide to the future.
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-04-2022 at 11:01 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

The question is now which share will double in value first from here, SUM $23 or OCA $2.08, my pick is OCA.

Mr Beagle sir what is your order of preference for retirement village operators on a 10+ year timeframe?

Or do you tend to jump in and out of investments (I think I've seen you buy & sell some stocks within a year)?

Just keen to know how you operate your portfolio (and also the answer to the first question).

Thanks
    BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!

In the very short term OCA is so beaten up I think it will outperform the others in this sector.

In the medium to long term there is no question in my mind that SUM is highly likely to outperform the others.
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-04-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The question is now which share will double in value first from here, SUM $23 or OCA $2.08, my pick is OCA.
    I think you might find Summerset will do it first if they continue to grow the way they are. Although with shortages of stuff, staff and tradies that could trip up that idea.

Was chatting a director of one of these not for profit age care outfits yesterday.

Thing that struck me (even though blindingly obvious) was that outfits like his can't live on property revaluations alone. They need positive cash flows.

Just as well Oceania has accommodating shareholders and bankers - as I noted the other day Oceania have burnt through $252m of cash since May 2017 and in spite of these negative cash flows handed out $79m in dividends. Total cash out of $331m - funded by $98m from shareholders and $230m of additional borrowing.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

i was chatting to a real estate agent the other day , they were saying i have lots of listings now compared to 6 mths ago but the problem now is not many people are buying houses at the moment.

wonder how that effect those people wanting to sell up to move to retirement villages ? accept lower house price and hope have enough to afford retirement unit as those companies want to keep raising prices for these units as they cant drop the price as winner says they live on property revaluations
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i was chatting to a real estate agent the other day , they were saying i have lots of listings now compared to 6 mths ago but the problem now is not many people are buying houses at the moment.

wonder how that effect those people wanting to sell up to move to retirement villages ? accept lower house price and hope have enough to afford retirement unit as those companies want to keep raising prices for these units as they cant drop the price as winner says they live on property revaluations
    Most houses are worth more than a retirement unit and those buying the most expensive units would also have an expensive house to sell or other assets available to sell as well, remember its a needs based business, if you need to sell you sell. OCA units are on the whole moderately priced compared to their competitors to boot.
    Last edited by couta1; 28-04-2022 at 09:19 AM.

DFABPCLMB

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    s I noted the other day Oceania have burnt through $252m of cash since May 2017 and in spite of these negative cash flows handed out $79m in dividends. Total cash out of $331m - funded by $98m from shareholders and $230m of additional borrowing.
    I have been looking at the exact same thing. This is what I am seeing from FY16-H1FY22. Percentages to the right show how the nett capex of $770m to date was funded. ILU capacity built & acquired since the beginning of FY16 is 602 excluding decommissions and conversions. Plus nett care suite capacity has increased by a similar figure since the end of FY17. Combine that with future pipeline activity and I see this as a growth business. The question for me is whether future ORA receipts are enough to cover expansion plans.

OCA-CF - Copy.JPG

Depends how you define "growth business". Agree they're growing in terms of size and facilities.
    My definition of a growth stock is a company that grows realised eps consistently. No point growing in size if you're not growing eps.
    Last edited by Beagle; 28-04-2022 at 10:47 AM.