sharetrader
    Legend

Thanks folks for the views .. mostly supporting why I'm elsewhere actively banking real returns and
    large dividends from real companies engaged in perhaps some of the less green activities..

It is what it is and I dont mind parting with a few bucket fills of tax on distributions from real activities
    rather than 33% DWT on concocted internal funny money revaluations which may or may not have
    generated any real cash, before parts thereof are arbitarily divided up for distribution as a feel good
    exercise.. What happens when the revaluations across companies in the sector mostly start going south ?

How many in the sector are any better than Cashflow neutral - perhaps to the point where revaluations
    are no longer the big notional revenue, then real Occupant activities will pick up and pay similar dividend yields in an economy which is increasingly bobbing in between the passing storm clouds, with capsizes expected to become more frequent ?

For what it's worth I see little point in paying excessive DWT on mediocre dividend yield returns in an inflationary climate while the SP continues sailing south along with business confidence locally .. that can also be said of many NZX listed companies not just this sector.
    Last edited by nztx; 26-09-2022 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Thanks folks for the views .. mostly supporting why I'm elsewhere actively banking real returns and
    large dividends from real companies engaged in perhaps some of the less green activities..

It is what it is and I dont mind parting with a few bucket fills of tax on distributions from real activities
    rather than 33% DWT on concocted internal funny money revaluations which may or may not have
    generated any real cash, before parts thereof are arbitarily divided up for distribution as a feel good
    exercise.. What happens when the revaluations across companies in the sector mostly start going south ?

How many in the sector are any better than Cashflow neutral - perhaps to the point where revaluations
    are no longer the big notional revenue, then real Occupant activities will pick up and pay similar dividend yields in an economy which is increasingly bobbing in between the passing storm clouds, with capsizes expected to become more frequent ?

For what it's worth I see little point in paying excessive DWT on mediocre dividend yield returns in an inflationary climate while the SP continues sailing south along with business confidence locally .. that can also be said of many NZX listed companies not just this sector.
    too true better options in a bank account. esp with rates here heading higher no good for companies in this sector that rely on debt for expansion
    one step ahead of the herd

Funny thing is, it doesn't matter how much analysis you do, and how well the company should be doing, it doesn't make any difference when the markets are tuning to crap.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Poolboy View Post
    Funny thing is, it doesn't matter how much analysis you do, and how well the company should be doing, it doesn't make any difference when the markets are tuning to crap.
    Totally correct.

Disagree.

That’s when superior analysis and research allow the smart investors to snap up bargains and make serious gains WHEN markets recover.

Well, the right answer is - as always ... "it depends".

And no matter what you invest in ... better learn to embrace uncertainty!

However - some things are more predictable than others.

If you go through an economic crisis, than as a rule transport companies are more likely to benefit earlier than others. Just check the last handful of economic crisis.

If you are going into a housing crisis, than companies providing housing are more likely to do better than others.

If you are moving towards a top heavy population pyramid with increased need for care, than companies providing professional care are more likely to do better than others.

I think they are well positioned, but - whether it takes another year or handful of years until the market realizes that, who (but a trader) would care?

But of course ... we are talking likelihoods and nobody can predict the future of any individual stock or element. This is statistics for you.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

... have power to make you great

The trend is what counts and you can clearly see where this stock is headed... at least to the 88 cent low... sad though

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    The trend is what counts and you can clearly see where this stock is headed... at least to the 88 cent low... sad though
    I pick 80c before it bottoms out - property sector is not going anywhere and there is bugger all yield support with the RV stocks.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    A lot is said about EPS but in the RV sector they all have poor dividend returns compared to CPI and other established payers, with OCA the best, SUM and RYM the worst. EPS is nothing if it cannot be realised by an investor without having to sell their stock. All RV's need to realise that their investor returns are less than can be achieved by a bank term deposit (yes, it's changed fairly quickly but it is what it is). I'd not weight my investment in the RV's, which I have diversified across the sector, by EPS, as I have no intention of realising the EPS by selling my shares. Such a conundrum, EPS is a useless measure if it cannot be realised by anything other than disposing of the asset/equity. If EPS doesn't reflect in earnings distributions, then EPS is a bogus measure. OCA is still the highest paying dividend, the others are pathetic by comparison, consuming their EPS in growth and ignoring their shareholders interests in income, forcing the focus onto share price and the awkward realisation of that by having to sell to achieve it, and be taxed and fee'd, rather than underlying profit and constant growing distributions.
    I feel the same as this about many stocks, not just RV’s.
    Given we are relying on dividends to pay our bills, I really don’t want to be needing to sell shares to fund our lifestyle. So far so good. We also maintain decent sized cash buffer in case dividends diminish.

... have power to make you great

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I pick 80c before it bottoms out - property sector is not going anywhere and there is bugger all yield support with the RV stocks.
    That price would be a shock to many... in the meantime i guess you will be hated by a few.