sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Must be a really bad omen this Brent taking over ... I guess since he started it was not just OCA dropping in value - RYM and ARV (and even SUM) did drop as well. And don't forget the property stocks, they all lost huge amounts of their listed value. Bad bad move to put him into office - winner says so, and he must be right - right?

But wait ... so many things happened in the last 18 months - and maybe it wasn't Brent at all causing everything from Putins war in the Ukraine, Chinas Zero Covid policy, high inflation world wide as well as dropping property prices.

Just a thought ... keep an open mind ;
    Sounds a bit like the Government -- nothings our fault or of our doing .....but Brent needs to do what the PM says 'we must communicate or wins better'
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Sounds a bit like the Government -- nothings our fault or of our doing .....but Brent needs to do what the PM says 'we must communicate or wins better'
    I was just wondering why so many other companies went downhill as well. Do they all have bad CEO's?

Sometimes its not the fault of the captain if the ship hits a storm.

But yes, we do agree that OCA could communicate better, but this is one thing which didn't change since Brent took over .
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

I was just wondering why so many other companies went downhill as well. Do they all have bad CEO's?

Sometimes its not the fault of the captain if the ship hits a storm.

But yes, we do agree that OCA could communicate better, but this is one thing which didn't change since Brent took over .
    I think Earl was out and about with investor groups more than Brent

Maybe Brent has to use more cool words like 'pivot' - that would get many excited ....and much cooler than inflection
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Sensible comments Maverick.
    Yes I agree, thanks Mav.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    The companies are just laying into boomer brains (the only demographic that still watch the 6 pm news ) that these 4 companies are the only safe contenders to choose between when the time soon comes.
    Not quite old enough to be a boomer, I have been watching TV One news online via the on demand app recently with someone from the "silent generation". The commercials are very repetitive. The Rymans "a full life" ad hardly mentions what they offer. It is full of seniors doing various activities. Overall it seems very condescending. Marketers say that ads that annoy are very effective. If so then I think Ryman is onto a winner in raising its profile.

A full life - Ryman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxW5xNkZVQ8
    Last edited by Bjauck; 07-11-2022 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Link

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Not quite old enough to be a boomer, I have been watching TV One news online via the on demand app recently with someone from the "silent generation". The commercials are very repetitive. The Rymans "a full life" ad hardly mentions what they offer. It is full of seniors doing various activities. Overall it seems very condescending. Marketers say that ads that annoy are very effective. If so then I think Ryman is onto a winner in raising its profile.

A full life - Ryman
    It maybe condescending, but their intention is working. From what I have witnessed I feel that those from the silent generation most are hardest on themselves.

They were the hardest working, most reliable, never took a sick day, as sickness was seen as a weekness. It’s only a cold etc.

So that when a retirement village pops up they may get annoyed as as they are not ready to enter the village. You can’t work towards the future thinking I’m only 80 years old plenty of life left. Your health can drop anytime and it’s best to be prepared mentally. The ads give you those subliminal messages
    Last edited by Ggcc; 07-11-2022 at 08:23 AM.

A full life - Ryman
    Just watched that ad, thanks. I am not sure how you find that to be condescending and what you want out of life and getting old...I am sure Rymans have plenty of focus groups and the like to assist in effective marketing. Winner would say that they must have over supply issues to be advertising - perhaps someone should tell Coca Cola to not bother with their marketing. Tui.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Just watched that ad, thanks. I am not sure how you find that to be condescending and what you want out of life and getting old...I am sure Rymans have plenty of focus groups and the like to assist in effective marketing. Winner would say that they must have over supply issues to be advertising - perhaps someone should tell Coca Cola to not bother with their marketing. Tui.
    I imagine it is effective….maybe also because of its repetitiveness in the online news slot. I find it disney-esque and somewhat preachy and syrupy.

@Ggcc I agree. By and large, generalising, the silent generation take things on the chin, and get on with things without a fuss unlike the subsequent generations.

A full life - Ryman
    First time I have seen this ad - and this despite being a late boomer. I hardly watch TV ... and if I do, only prerecorded (i.e. I just skip any commercials). Anyway - I find the ad quite respectful and (for the people they want to address) quite touching.

Just imagine you are worried about your aging parents who might find it harder to deal with their daily routines (and lets face it - most of us will reach this phase at some stage). I think the Ryman ad is touching the right buttons.

I used to be in this situation when my father's health started to deteriorate (some years ago) after my mom had left ... and I am glad I found a good place for him, where I knew he was looked after and still could get the little luxuries of life.

Any child wants the best for their parents and wants them to enjoy their life in a safe and enjoyable place? Right?

That's what the ad is conveying (a good, enjoyable and safe place for elderly) ... why do you think it is condescending?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

First time I have seen this ad - and this despite being a late boomer. I hardly watch TV ... and if I do, only prerecorded (i.e. I just skip any commercials). Anyway - I find the ad quite respectful and (for the people they want to address) quite touching.

Just imagine you are worried about your aging parents who might find it harder to deal with their daily routines (and lets face it - most of us will reach this phase at some stage). I think the Ryman ad is touching the right buttons.

I used to be in this situation when my father's health started to deteriorate (some years ago) after my mom had left ... and I am glad I found a good place for him, where I knew he was looked after and still could get the little luxuries of life.

Any child wants the best for their parents and wants them to enjoy their life in a safe and enjoyable place? Right?

That's what the ad is conveying (a good, enjoyable and safe place for elderly) ... why do you think it is condescending?
    It looks like I am outvoted on this ad! I know the benefits of RVs. it can be very difficult time of life. Maybe I expect greater specifics on what Ryman brings to the party and sets them apart.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 07-11-2022 at 10:28 AM.