sharetrader
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    What have you made on OCA?
    I'd have to have a look, I lucked it by buying basically the bottom tick during Covid, 41c from memory and sold that lot near 90c, have had a few dividends and this time think average is 86c from memory. I'd say it would be close to a wash here as I own more shares than when I bought during Covid.

The lower the price goes now and the longer it stays down the more I'll make.

I'n terms of actual cash, it's all relative to the size of investment as well obviously.
    Last edited by SailorRob; 23-04-2023 at 02:30 PM.

Banned

My only income it's worth noting, comes from investing my capital.

As I'm decades away from retirement age I have to be careful.

Subtle flex SailorRob. What did you do prior to retiring? Has your investing style changed at all since then?

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    I'd have to have a look, I lucked it by buying basically the bottom tick during Covid, 41c from memory and sold that lot near 90c, have had a few dividends and this time think average is 86c from memory. I'd say it would be close to a wash here as I own more shares than when I bought during Covid.

The lower the price goes now and the longer it stays down the more I'll make.

I'n terms of actual cash, it's all relative to the size of investment as well obviously.
    Do you make more when its lower?

Yes subtle flex 😀. If its online it must be true

Banned

Do you make more when its lower?

Yes subtle flex . If its online it must be true
    Yes you make more when it's lower. You save more when supermarket prices are lower too. Investing returns are always a factor of price paid.

When I started buying ARLP I was paying $10 a share. It's when it fell to $2.80 that I made my money, reinvested all dividends and now 3 years later my annual dividend is a 100% return on what I bought most of the stock for. Search ARLP on sharetrader and you'll see I was highlighting it to anyone who would listen.

If It had stayed at $2.80 for longer while I bought more with my dividends then I would be making far more money.

Regarding the other question, no subtle flex intended. It's more a function of what's in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYC0EaUMn1U&t=20s

Jokes aside though it's about what your expenses are at least as much as the other end of the equation.

I wouldn't say 'retired' I would say 'fired'. Lost my job when the Refinery shut down. Everything I have is from my wage only, no second income or inheritance just lived way below my means for a long time. Girlfriend hasn't worked a paid job for 5 years, lived on a boat for 13 years, not in a marina either, drove a $1800 caldina which I only just upgraded to a $7k car after stalking one for 3 years. And have been bloody lucky investing, Covid fear was a big opportunity for me. I knew my job was gone well before the fact and knuckled down even more for a few years.

If I was forced to I could live off my ARLP dividend alone and have a better life than most everyone else (sailing round living cheap).

I spend a hell of a lot of time on investing, close to a full time job sometimes more. Having around 20 positions (60% in top 3 before anyone starts), that's 100 reports a year plus 20 call transcripts just to keep up with the very basics let alone investigate anything new. 40 fund letters I read each quarter, I'm currently investigating a potential new 2% position and that will take me 40 hours alone. I'm not one of these guys who can make money off charts so unfortunately have to do it the hard way.

I read 3 to 4 books a Month, learning to fly. Have two yachts, one I'm prepping to sell and the other prepping to sail around NZ this year and a bunch of other stuff, so not retired by any means just don't have time for a paid job. And the other thing worth noting is the tax I would pay from a job is just insane as overseas investments are taxed differently, so my first dollar of wage earnings I'm already paying high rates on.

Investing style hasn't changed at all, one thing that would have me back to work is a real bear market so I could deploy more funds into the abyss.

Most people have all their capital tied up in a house which they think is an investment but is actually a consumption item, then a couple of flash cars, swimming pool, bills and you're Whangarei'd up the Puhoi.

Anyone - particularly a couple, can be financially independent in 15 years without any particular special knowledge. Pretty sure everyone was pretty happy in to 70's and if we live like they did then for a while you don't need to spend much.

Yes you make more when it's lower. You save more when supermarket prices are lower too. Investing returns are always a factor of price paid.

When I started buying ARLP I was paying $10 a share. It's when it fell to $2.80 that I made my money, reinvested all dividends and now 3 years later my annual dividend is a 100% return on what I bought most of the stock for. Search ARLP on sharetrader and you'll see I was highlighting it to anyone who would listen.

If It had stayed at $2.80 for longer while I bought more with my dividends then I would be making far more money.

Regarding the other question, no subtle flex intended. It's more a function of what's in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYC0EaUMn1U&t=20s

Jokes aside though it's about what your expenses are at least as much as the other end of the equation.

I wouldn't say 'retired' I would say 'fired'. Lost my job when the Refinery shut down. Everything I have is from my wage only, no second income or inheritance just lived way below my means for a long time. Girlfriend hasn't worked a paid job for 5 years, lived on a boat for 13 years, not in a marina either, drove a $1800 caldina which I only just upgraded to a $7k car after stalking one for 3 years. And have been bloody lucky investing, Covid fear was a big opportunity for me. I knew my job was gone well before the fact and knuckled down even more for a few years.

If I was forced to I could live off my ARLP dividend alone and have a better life than most everyone else (sailing round living cheap).

I spend a hell of a lot of time on investing, close to a full time job sometimes more. Having around 20 positions (60% in top 3 before anyone starts), that's 100 reports a year plus 20 call transcripts just to keep up with the very basics let alone investigate anything new. 40 fund letters I read each quarter, I'm currently investigating a potential new 2% position and that will take me 40 hours alone. I'm not one of these guys who can make money off charts so unfortunately have to do it the hard way.

I read 3 to 4 books a Month, learning to fly. Have two yachts, one I'm prepping to sell and the other prepping to sail around NZ this year and a bunch of other stuff, so not retired by any means just don't have time for a paid job. And the other thing worth noting is the tax I would pay from a job is just insane as overseas investments are taxed differently, so my first dollar of wage earnings I'm already paying high rates on.

Investing style hasn't changed at all, one thing that would have me back to work is a real bear market so I could deploy more funds into the abyss.

Most people have all their capital tied up in a house which they think is an investment but is actually a consumption item, then a couple of flash cars, swimming pool, bills and you're Whangarei'd up the Puhoi.

Anyone - particularly a couple, can be financially independent in 15 years without any particular special knowledge. Pretty sure everyone was pretty happy in to 70's and if we live like they did then for a while you don't need to spend much.
    You dont invest in the hope it goes lower. You may want it to go lower to buy more but this is a different question.

This is a good explanation of the EMA I use. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGd2FP...dpc2RvbQ%3D%3D

Banned

You dont invest in the hope it goes lower. You may want it to go lower to buy more but this is a different question.

As Warren Buffett does, I always invest in the hope that it goes lower.

Banned

This is a good explanation of the EMA I use. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGd2FP...dpc2RvbQ%3D%3D
    Linked video title;
    Achieve Consistent Profits: Harness the Power of the 10/20 EMA Crossover - Eliminate Drawdown!

Thanks Gunner, this will enable me to massively reduce the workload I've been putting in. I wish I had known this trick earlier and by watching an 11 minute video been able to gain a massive edge over other market participants.

You have changed my life and I thank you for it.

11 minutes vs thousands of hours. A no brainer.

As Warren Buffett does, I always invest in the hope that it goes lower.
    Because you want to buy more. Your capital is not 100% deployed.