sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Don't use ASB securities, PM me if you want more detail.

Tax implications are different for below and above 50k at time of purchase.

If below 50k then it's effectively tax free as no dividend. If above 50k you pay your personal tax rate on 5% of the opening value of your holdings.

So if you own 100k NZD worth of BRK on April 01st, you will pay tax on $5000 of 'earnings'. So at 33% that would be $1650. Or 1.65% of the value of your portfolio.
    FIF method of tax bettter than nz invested tax if you're classed as a trader.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Are there any major tax implications buying BRK.B if you are nz based?

I’ve never actually bought shares on any other stock exchange other than NZX/ASX.

I believe ASB securities can facilitate trades of stocks on other exchanges, but not something I have done yet.
    Hatch is good. Low transaction costs

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Sounds great in theory but it is not realistic. Price always follows fundamentals eventually and if the stock is $2 in 20 years time, you can be sure there is something fundamentally wrong with the company. Name one great company that has a had a stagnated stock price over 20 years. Yeah me neither

Agreed with your thinking, my example is extreme, but any less extreme version of it still works. And this happens all the time.

Also always run calculations before posting. For OCA to reach $2 by 2040 that would be a 6.55% CAGR, PLUS dividends. Say dividends are 3%... This will very likely be a very good return in comparison to the general market.

Instead of naming one great company that has stagnated for 20 years, how about I name entire countries stock markets that have?

New Zealand

United Kingdom

USA

Japan

Every country in Europe

(I can comninue)

Guru

Hatch is good. Low transaction costs
    Hatch is great if you're a teenage Girl.

Hatch is great if you're a teenage Girl.
    Does the job and is low cost.

Guru

Sounds great in theory but it is not realistic. Price always follows fundamentals eventually and if the stock is $2 in 20 years time, you can be sure there is something fundamentally wrong with the company. Name one great company that has a had a stagnated stock price over 20 years. Yeah me neither

Microsoft, and Apple both have had 0% returns for periods over 15 years, many many other great companies have stagnated well over 15 years.

Agreed with your thinking, my example is extreme, but any less extreme version of it still works. And this happens all the time.

Also always run calculations before posting. For OCA to reach $2 by 2040 that would be a 6.55% CAGR, PLUS dividends. Say dividends are 3%... This will very likely be a very good return in comparison to the general market.

Instead of naming one great company that has stagnated for 20 years, how about I name entire countries stock markets that have?

New Zealand

United Kingdom

USA

Japan

Every country in Europe

(I can comninue)
    Perhaps you should recheck what stagnated means. A quick check will show you the S&P has not been stagnant from 20 years to now.

Guru

Does the job and is low cost.

Yep it's ok. Low cost compared to NZ alternatives.

I can change $160,000 NZD to USD for $3.22 at spot. Hatch would be about $480

Guru

Perhaps you should recheck what stagnated means. A quick check will show you the S&P has not been stagnant from 20 years to now.

My dear, you said stagnated over 20 years.

Not the last 20 years.

SP500 has stagnated for up to 60 years before inflation adjusted, maybe 70 actually.

Guru

And the S&P stagnated for 12 years from 00 to 2012...