sharetrader
Page 447 of 2010 FirstFirst ... 3473974374434444454464474484494504514574975479471447 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,470 of 20098
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Watching market depth is bad for your health mate
    No I find the opposite, not watching it produces separation anxiety unless it's a Black swan week.

i wouldnt want to own a retirement stock at the moment , if the virus got into one and infected everyone then no ones going to want to buy one going forward.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    No I find the opposite, not watching it produces separation anxiety unless it's a Black swan week.
    Really meant to say ‘watching depth is bad for your health unless you are a Couta’

I’ve assumed diownz isn’t a trader per se
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Really meant to say ‘watching depth is bad for your health unless you are a Couta’

I’ve assumed diownz isn’t a trader per se
    We all have to start somewhere winner69. I haven't been doing it long so learning alot as I go. 🙂. I appreciate all the help and insight but still try to do as much research as I can. Gutometers still not perfect though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    We all have to start somewhere winner69. I haven't been doing it long so learning alot as I go. 🙂. I appreciate all the help and insight but still try to do as much research as I can. Gutometers still not perfect though lol
    Fair enough diownz

I’m told depth doesn’t tell the full story as somehow bigger orders get traded fast and are often not seen on the depth........was a bit much to take in when explained to me.

So don’t look at depth much these days ...or even prices during the day that often ...that’s my choice anyway
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Fair enough diownz

I’m told depth doesn’t tell the full story as somehow bigger orders get traded fast and are often not seen on the depth........was a bit much to take in when explained to me.

So don’t look at depth much these days ...or even prices during the day that often ...that’s my choice anyway
    The online brokers in the States used to provide something called 2nd level depth where you could see the sizes of the individual orders, much more useful.

Wonder if the brokers here have access to 2nd level depth but the punters don't?

Also large orders sometimes go through without seeming to display first if exactly matching volume.
    Last edited by Davexl; 01-02-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Quote Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
    Depth always goes wonky late in day. I think from around 4:40 pm? Doesn’t mean anything and market is effectively closed until next day.
    Factually incorrect. This is the closing auction where no trades occur until near, at or just after 5pm. Bidders bid, offerers offer, and through this price discovery mechanism, a price is determined, at which all intersecting interests are matched at a single price. Same happens prior to the open every day too.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
    Depth always goes wonky late in day. I think from around 4:40 pm? Doesn’t mean anything and market is effectively closed until next day.
    Ive noticed the same on ASB, but the trades themselves execute correctly, even though the display is scrambled sometimes till closing.
    Last edited by Davexl; 01-02-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

See post #1 here. https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...-Trading-Times
    Same match process thing happens in pre-trade. Any orders placed before market open are matched off based on price and depth to effect an opening volume weighted price at which the market starts trading for the day. All matched offers and bids in that matching process are executed at 10.00 a.m. for opening match and 5.00 p.m. for closing match.
    Closing match is the one to watch and often a fair percentage of the days trade gets done by institutions in that process.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i wouldnt want to own a retirement stock at the moment , if the virus got into one and infected everyone then no ones going to want to buy one going forward.
    Looking at the other side of that, the retirement villages would be able to capitalise on many previously occupied apartments etc. that were bought much more cheaply and can now be sold at a profit. It might also reduce the amount spent on care.
    While we are being cheerful, we might also reflect that the 1918 Flu virus took out the young healthy (shareholders ) not the elderly.