sharetrader
Page 571 of 2025 FirstFirst ... 7147152156156756856957057157257357457558162167110711571 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,710 of 20241

“One of New Zealand’s largest owners and operators of retirement villages has been found in breach of the health code after substandard care in 2017 for a man in his 90s who died of suspected blood poisoning.

Oceania Healthcare, which owned the rest home at the time, was found to have breached the Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights (the Code), Deputy Health and Disability Commissioner Rose Wall said today.

The man had multiple medical conditions including dementia, heart failure, diabetes, and ischaemia, and had undergone an amputation when he was admitted to the rest home.

While a resident there, the man’s condition deteriorated and he began to show signs of pain, infection and delirium.

There was a delay in administering antibiotics, minimal opiate pain relief and a failure to test for a urinary tract infection (UTI).

He was transferred to hospital where he was diagnosed with suspected blood poisoning and died.

Ms Wall said the man was let down by various aspects of the care provided to him by numerous staff at the rest home.

Nurse practitioners who oversaw the rest home and no means for enabling direct, urgent access to a GP while the prescription system did not allow for urgent medications to be fast-tracked.

There was inadequate monitoring and documentation of the man’s condition and the rest home’s poor communication with the man’s family.”

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...fore-his-death

Banned

Here we go..it was on the newbies Facebook...was waiting someone to post it..

that is a horrible sad story , i hope there is a investigation shameful. never invest in a company that does this ... off my investing watchlist for sure
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Sell...sell...sell.....sell all

Related content is here.....https://www.hdc.org.nz/decisions/sea...19/17hdc01304/

Need to see what the management response since 2017 in other homes- in terms of assessment policy changes, additional rigour, training to Registered Nurses etc.

You will be hard pressed to find a retirement/aged care company to invest in, that hasn’t experienced at least one similar incident. The stated inability to obtain urgent prescriptions outside of business hours, is a real problem, and is not the fault of the facility. We can not prescribe medication - we are reliant on GPS and pharmacies as is the general public. If this poor man had been able to get antibiotics sooner, maybe he would have survived, but there are no guarantees. Where I work, if we are concerned, we would do an immediate transfer to hospital, but you would be surprised how many unpleasant calls we get from ED later, questioning why we sent Mr/Mrs X in and telling us they are not bad enough for us to have done that.

There are many people involved in these situations so please be mindful of that. I am not saying they handled this particular case well - I am not an RN so that’s not a call I can make. I’m just giving some perspective as someone who works in a rest home, and is often supervising 32 residents, with one colleague, and no RN on site.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    that is a horrible sad story , i hope there is a investigation shameful. never invest in a company that does this ... off my investing watchlist for sure

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    You will be hard pressed to find a retirement/aged care company to invest in, that hasn’t experienced at least one similar incident. The stated inability to obtain urgent prescriptions outside of business hours, is a real problem, and is not the fault of the facility. We can not prescribe medication - we are reliant on GPS and pharmacies as is the general public. If this poor man had been able to get antibiotics sooner, maybe he would have survived, but there are no guarantees. Where I work, if we are concerned, we would do an immediate transfer to hospital, but you would be surprised how many unpleasant calls we get from ED later, questioning why we sent Mr/Mrs X in and telling us they are not bad enough for us to have done that.

There are many people involved in these situations so please be mindful of that. I am not saying they handled this particular case well - I am not an RN so that’s not a call I can make. I’m just giving some perspective as someone who works in a rest home, and is often supervising 32 residents, with one colleague, and no RN on site.
    should be manatory a RN is always on site , thats what these outfits do to cut costs
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

eih braw bull....that was 2017...

but keep shaking though...maybe we see 50c soon....keep it up braw

The requirement for an RN to be onsite 24/7 is based on the level of care. We do not have a hospital level wing - we are standard rest home level with up to 32 residents. A rest home that has a hospital level wing, must have an RN on 24/7. Those are legal requirements set by government legislation. So we are not required to have an RN on all the time. Ours finish around 3.30-4pm. From that point on I (as the supervisor) am the one responsible for everything, including administration of medications. I have one caregiver working with me from 3.30-11pm, with an extra on for 3 hours over tea time. I have no idea how other facilities operate, but they all need to meet the same requirements in terms of staffing levels and RN cover.

As many have been saying here lately, the costs of care are high. I honestly don’t know what the answers are, but we do our very best with what we’ve got. This incident occurred in 2017. I feel confident that Oceania has learned from that experience and has put processes in place to reduce the chance of it happening again. They now put care at the forefront of their operations, which is why I hold. They seem to have a genuine understanding of the importance of care and a realisation that the care side of things will be in huge demand in the future. In my humble opinion, they will be proven to be right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    should be manatory a RN is always on site , thats what these outfits do to cut costs

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Related content is here.....https://www.hdc.org.nz/decisions/sea...19/17hdc01304/

Need to see what the management response since 2017 in other homes- in terms of assessment policy changes, additional rigour, training to Registered Nurses etc.
    Agree. A pattern of neglect is different to an isolated incident and it depends what systems and check have been put in place since 2017.

More than one incident is concerning!

I’m in for the long haul if the management are on top of this now. If not...
    Last edited by tango; 23-06-2020 at 09:37 AM.