sharetrader
Page 627 of 1979 FirstFirst ... 12752757761762362462562662762862963063163767772711271627 ... LastLast
Results 6,261 to 6,270 of 19788

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Average - per definition - means 50% of any group are above and 50% are below.
    No. That's the definition of the median.
    Only if the distribution is symmetric is the average the same as the median.
    Why have you assumed the distribution is Gaussian?
    If the distribution for age care workers is non-Gaussian, justakiwi could be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Flame time.

THAT IS NOT THE AVERAGE THAT IS THE MEDIAN

And your second statement is not correct either.
    Quite average statement if I may say so ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Quite average statement if I may say so ;
    ALL Snow Leopards are well above average in anything and everything.

That is a well know fact.

Just quit while you are not too far behind.
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 11-08-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    om mani peme hum

Advanced Member

Ladies and Gentlemen could I respectively ask before this turns into another xxxxstorm. Sit back have a cuppa.
    Think about this being a retirement sector stock and the difficulties some members have and are currently facing .
    This is something that we all face going through life .
    If you want a slanging match please take it into the political forum or off line .
    Lets keep this on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan View Post
    No. That's the definition of the median.
    Only if the distribution is symmetric is the average the same as the median.
    Why have you assumed the distribution is Gaussian?
    If the distribution for age care workers is non-Gaussian, justakiwi could be correct.
    OK - I guess without defining the "outstandingness" or "terribleness" of age care workers are we obviously talking about a subjective assessment. Their are no statistical rules for subjective assessments (other that there is always a huge bias towards the positive).

Just remembering the time when in NZ Primary schools every child got at year end a certificate for outstanding achievement (not sure - maybe they still do that)? This obviously just redefines outstanding to the new average (or for the resident feline - median) ... but sure - it makes everybody "outstanding". If I use this definition, than I have to admit - all age care workers as well as everybody else is outstanding ... and average and median.

If we use however any objective measurement to measure human performance, than it will follow a normal distribution, as does intelligence, attitude, creativity and various human moods) - i.e. Gauss curve does apply. I can't see why age care workers would be exempt from the rules of maths. Can you?
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    ALL Snow Leopards are well above average in anything and everything.

That is a well know fact.

Just quit while you are not too far behind.
    You don't seem to realise that the median and the average would be the same if we assume normal distribution (as I did), which unfortunately is quite average ...

BTW - just wondering ... given that it is clearly not maths ... would the ability to survive as species be included in "anything and everything"? I heard Snow Leopards are nearly extinct ... , which obviously is a very sad story ...
    ----

wow talk about this thread going from the sublime to the ridiculous.
    I really dont think this is a profitable line of discussion folks. Move along.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    True, but it is the residents I care for who provide me with my job satisfaction. They are the ones who make me feel valued and appreciated - every day. That feedback is the stuff I take home with me at the end of every shift, that makes me feel good about myself and the job I am doing.

Employer/management support and or appreciation, on the other hand, can be seriously lacking sometimes.
    I met people as you describe, when My family member was in care. A personal touch and connection existed with the residents often despite the stretched resources, management demands, and no doubt their own Financial exigencies. A good manager with rapport with personnel did seem to bring about a more satisfied atmosphere, with patients, nurses and carers.

All the best to Beagle too. At the end of the day, you remember the great carers who had an especial connection with your family member. It makes such a difference to everyone.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 11-08-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Veteran novice

Now, how about some discussion on the investment merits of OCA? I hold and reckon prospects are good.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Now, how about some discussion on the investment merits of OCA? I hold and reckon prospects are good.

Suppose it’s an average sort of hold .....not good and not bad ...just average
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”