sharetrader
Page 628 of 1979 FirstFirst ... 12852857861862462562662762862963063163263867872811281628 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,280 of 19788
    Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Suppose it’s an average sort of hold .....not good and not bad ...just average
    Should have seen that coming!

Attachment 11846

To deal with staff/resident ratio issue, if there is a something like occupants satisfaction survey from industry association would be good.

OCA only has 2 reserved land for future development, its debt ratio is 61.57%, so it needs to purchase more sections to match its ambitious plan.

The current SP is ok for long term, but I would not put all eggs into this one.

On the doghouse

Default A common misunderstanding about 'normal distributions'

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan View Post
    Why have you assumed the distribution is Gaussian?
    If the distribution for age care workers is non-Gaussian, justakiwi could be correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    If we use however any objective measurement to measure human performance, than it will follow a normal distribution, as does intelligence, attitude, creativity and various human moods) - i.e. Gauss curve does apply. I can't see why age care workers would be exempt from the rules of maths. Can you?
    BlackPeter, I think you have fallen into a 'rules of maths' trap into which I have seen many highly competent and well educated people fall. I will use the intelligence test as an example as you can set an IQ test for people and derive numerical results. To do the same for 'attitude' and 'creativity' introduces a whole other level of debate into this argument, where I don't want to go!

Let's say you set out to measure the IQ of all of the care workers in NZ rest homes. Now before I go any further I am not suggesting that the competence or not of rest home workers should be judged on IQ. I am just using IQ as one human variable which has a track record of being possible to measure to illustrate my point.

The result of such an exercise will produce an average IQ for each rest home. If you then plot these individual averages on a linear scale you will get something that starts to look like a gaussian or as it is more commonly referred to 'normal distribution'. (actually I like the term 'gaussian distribution' better because normal has other meanings outside of statistics).

We expect this because of something called the 'central limit theorem':

"the average of many samples (observations) of a random variable with finite mean and variance is itself a random variable whose distribution converges to a normal distribution as the number of samples increases."

However, and here is the really important bit, this does not mean that the individual pieces of primary data (in this case the individual IQ score of each care worker in a particular rest home) form a gaussian distribution. It could be rectangular , triangular some other pattern or random. The 'central limit theorem' will follow even if the IQs of careworkers follow a rectangular distribution in one rest home, a triangular distribution in another and form a random distribution in another. The central limit theorem will see that a linear graph of averages converges to a gaussian distribution. But it says nothing at all about the distribution of IQ at any individual rest home.

So Tideman is right. You should not have assumed that the distribution of any particular human characteristic at any particular rest home is 'normal'.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 11-08-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    So Tideman is right. You should not have assumed that the distribution of any particular human characteristic at any particular rest home is 'normal'.
    SNOOPY
    Nor should you assume any posters on this thread are 'normal'!! lol.

A care unit in a Christchurch retirement village has gone into lockdown after "several residents" began displaying symptoms of a respiratory illness.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...-symptoms.html

Quote Originally Posted by flyinglizard View Post
    A care unit in a Christchurch retirement village has gone into lockdown after "several residents" began displaying symptoms of a respiratory illness.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...-symptoms.html
    Village Palms

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Village Palms
    Not an Oceania one is it?

Hope it's only the flu or something

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Not an Oceania one is it?

Hope it's only the flu or something
    Privately owned. Scroll down for owners. https://thevillagepalms.co.nz/
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Privately owned. Scroll down for owners. https://thevillagepalms.co.nz/
    Not too far from Rosewood (just a seven minute drive). Lets hope it is just the flu.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Chances are it’s your usual winter coughs and colds or the flu. We usually have at least one resident with a cold at any given time. Unless someone has been into the home who has been overseas, or near someone who has, there is probably no need to panic. My GP was telling me just the other day, there are a lot of “bugs” around right now - par for the course for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Not too far from Rosewood (just a seven minute drive). Lets hope it is just the flu.