sharetrader
Page 687 of 1978 FirstFirst ... 18758763767768368468568668768868969069169773778711871687 ... LastLast
Results 6,861 to 6,870 of 19773

Really buoyant so far but I'd like to see some results on the back on this before we all get carried away and taken back to Earth on it. Positive signs in the market generally but correlation is not equal to causation and I'm still worried on the care side of things.

Guru

"Eye watering" ... we better buy more...

housing development round here went ballistic last 3 years, including 3 new rest homes.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 15-10-2020 at 10:13 PM.

The chart of this stock is looking fantastic, the market is finally believing the story? If the story starts becoming true we're off into the blue sky.

Feeling euphoric yet guys? Lol

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by allfromacell View Post
    The chart of this stock is looking fantastic, the market is finally believing the story? If the story starts becoming true we're off into the blue sky.

Feeling euphoric yet guys? Lol

Went heavily into OCA in 2018, remember when apparently you just 'couldn't have enough of them'!
    Well that didn't work out so well, and for a very long time OCA were the single unloved dark spot in my portfolio.
    Resigned myself at one stage to accepting might have to go deep in the bottom drawer, & be a very long term investment despite watching the Directors buying large parcels at various stages (seemingly contrary to the questions being raised by the difficulty many posters were having interpreting the companies updates) & a few like Mav never losing faith.
    So now OCA finally feeling the love, yes darn right, feeling the euphoria.

IMO

This observation was not at any Oceania places. Appreciate any other experiences shared and what a solution can be.

What im noticing in High needs care facilities.

Covid has stressed out the system especially the carers.

There is now a high turnover of staff happening, not good.some great long term staff have gone.
    Some of the staff are burnt out and have lost the empathy for residents
    Some new staff dont have empathy ,its certainly not their calling

Have some staff gone back to their country or not had work visas extended?
    Despite access now being available to family members etc to come and help(eg feeding at meal times) clients are being neglected (due to overwork)

Regulations like having to use a hoist for most clients means 2 staff are tied up for a while hence not getting to others in a timely way or at all.
    This means for ex toileting doesnt happen at times leaving people sitting in their you know what for hours or longer.

A solution , one more staff member to take the ratio incrementally higher then current ratio (one staff to six clients i believe).
    I understand they move staff around the places to help in busy times but this is not happening/helping where i visit .

Guru

no SP sell off 300 at the low... the markets look bullet proof... no stimulus ... no economy... lots of virus.... market not selling off... blue skys ahead... its la la land..as Richard Quest would say " a V e e r y P r o f i t a b le Y e a r !"

and to think that this time last year we were sunning it on the baltic and whatching OCA .... what a change a year makes. I think we were about to join the others on the flights back to NZ what a good move that was!!

Never seen a northern winter.

Oh dear we have a "get back to earth poster" what are they thinking....

2 new rests home here and a 3rd on the way... they all look happy happy happy to me as we wheez past everyday....

10 of millions of new housing popping up around them...

Houses prices around here on fire again.

pop the bubbles people pop the bubbles!!
    Last edited by Waltzing; 16-10-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    This observation was not at any Oceania places. Appreciate any other experiences shared and what a solution can be.

Covid has stressed out the system especially the carers....
    Interesting and sad observations. I have no experience of the covid situation in either rest home or hospital level care. However my observation prior to covid was that the system did not have much lee-way. Staffing was stretched and worked hard. Funding was spread thinly. So I can only imagine that the extra Covid demands have pushed that to stress levels.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 16-10-2020 at 08:58 AM.

If your comments are correct and your observations were not a one-off isolated case, it is your responsibility to lay a complaint with the manager in the first instance, then escalate further up if the issues are not addressed.

But make sure you have your facts correct, particularly about people not being toileted for hours. Because it is very easy to make assumptions on face value, without being fully aware of the facts. You may walk past a room and smell what you think is a soiled or wet product - it may be, or it may be a “leftover” smell from a product change or toileting accident that has just been dealt with. Sometimes even air fresheners don’t get rid of that smell. What I’m trying to diplomatically say is ... unless you have actually witnessed it with your own eyes ... things may not be what you assume them to be.

Having said that, if you do have evidence - do something about it! Protecting our elderly is not just the responsibility of caregivers. It is a community responsibility and we all need to step up and act if and when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post

Covid has stressed out the system especially the carers.

There is now a high turnover of staff happening, not good.some great long term staff have gone.
    Some of the staff are burnt out and have lost the empathy for residents
    Some new staff dont have empathy ,its certainly not their calling

Have some staff gone back to their country or not had work visas extended?
    Despite access now being available to family members etc to come and help(eg feeding at meal times) clients are being neglected (due to overwork)

Regulations like having to use a hoist for most clients means 2 staff are tied up for a while hence not getting to others in a timely way or at all.
    This means for ex toileting doesnt happen at times leaving people sitting in their you know what for hours or longer.

A solution , one more staff member to take the ratio incrementally higher then current ratio (one staff to six clients i believe).
    I understand they move staff around the places to help in busy times but this is not happening/helping where i visit .

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    If one projects out the capital development for just the currently owned land, and make a guess at how many incremental ‘properties’ That adds up to, the balance sheet growth, FCF and under lying profits are eye watering over the next decade. That assumes no more land acquisitions! At just over a buck, it seems almost criminal to be able to buy an income stream and huge capital gains to come, but that’s the longer term thing about early investing in successful companies. One day when we check into our OCA villa, it will be satisfying that the company paid us for it.

😀
    You're on to it mate, just as cunning as a hungry Beagle I want one of the stunning new north facing St Heliers apartments with commanding sea views for free.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Waiting, waiting, its about to lift past 1.40.

Im not swapping golden triangle for auckland apartments. Your joking. View or no view that sea way is polluted.

45 minutes to beach here, or 1 hour the east cost.

yellow 9 foot is ready for summer surf.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 16-10-2020 at 09:42 AM.