sharetrader
Page 727 of 1978 FirstFirst ... 22762767771772372472572672772872973073173777782712271727 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,270 of 19771
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    you cant swap and choose as you like lol
    Its simple bull, if its an identified individual parcel, then you can use LIFO otherwise if your buying and selling continuously the same stock you have to use the avg cost price.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Its simple bull, if its an identified individual parcel, then you can use LIFO otherwise if your buying and selling continuously the same stock you have to use the avg cost price.
    at the end of the day if your a trader your doing it to make money nothing else so when you wash things up your still paying the same tax either way
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    at the end of the day if your a trader your doing it to make money nothing else so when you wash things up your still paying the same tax either way
    Yes that's true but in relation to the question Cylical asked about whether his sale would be taxed according to the avg buy cost of his whole holding if he bought a specified trading parcel now, the answer is no it wouldn't, I'm taking it that the rest of his holding is a long term hold.

There's a separate thread about tax here https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...&highlight=tax

Can we please get back to OCA ?
    I would imagine there's huge relief amongst vulnerable elderly folks regarding the vaccine news today. What a great day for humanity. Thank God for our wonderful hard working scientists who have worked so hard on this breakthrough ! More than 90% effective !! https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covi...infection.html
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-11-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Yes that's true but in relation to the question Cylical asked about whether his sale would be taxed according to the avg buy cost of his whole holding if he bought a specified trading parcel now, the answer is no it wouldn't, I'm taking it that the rest of his holding is a long term hold.
    NZ’s IRD may require you to use a specific sale allocation method in your situation (often FIFO), consult your accountant for information specific to your situation

https://www.sharesight.com/blog/calc...0from%20shares
    one step ahead of the herd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    There's a separate thread about tax here https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...&highlight=tax

Can we please get back to OCA ?
    I would imagine there's huge relief amongst vulnerable elderly folks regarding the vaccine news today. What a great day for humanity. Thank God for our wonderful hard working scientists who have worked so hard on this breakthrough ! More than 90% effective !! https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covi...infection.html
    Yes of course your right Beagle, Cyclical pm me and provide a landline # if you want to discuss in depth.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    ...Can we please get back to OCA ?...
    Annoying when a thread gets hijacked isn't it.

What I suggest is that if Cyclical must play russian roulette that he does so with a stock that:
    A/ has a better short-term upside that OCA;
    B/ he does not currently own any of, giving tax certainity.
    om mani peme hum

Yes of course your right Beagle, Cyclical pm me and provide a landline # if you want to discuss in depth.
    Thanks Couta, much appreciated, yours are exactly the type of useful responses I was looking for. I'll be in touch and refrain from further off topic comment in this thread...wouldn't want to upset the resident "accountant" any further for polluting his beloved thread

I use LIFO to value my closing stock. Although I haven't done it yet, I would also use lower of LIFO cost and market value. In a rising market it would be preferable to use FIFO, but as I don't like to chase a stock when the price is rising, FIFO is not as lucrative. But I am not so sure about changing between the various methods, you could become unstuck. But have to get caught. Like it was said in the end it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by bottomfeeder; 10-11-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    What I suggest is that if Cyclical must play russian roulette...
    I just had to check for a sec there that I was on the sharetrader forum and not pussiesrus.something.

Guys, I'm off to Hamilton this week...worth doing a walk by of the village that's getting a makeover?