sharetrader
Page 808 of 2032 FirstFirst ... 30870875879880480580680780880981081181281885890813081808 ... LastLast
Results 8,071 to 8,080 of 20316

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Market does not seem to be concerned with Earl leaving and I'm not worried either. Need a numbers man in there like Julian Cook.
    So Earl, being an accountant by profession, was lacking something and OCA has not done as well as it could have.

....they say accountants shouldn’t run big businesses

earl also a lawyer butvaccoubtancy seemed to be his forte
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Just had a look at the wording of the announcement re Earl leaving.

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/368720

I guess nothing too unusual with a CEO leaving after more than six years, however the timing of the handover feels a bit funny.

Earl informed the board about his resignation on the 6th of March (btw - a Saturday).

The board appointed immediately an acting CEO.

This means Earl is did not even had to wait over the weekend to go. No notice period? Wouldn't a CEO have at least something like 3 or 6 months notice? No transition required? Wouldn't he help in finding a replacement? Did Early already empty his office?

Somehow I wonder whether there might be more than they are telling us ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

I guess nothing too unusual with a CEO leaving after more than six years, however the timing of the handover feels a bit funny.

Earl informed the board about his resignation on the 6th of March (btw - a Saturday).

This means Earl is did not even had to wait over the weekend to go. No notice period? Wouldn't a CEO have at least something like 3 or 6 months notice? No transition required? Wouldn't he help in finding a replacement? Did Early already empty his office?

If you are going to a competitor, not unusual to be walked out the door and not work any notice period etc.

Might be more to it - but don't know. I thought it was a pretty cursory announcement - maybe the PR dept don't work over the weekend??

I would have thought that Earl going to competition would force them to ask him to go immediately. It is what it is. I am sure the CFO has a good grip on things.

I would have hoped firstly, that he had a non-compete or stand down agreement in his contract. It seems there wasn't, so it's understandable OCA didn't want him to spend another minute as CEO while waiting to start at a major competitor.

Membaa

I don't think it's all that surprising at an executive level, Earl would have said something like "I am resigning with immediate effect and have accepted a CEO position at Metlife". The Chair would then have said something like "ok if there's nothing we can do to change your mind, and you are moving to a competitor, then you can also leave immediately and your notice period will be paid out". Pop into the office tomorrow and remove your personal belongings.

Probably time for some fresh vision and more determination to run a tighter ship in terms of costs and being much more assertive with unit pricing.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    If you are going to a competitor, not unusual to be walked out the door and not work any notice period etc.

Might be more to it - but don't know. I thought it was a pretty cursory announcement - maybe the PR dept don't work over the weekend??
    Good point. Still - appears all a bit haphazard and unprofessional. Anyway, maybe in due time we will learn :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

It must have nice for him to quietly remove his belongings during the weekend with no one around to bother him.

Legend

Duplication........
    Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 08-03-2021 at 04:24 PM.