sharetrader
Page 902 of 1976 FirstFirst ... 402802852892898899900901902903904905906912952100214021902 ... LastLast
Results 9,011 to 9,020 of 19755

I'm happy with the property data released today but that's because I've always thrown way more weight behind the HPI than the median. The HPI was very strong and showed further growth around most of the country except for a small drop in Auckland compared to last month. A pretty resilient result considering the tax announcement and just how strongly the market has run in recent months.

Looking forward to the results, I expected if the wider markets bounce back next week we'll see a strong run in the SP in the days leading up to the announcement.

Market going okay-ish today yet OCA who are about to report are down sharply. Leaky ship, ominous sign of a below market result or market disappointment that 30,000 nurses are striking next month indicating no end to the ever escalating cost of providing late stage care ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-05-2021 at 04:56 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

The strike involves DHB hospital based nurses who are concerned about “horrific and unsafe staffing conditions” and the recently announced, no pay rises for three years. I suspect providers such as OCA are paying their nurses pretty well, compared to what DHBs are paying. I don’t see the strike having any real impact on the market but if it is, it is probably unwarranted. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Market going okay-ish today yet OCA who are about to report are down sharply. Leaky ship, ominous sign of a below market result or market disappointment that 30,000 nurses are striking next month indicating no end to the ever escalating cost of providing late stage care ?

Here's how its been reported in the media https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/nurses...C5CZWPEDVB6YU/
    Possibly worth noting that the "initial pay offer" was 1.38% for most nurses and this was "slightly below" the rate of inflation....but not noted in the article (but as we have previously discussed at length Nurses have received a large multi year pay adjustment over the last few years). I get it that they are frustrated with the Govt's attempted wage freeze though...that is ridiculous and hard working nurses and caregivers are absolutely entitled to cost of living increases, no question about that. The problem I see for OCA is that care costs will continue to outstrip ministry of health funding increases.

From a shareholders perspective the returns between the listed operator with the highest level of care, OCA, and the lowest SUM, could not be more stark since OCA listed. SUM up more than 170% since OCA listed which are up a far more modest 70%. OCA has more or less just matched the NZX50 index though and I am sure MAV will comofrt us that better times are ahead so if we hang in there maybe its all comes good in the due course of time ?
    SUMvOCA.jpg
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-05-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Hmm - 99 shares went up today and 95 down. Yep, pretty balanced market day. Top winner today was VGL with +5.7% up and top loser was TWR which lost 5.8%.

OCA went down by 4 cents (or 2.9%) - is this really "sharply down" or maybe just part of the normal jitter?

How do you call TWR's drop in comparison?

Just wondering whether confirmation bias might be part of it?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Here's how its been reported in the media https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/nurses...C5CZWPEDVB6YU/
    Possibly worth noting that the "initial pay offer" was 1.38% for most nurses and this was "slightly below" the rate of inflation....but not noted in the article (but as we have previously discussed at length Nurses have received a large multi year pay adjustment over the last few years). I get it that they are frustrated with the Govt's attempted wage freeze though...that is ridiculous and hard working nurses and caregivers are absolutely entitled to cost of living increases, no question about that. The problem I see for OCA is that care costs will continue to outstrip ministry of health funding increases.

From a shareholders perspective the returns between the listed operator with the highest level of care, OCA, and the lowest SUM, could not be more stark since OCA listed. SUM up more than 170% since OCA listed which are up a far more modest 70%. OCA has more or less just matched the NZX50 index though and I am sure MAV will comofrt us that better times are ahead so if we hang in there maybe its all comes good in the due course of time ?
    SUMvOCA.jpg
    Crazy. Give the minimum wage a 5.8% wage increase, but nurses get 1.38………… Something wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

My thoughts too.

Hmm - 99 shares went up today and 95 down. Yep, pretty balanced market day. Top winner today was VGL with +5.7% up and top loser was TWR which lost 5.8%.

OCA went down by 4 cents (or 2.9%) - is this really "sharply down" or maybe just part of the normal jitter?

I don't own or follow TWR. Don't like insurance companies, never have,...almost always some 1 in 100 year event happening a least once a year, often twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    Crazy. Give the minimum wage a 5.8% wage increase, but nurses get 1.38………… Something wrong with that.
    Great, lets not worry about huge wage relativity claims in the past and give everyone a 5.8% pay increase. What could possibly go wrong...
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-05-2021 at 06:28 PM.

TWR dreadful downgrade .....maybe a sign of things to come for OCA

One thing in common that’s a problem ..outrageous building / construction costs
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

... The problem I see for OCA is that care costs will continue to outstrip ministry of health funding increases.
    If that is the case, won't operators stop providing care beds for the DHBs leaving the government to handle a crisis? Is there an obligation on these companies, of which I am an unaware?