sharetrader
Page 929 of 2010 FirstFirst ... 429829879919925926927928929930931932933939979102914291929 ... LastLast
Results 9,281 to 9,290 of 20091
    Guru

Wouldn't you want to be around some young people too?

Being exclusively around people of my age would be rather daunting. Feed off the youthful energy and it will help to provide a healthier life

Guru

Plus having friends pass away every month / year. It's a bleakway of living unless you need the medical support.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Plus having friends pass away every month / year. It's a bleakway of living unless you need the medical support.
    Probably more a reflection on one's own age, rather than where one lives, isn't it?

Agree however, that it would be nice to have (as well) younger people around. That's what it used to be when generations still lived together - there was no need and no market for retirement villages.

Maybe an idea for the providers of this service? Can't be that hard to e.g. combine retirement villages with student accommodation and possibly some child care - the retirees could even help with the child care ... rent a grandma :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

It’s actually not - well at least not from my small rest home perspective. Most of our residents are not with us because they need medical support. Most are here because they could no longer manage the tasks that go with owning a house. Gardening, lawn mowing, maintenance, housework etc. Some have had falls at home so for them, living in rest home gives them added security and peace of mind. They no longer need to worry about cooking, doing laundry, paying the bills or rates.

The other thing to remember is, what we call “old” is actually a wide range of ages. Our oldest resident is coming up 105 at Christmas. Our youngest is 71. We have many in their 90s and the rest are mid 80s. The youngest residents are young enough to be the son/daughter of the oldest residents!

Yes, people die (I hate the term “pass away”) but guess what? It is part of life, and our elderly know that. When a resident dies, we offer their family a Guard of Honour farewell. Most take this offer up. We set up seats just outside the front doors (or inside if raining) where residents who want to be part of it sit on either side. One of our 90+ year old residents plays his keyboard. We have flowers or sprigs of herbs etc for residents/family/staff to place on the coffin as the funeral directors bring it out. Sometimes we sing a song (sometimes in Maori). Sometimes a staff member will say a few words about the person who has died. Often, their family members will take the time to express their gratitude and appreciation for the care we gave their loved one. There are tears and hugs, and sometimes laughs. They provide us all with a way to say goodbye to the person and express our grief. They are very special moments and something our residents really value.

I know many of you will have visited a relative or friend in some form of aged care facility. It probably didn’t feel like somewhere you would ever want to be. I used to feel the same until I worked in one. It feels like home and it feels like family.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    It’s actually not - well at least not from my small rest home perspective. Most of our residents are not with us because they need medical support. Most are here because they could no longer manage the tasks that go with owning a house. Gardening, lawn mowing, maintenance, housework etc. Some have had falls at home so for them, living in rest home gives them added security and peace of mind. They no longer need to worry about cooking, doing laundry, paying the bills or rates.

I'd consider those health issues too. There's something wrong when they can't do those tasks.

My own elderly relative is not interested in nursing homes and has been to them when her friend had dementia. I would think it's a relatively common attitude so it's good there's people who are changing that perception in nz.

Farmers are said to live longer on average so maybe retiring to a small farm or something would be the retirement choice for me.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-06-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Falls related - fair enough. But if you seriously expect all 80 or 90 year olds to be able to or want to, still mow lawns, do gardens, maintain a household, you are a tad delusional. Some will be physically able to but many will not. That is simply a fact of growing older. It doesn’t automatically imply the person has “something wrong with them.”

I am not saying everyone should move into a rest home or other aged care facility. I’m saying we need options for them to do this should they need or wish to. One size doesn’t fit all, anymore than it does in other areas or stages of life.

I don’t think it helps that members of the general public often express negative views about aged care, without having all the facts, open minds, and preferably personal experiences that consist of more than just “visiting” a facility.

I'd consider those health issues too. There's something wrong when they can't do those tasks.

My own elderly relative is not interested in nursing homes and has been to them when her friend had dementia. I would think it's a relatively common attitude so it's good there's people who are changing that perception.

Farmers can live without health issues according to medical studies on average so maybe retiring to a small hobby farm or something would be the retirement choice for me :P
    Last edited by justakiwi; 04-06-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Guru

I didn't say that anywhere. I said it's a health issue which is the opposite of what you said even if there is no treatment currently.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-06-2021 at 05:14 PM.

The other thing to remember is, what we call “old” is actually a wide range of ages. Our oldest resident is coming up 105 at Christmas. Our youngest is 71. We have many in their 90s and the rest are mid 80s. The youngest residents are young enough to be the son/daughter of the oldest residents!

Yes, people die (I hate the term “pass away”) but guess what? It is part of life, and our elderly know that. When a resident dies, we offer their family a Guard of Honour farewell. Most take this offer up. We set up seats just outside the front doors (or inside if raining) where residents who want to be part of it sit on either side. One of our 90+ year old residents plays his keyboard. We have flowers or sprigs of herbs etc for residents/family/staff to place on the coffin as the funeral directors bring it out. Sometimes we sing a song (sometimes in Maori). Sometimes a staff member will say a few words about the person who has died. Often, their family members will take the time to express their gratitude and appreciation for the care we gave their loved one. There are tears and hugs, and sometimes laughs. They provide us all with a way to say goodbye to the person and express our grief. They are very special moments and something our residents really value.

I know many of you will have visited a relative or friend in some form of aged care facility. It probably didn’t feel like somewhere you would ever want to be. I used to feel the same until I worked in one. It feels like home and it feels like family.
    Nice post Justakiwi

Rubbish. You said “if they can’t do these things, there’s something wrong” (or words to that affect). Ageing itself is a natural profession of life. It is not a “health condition.” We have residents who take no medication for anything - who do not have a specific health condition. They are simply growing older/approaching end of life, with bodies that are wearing out. Simple, straightforward reality.

I didn't say that anywhere. I said it's a health issue which is the opposite of what you said and I don't expect them to do those things. No one does.

It's still a health issue even if there isn't a treatment.

Guru

It is simply a fact of growing older. It doesn’t automatically imply the person has “something wrong with them.”

IF you ask people they would want these functions back probably.