sharetrader
Page 360 of 1976 FirstFirst ... 2603103503563573583593603613623633643704104608601360 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 19751
    Banned

For those that don't have money will live like what snoopy described. For those that have money..will go to OCA ..paying extra to be look after

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Dont forget there is essentially two (or more tiers) of residential care. You can go for your basic bed, ancient furnishings, minimal diversions, basic food etc which will be covered by the DHB payments. Or you can go a bit more "up market" by paying a sum over the rate set by the DHB.

The likes of OCA will do very well as the Boomers exit their paid up properties for that extra level of care in their later years.

OCA (and other similar villages) are not marketed for those coming from minimum wage and renting a council flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    For those that don't have money will live like what snoopy described. For those that have money..will go to OCA ..paying extra to be look after.
    I am not sure you guys get it. Once you get into residential care, the care required is determined by your overall health: Not your bank balance! The nurses and carers, who the likes of the Parkwood Retirement Lodge are saying are not fully funded provide such 'luxuries' as administering the medication you require, getting you washed and dressed, toileted and feeding you.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 25-04-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Dont forget there is essentially two (or more tiers) of residential care. You can go for your basic bed, ancient furnishings, minimal diversions, basic food etc which will be covered by the DHB payments. Or you can go a bit more "up market" by paying a sum over the rate set by the DHB.

The likes of OCA will do very well as the Boomers exit their paid up properties for that extra level of care in their later years.

OCA (and other similar villages) are not marketed for those coming from minimum wage and renting a council flat.

They may not be marketing to them Mini, but this is the influx of clientele that has begun to fill capacity in one Oceania facility in Christchurch. Long service staff are reducing hours or moving on because of it. Source family member (staff) and personal friends (two) who work in facility.

Banned

U don't get it snippy. My wife used to be RN at Bupa. U can choose a good provider like OCA, ARV....their care quality is much better than private one which depend on government funding. Or if the oldies have money ..they could go with OCA or ARV...pay more buy got better service

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    They may not be marketing to them Mini, but this is the influx of clientele that has begun to fill capacity in one Oceania facility in Christchurch. Long service staff are reducing hours or moving on because of it. Source family member (staff) and personal friends (two) who work in facility.
    Excellent news. Oca won't have any difficulty selling Windemere when it is finished (block work currently going up)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I am not sure you guys get it. Once you get into residential care, the care required is determined by your overall health: Not your bank balance! The nurses and carers, who the likes of the Parkwood Retirement Lodge are saying are not fully funded provide such 'luxuries' as administering the medication you require, getting you washed and dressed, toileted and feeding you.

SNOOPY
    I also am confused about this issue.
    I get the fact that DHB placements will be underfunded.
    I dont know to what extent Oceania is exposed to this.
    The like of small operators such as Parkwood clearly are underfunded and may have no choice but to sell to big corporates who will find ways around funding.
    The article states that privately funded placements are also price controlled-I suspect this means that DHBs that place clients in rest homes do so at a fee determined by them.The DHB sets the price and the client is means tested and pays all or part of the care fee until they run out of money
    It surely cannot mean that people have no choice if they can afford it to pay for more luxurious care

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    U don't get it snoopy. My wife used to be RN at Bupa. U can choose a good provider like OCA, ARV....their care quality is much better than private one which depend on government funding. Or if the oldies have money ..they could go with OCA or ARV...pay more buy got better service.
    You need to expand more on what you are trying to say King1212. OCA, ARV and Bupa are private operators, just as Parkwood is. What do you mean when you say the care at ARV and OCA is 'better'? What is 'better service'?

Yes there are some rich who can afford to pay for their own care. But if you want to pay for your care without eating into your capital you need to be very rich. How rich is that? From the fees I have seen charged and the investment returns on capital managed on a conservative basis you need about $4m in capital for one adult. Anything less and you start eroding your capital so that you end up as a state dependent anyway. There aren't enough people in NZ to fund their own care to this 'rich' level once a facility gets to scale. So if you are running a care facility you have to base the fees you charge on the subsidy the government is prepared to pay for such care. Otherwise when your 'rich' resident finally passes away -unless you can replace them with someone equally rich - , as an operator you go bankrupt.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 25-04-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Banned

In a nutshell....oldies that rely on government funding..they don't have a choice....Bupa...privately owned aged care to be in....but...if oldies have money...they still can get the funding but can pay more with their own money to go to better aged care provider such as oca..arv...where the quality care it is better because the fee is higher....The oldies top up the fee with their money..For extra...hope it makes sense

Banned

Better service...staff ratio per resident...quality food..activity ...etc..bupa is using one RN for 25 to 30 highly dependency residents....privately owned operators around 30 to 40 residents.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    The article states that privately funded placements are also price controlled-I suspect this means that DHBs that place clients in rest homes do so at a fee determined by them.The DHB sets the price and the client is means tested and pays all or part of the care fee until they run out of money
    It surely cannot mean that people have no choice if they can afford it to pay for more luxurious care
    Not price controlled.

I had to put me dad into a level 4 pscyco geriatric care. Mentally he was kind of ok but there were other issues.

I could have put him into cheap as chips dog house. The maximum he could have been charged was $1059 (maximum contribution paid by dhb) a week for basic health care services. (Bed, food, GPS visits, prescribed medicine, laundry which was guaranteed to loose stuff, some diversional theraphy)

But since extras were wanted (sunny room, tv, phone, ensuite) there were added expenses so his bill came to more than $1059.

If he met the means test threshold the dhb would have paid the maximum contribution and we would have had to pay the extra.

He didn't meet the test so the whole amount was paid between us. His govt super and private super paid a reasonable chunk of the weekly bill. I paid the extra.

From there you also have to pay for extra like hair cuts internet, and nail clipping hearing aids etc Ambulance call outside were covered.

You get to appreciate costs when person assessed as likely to have 3 months to live but lingers for years.

As I understand it, if a facility has a contract with a dhb they have to accept a person if a suitable care level bed is available. If oca has beds available for minimum wage council flat residents the person will only get a basic room because they won't be able to afford extras. A care subsidy is available for basic care but you loose pretty much most of your pension. If you don't own a home it's unlikely you would get a care loan.

I wouldn't have thought oca would have too many basic rooms.