sharetrader
Page 357 of 1942 FirstFirst ... 2573073473533543553563573583593603613674074578571357 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 19415

Our lives in retirement village ( Arvida) are very similar to Roger’s mother.
    Fixed fees for life ($140 pw).
    We came to a town where we knew no one, but its the best decision we could have made, there is always someone to talk to if you want it, free morning tea everyday, medical centre, laboratory, dentist at gate, a quick walk to mall, chartered club next door.
    Im embarrassed to say Ive only put petrol in our car twice this year.
    I think the answer is to move in when you can make use of all the facilities still.
    The only downside is seeing very old people shuffling around, and seeing your future.
    I dont think most children care about their inheritance, I suspect many think its a good trade off not having to deal with parents problems. Its a very safe feeling living here.

Quote Originally Posted by QOH View Post
    Our lives in retirement village ( Arvida) are very similar to Roger’s mother.
    Fixed fees for life ($140 pw).
    We came to a town where we knew no one, but its the best decision we could have made, there is always someone to talk to if you want it, free morning tea everyday, medical centre, laboratory, dentist at gate, a quick walk to mall, chartered club next door.
    Im embarrassed to say Ive only put petrol in our car twice this year.
    I think the answer is to move in when you can make use of all the facilities still.
    The only downside is seeing very old people shuffling around, and seeing your future.
    I dont think most children care about their inheritance, I suspect many think its a good trade off not having to deal with parents problems. Its a very safe feeling living here.
    Great to get that from the insiders, QOH.
    my sister and husband, moved in with mum n dad to look after them, but it has become a life sentance, as they have lived longer than expected and now she is resentful i am not in the UK to help them out. A sheltered accomodation would have been great .

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    My Mum's village changed to fixed fees for life a couple of years back in exchange for a one-off fee increase of about 5% which seemed very reasonable to me.
    She pays $632 per month ~ $146 per week for a lovely large 110 sq meter 2 bedroom unit north facing with views and a very nice sunroom which is so well situated to the sun it often gets up to 30 degree's in winter ! The $146 includes, rates, insurance, gardens, maintenance, panic buttons in various rooms with on call nurse, organised trips, bowling green, swimming pool and spa and so on and so on.
    She gets a lovely glossy full colour weekly village newsletter about all the activities planned for the coming week in the village including all the various clubs that are meeting as well as weekly organised trips and visiting guests and news about any special meal occasions in the onsite restaurant.
    She is fortunate at nearly 90 she can still drive but when she eventually can't there at 2 or 3 weekly shopping trips in the village van she can take advantage of.
    People come and fix things promptly at her unit the odd time something goes wrong, much faster than I can get a tradesman to visit my house lol
    Perhaps most importantly of all their is a very good kind vibe to the village and a real sense of community and caring and she has a number of good friends in the village and made a number of new ones since moving in about 10 years ago.
    I think its great for her and she has been very very happy living there for just on 10 years in this well supported and caring environment.
    A lot of negative stuff about retirement villages needs to be balanced with some positiveness I feel.
    oh and Happy Easter98599F70-45BA-436D-A786-37F60514A42F.jpg
    Beagle

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    So OCA to join the NZX50 in may by the looks, good news.
    Just curious Couta where you read this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Just curious Couta where you read this ?
    Here it is Maverick

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12223335

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    Thanks Longy.

Be careful with this index inclusion Maverick. I emailed Earl about this last week and he emailed back and told me its not a done deal yet.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Be careful with this index inclusion Maverick. I emailed Earl about this last week and he emailed back and told me its not a done deal yet.
    Always risky to play on index inclusions and departures. If one looks into the history of these frequently hyped up events than all one often sees is some SP volatility around the event (probably more from the hype than from the index transactions), but it is quite rare that the SP moves long term due to the index event.

If OCA will be included into the NZX 50, than all which happens is that the NZX All Ord Index funds move their holdings into the NZX 50 index funds. No big deal.

Obviously - OCA might go up due to other reasons - like great PE in combination with lots of growth and favourable population demographics. Recent gummit decision might help as well (no CGT gives our bulls one reason less to down ramp) - and obviously ... it is not just me who sees them as undervalued (check analyst recommendations: https://www.marketscreener.com/OCEAN...010/consensus/).

Discl: happy holder, but don't expect fireworks from any index inclusion.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Always risky to play on index inclusions and departures. If one looks into the history of these frequently hyped up events than all one often sees is some SP volatility around the event (probably more from the hype than from the index transactions), but it is quite rare that the SP moves long term due to the index event.

If OCA will be included into the NZX 50, than all which happens is that the NZX All Ord Index funds move their holdings into the NZX 50 index funds. No big deal.

Obviously - OCA might go up due to other reasons - like great PE in combination with lots of growth and favourable population demographics. Recent gummit decision might help as well (no CGT gives our bulls one reason less to down ramp) - and obviously ... it is not just me who sees them as undervalued (check analyst recommendations: https://www.marketscreener.com/OCEAN...010/consensus/).

Discl: happy holder, but don't expect fireworks from any index inclusion.
    Could do a Comvita though ...look at what happened when they got included in the NZX50 ...was like it broke free from all things that had been holding the share price down.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Could do a Comvita though ...look at what happened when they got included in the NZX50 ...was like it broke free from all things that had been holding the share price down.
    Yeap, CVT went up 20%...Not the only example either, PPH got a big lift also of just on 20% on NZX50 inclusion...some naughty dog played both these events and enjoyed a serious feed each time but there have been times when nothing has happened as BP quite rightly cautioned.

Bit of a lottery really. Agree it's good value at $1.00 or thereabouts.
    For my money, (and this is purely speculative on my part), if it does get index inclusion the lift, if any, won't be anything like 20% this time.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-04-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine