sharetrader
Page 486 of 1977 FirstFirst ... 3864364764824834844854864874884894904965365869861486 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,860 of 19761
    Advanced Member

Deleted (off topic)
    Last edited by ratkin; 30-03-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MauroNZ View Post
    Such a valuable post, thanks for it. I wish I had seen this posted when price was 0.40.
    The best advice so often comes afterwards.

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

This post has nothing very little to do with OCA, but I feel this particular thread has attracted a smarter / positive crowd compared to some of those dominating the on more appropriate threads.

FWIW, I talked to 2 of my kids with over the weekend and as a result they switched their KiwiSaver from "balanced" to "growth" funds.

For any oldies here , it took 2 tick boxes and 1 minute.
    Without doubt this "ease of switching" has partially contributed to the panic selling we saw last week (OCA diving to 40cents��) .
    Anyway just sharing in case other parents on this forum also think this a good idea.
    Last edited by Maverick; 30-03-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Without doubt this "ease of switching" has partially contributed to the panic selling we saw last week (OCA diving to 40cents) .
    Anyway just sharing in case other parents in this forum might also think this a good idea.
    The waves of panic may still be washing around the globe.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 30-03-2020 at 09:08 AM.

This post has nothing very little to do with OCA, but I feel this particular thread has attracted a smarter / positive crowd compared to some of those dominating the on more appropriate threads.

FWIW, I talked to 2 of my kids with over the weekend and as a result they switched their KiwiSaver from "balanced" to "growth" funds.

Without doubt this "ease of switching" has partially contributed to the panic selling we saw last week (OCA diving to 40cents��) .
    Anyway just sharing in case other parents on this forum also think this a good idea.
    I agree that it is a good idea not to forget to move Kiwi saver funds more towards growth as soon as we are close to the bottom. Whether this is already now - I can't really say.

Discl: I plan to spread my conservative Kiwi saver powder over time ... but to be honest - I took the first step in moving part of my conservative funds into growth funds last week. It is in my view likely not yet the bottom, but it is tough to bottom pick - and I am pretty sure that in a handful of years I will be quite content with the current purchase prices ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

The number of cases in retirement homes (and prisons) in USA is rapidly increasing. Every week Trump and his merry men piss around and try to ignore the science doubles the number of deaths they will get. Some states have locked down, but the good doctor is now guessing 200,000 dead. The flow through from the rest home stories in USA will have some impact here, but I have been buying the aged care sector in small quantities.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The number of cases in retirement homes (and prisons) in USA is rapidly increasing. Every week Trump and his merry men piss around and try to ignore the science doubles the number of deaths they will get. Some states have locked down, but the good doctor is now guessing 200,000 dead. The flow through from the rest home stories in USA will have some impact here, but I have been buying the aged care sector in small quantities.
    200,000 dead in the States is the same as saying NZ will have 3,125 dead. Tragic yes, but economically insignificant.

He is assuming that there are more lock downs and other mitigation measures in place. "Only" 2977 died in 9/11 and look at the huge irrational ramifications of that. OTT airport inspections, bombing of nations that had nothing to do with it, locking up of innocent people without trial. The vast majority of CV19 the deaths in USA will be due to the anti science brigade and political incompetence. Whether they will be held accountable is another thing. Just like the American reaction to 911 became imposed as "best practise" , so the rest home industry here may suffer doing unnecessary things that are imposed as "best practise".

What kind of unnecessary things?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    so the rest home industry here may suffer doing unnecessary things that are imposed as "best practise".

Veteran novice

Good post, Maverick. I've thought for some time now that the wild swings in the market - not just OCA, but mentioning them keeps this thread on topic! -have been aggravated by the abrupt movements in and out of the different risk categories of Kiwisaver. I don't think that this is the time to get too clever trying to finesse one's savings this way.