sharetrader
Page 272 of 1942 FirstFirst ... 1722222622682692702712722732742752762823223727721272 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 19415
    percy

Consumer staple.??????????????????????????????

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Consumer staple.??????????????????????????????
    Sure is, hot pies, cold soft drinks and coffees. Staple food for many !!

Default What is a consumer staple ?

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c...merstaples.asp
    "Consumer staples are essential products, such as food, beverages, tobacco and household items. Consumer staples are goods that people are unable or unwilling to cut out of their budgets regardless of their financial situation. Consumer staples are considered to be non-cyclical, meaning that they are always in demand, no matter how well the economy is performing. People tend to demand consumer staples at a relatively constant level, regardless of their price".

Good quality late stage healthcare is also a consumer staple for people who need and can afford it, as is fuel, (unless you have an electric car in which case electricity is your fuel and also a consumer staple). Living in an independent retirement unit on the other hand, (such as that which is predominantly offered by SUM and MET) is a lifestyle choice people make, not a consumer staple and people will avoid it if the terms and conditions are not right. What is a need and what is a discretionary choice is a very important distinction to note when choosing which company you want to invest in especially if times get tougher and the real estate market comes under pressure.
    Bad dog, sniffing which is best...must go and park at the airport and watch my planes and sniff the breeze when they takeoff...some dogs are known to like the smell of spent aviation fuel Consumer staples are not just food.
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-01-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

You certainly give a new meaning to them.!!
    I will stick with the accepted meaning.

When Oil went to nearly $150 barrel late last decade and fuel hit record high's fuel consumption dropped just 2% on a national basis. I think this tells us all we need to know about how inelastic the demand for fuel is. If they doubled the price of your favourite food item do you think you'd still consume the same amount ?
    Listening to CNBC the other day the cost of quality late stage care in the US is ~ $US9,000 per month approx. $NZ3,000 per week + GST. (Currently somewhere around half that here)

If the price of late stage, (say dementia care) doubled to that level in N.Z. over the next decade and you absolutely needed it would that put you off ? What would you do instead ?
    On the other hand if the cost of voluntary independent living entry into retirement village (both the up front capex cost and weekly fees) doubled over the next decade would that put you off ? What would you do instead ?

What is a want and what is a need ? Yes, its really that simple.
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-01-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

If I agreed with you,then both of us would be wrong....lol.

Consumer staples are goods that people are unable or unwilling to cut out of their budgets regardless of their financial situation. Straight out of Investopedia...simple enough to understand.
    Healthcare generally is also considered to have very good defensive investing properties, (financials do not). I rest my case.

Well it is good to see OCA looking after us shareholders.
    My mother-in-law is in OCA care in Hastings but I’m now wondering if the residents are considered, as yesterday they didn’t prepare enough meals for lunch. They then said they could make sandwiches’ only to find they had nothing to put on them so a few residents appeared to have missed out on a meal.
    Hope this is an isolated incident & won’t happen again. My largest investment is in this company & this is very concerning.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by thestg View Post
    Well it is good to see OCA looking after us shareholders.
    My mother-in-law is in OCA care in Hastings but I’m now wondering if the residents are considered, as yesterday they didn’t prepare enough meals for lunch. They then said they could make sandwiches’ only to find they had nothing to put on them so a few residents appeared to have missed out on a meal.
    Hope this is an isolated incident & won’t happen again. My largest investment is in this company & this is very concerning.
    Sorry to hear. Pretty alarming...... as the saying goes, "one bad apple can spoil the basket".
    I hope you complained to management.

Consumer Staples are clearly cyclical at OCA in Hastings