sharetrader
Page 1963 of 1963 FirstFirst ... 963146318631913195319591960196119621963
Results 19,621 to 19,624 of 19624

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    I'd argue purchasing a house is among the worst "investments" someone can make, especially in New Zealand.

It only works out for you as an investor if you leverage tf up and experience multiple expansion.

Productive assets are the way to go, sensibly priced equities or some private interest in a business.
    Argued all you like but the rise and rise of house prices since the 1970s, easily outpacing inflation, speaks for itself.

Like all investments however, timing is also important however and I certainly did not and would not have bought any property in the last 2 years. Especially in the fringe outlying areas.
    Last edited by Balance; Today at 10:56 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    You can make a motza on rent... Rents in world class cities like melbourne are lower than in auckland (road cones everywhere, potholes, no public transport) and even Wellington.
    Increasingly, no public services are offered by any city in NZ these days.

Look at the libaries in Australia for a comparison which are mostly free to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Library_Victoria
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...ew_South_Wales
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; Today at 11:06 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    I'd argue purchasing a house is among the worst "investments" someone can make, especially in New Zealand.

It only works out for you as an investor if you leverage tf up and experience multiple expansion.

Productive assets are the way to go, sensibly priced equities or some private interest in a business.
    I told my wife for about 45 years that houses were a bad investment. Consequently the five family homes we owned (now in No 5) were our only exposure to real estate. She was right, as always, should have invested in more, although to be honest, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and we did really well with the family homes we owned. All of them. So that's my experience. Who knows what's ahead ? But it is certainly easy to leverage up on real-estate, even if you're not really understanding what you are doing. Harder to do with other classes of investment.

It's tough RTM, what you don't see is the challenges people have had while holding those properties. I am in the opposite position and I'm all in, sort of second wave too. I still own my first home and have done for 12 years now. I was mortgage free and I had the opportunity to subdivide as I was rezoned to medium density. I'm now loaded to the gills as I hold 3x homes and close to 2m in mortgage. I just refixed for 6 months on the lot at 6.95% and my interest only bill is $10,200 a month. Having to top up $1000 a week as rent doesn't come close after all the costs (mostly rates and insurance).

It's been tough, I am looking at all my investments and wondering why I bother lately.