sharetrader
Page 701 of 1965 FirstFirst ... 20160165169169769869970070170270370470571175180112011701 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,010 of 19644
    Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I should have made myself clearer-I meant selling before we die-eg to buy the best OCA unit should we need .
    Should you die holding shares then your estate will sell the shares .
    So the shares are eventually traded in someway -making a trading loss or gain
    Your estate is not obliged at all, to sell your shares, they could be distributed to the beneficiaries. Or sold. If they do that It will be taxed like a pseudo death duty.

You’re dancing around this, moving the subject from yourself and your decisions, to beneficiaries but either way the intent is clear in law, either you have no intent to sell ever, ergo enjoy the capital gains and the taxable income, or you do not. It’s not grey, it’s black and white.

Test it if you don’t believe me. Take your position to the IRD and ask ‘did I read this correctly’, yeah right!

Some say don’t fight the Fed. I say sure, but don’t fight the IRD either. They have an extraordinarily long memory. Squeaky clean with no ambiguity makes it easier to sleep at night. Get a big five accountant to help sort out what Is taxable and what isn’t. Selling to buy a shed, well let’s see how that stands up to scrutiny.

Likewise all you other ‘investors’ who on a whim decide to reap your capital gains. The IRD can make life miserable and even more so for those who are later in life and cut a few corners along the way.

Bless

Banned

Sleep tight all, no doubt a few grumpy off topic puritans will be out soon to bring things back on track. PS-Sorry Baa Baa but I must strongly disagree with you about it not being grey, it is in fact very grey currently, black and white would be a brightline test or a CGT.
    Last edited by couta1; 19-10-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

I feel MET SOA already factored into the price
    Sold some today to buy a big shed....
    Is this your first shed or a subsequent one?

Do you see it as an investment property, i.e. a shed that you will spend much time sitting in?
    or more property, plant & equipment, as in a shed for keeping plants and mowers in?

if you need to build a path to the shed do you intend to classify the path in the same category as the shed itself, either partially or fully?

Under no circumstance let the IRD into your shed .
    om mani peme hum

generally i fing baa baa strategy of hold for ever not very good why

does baa baa know what the companies going to perform like in the next 5 yrs let alone 10 and is he/she just going to ignore new information that rolls in on the company no matter what. sounds like buy and hope when you blindly put a stock in the bottom draw.

simply buying again if the price dips big again is not a fool proof strategy as in the point above you do not know what the future will be.

I like fish strategy sell a bit of the profits and buy something you can enjoy and then let the rest run if you like. if it crashes again at least you have a nice shed to remind you of your good fortune.
    one step ahead of the herd

With all the MET money coming share price over $1.50 by weekend ..and even higher next week.

Broker analysts will need to revise just to keep up ...and that’ll help as well.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    generally i fing baa baa strategy of hold for ever not very good why

does baa baa know what the companies going to perform like in the next 5 yrs let alone 10 and is he/she just going to ignore new information that rolls in on the company no matter what. sounds like buy and hope when you blindly put a stock in the bottom draw.

simply buying again if the price dips big again is not a fool proof strategy as in the point above you do not know what the future will be.

I like fish strategy sell a bit of the profits and buy something you can enjoy and then let the rest run if you like. if it crashes again at least you have a nice shed to remind you of your good fortune.
    Yes I was enjoying what I was doing.
    Now I have been brought to Earth and reminded that my main intention of Holding long-term could be challenged by the IRD if I sell .
    I promise I have no intention of selling OCA and will hold for the Dividend income .

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    ... but either way the intent is clear in law, either you have no intent to sell ever, ergo enjoy the capital gains and the taxable income, or you do not.
    This may be a daft question, but if you "have no intent to sell ever" then how can you enjoy the capital gains?

Yes I was enjoying what I was doing.
    Now I have been brought to Earth and reminded that my main intention of Holding long-term could be challenged by the IRD if I sell .
    I promise I have no intention of selling OCA and will hold for the Dividend income .
    but what if the dividends dont come ? you or i dont know what the future holds and cannot say with a 100% gaurantee that dividends will always be paid.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    but what if the dividends dont come ? you or i dont know what the future holds and cannot say with a 100% gaurantee that dividends will always be paid.
    Nothing is guaranteed Bull

Guru

yes back to this OCA stock. Some here think the MET money will move the market by next week? These good new zealanders have a much better appreciation if the property market than we will ever have.

Do these Antipodean property experts really think the local will just redirect that money to retirement properties?

What about other property stocks like ARV, ARG, KPG (prehaps undervalued for a the next year), other sectors HLG, ATM, PLX, the freights have long sailed along with FPH.

Some may even go to retail KMD and beaten down SKC.

surely the advisors will want the money sprinkled into the market, some to the ASX and some to ETF.

You experts may say retirement money will simple be sent back into retirement Stock? And its a no brainer re Winners comments and that person is often not wrong.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 20-10-2020 at 09:38 AM.