sharetrader
Page 490 of 1965 FirstFirst ... 3904404804864874884894904914924934945005405909901490 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,900 of 19644

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Maybe he knows something others don't - as an ex-insider?
    Let's look at stock 101 basics. What does insider selling suggest to you?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Let's look at stock 101 basics. What does insider selling suggest to you?
    Insider selling suggests not so good things. But insider buying to me is a stronger indicator than insider selling. There have also been quite a few insider buys on this stock recently. Hard to balance the two so to speak. There are often genuine reasons for insider sells (like building a new deck) so I put more weight on insider buys. That said, he did sell a heck of a lot of OCA.

He's still holding 200k of them, if that's any indicator. Really bad timing for him to sell so many, but who knows what's behind it, maybe another business venture or opportunity looked too good to miss.

did anyone mention capitulation?

Absolutely brutal market for those that bought stocks on leverage.. such a tempting strategy though especially at dips, but risk is enough to get you out of the game completely

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadalac123 View Post
    Absolutely brutal market for those that bought stocks on leverage.. such a tempting strategy though especially at dips, but risk is enough to get you out of the game completely
    Not nice, but important learning lesson.

FWIW I've been bitten by it in 1990's and vowed never to use leverage again for share investment. My golden rule now is to invest only funds that I'm not going to need for at least 5 years.

It's worked a treat and no stress (even in the current market my 5yr av % pa returns much better than managed funds or NZX50.)

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    Not nice, but important learning lesson.

FWIW I've been bitten by it in 1990's and vowed never to use leverage again for share investment. My golden rule now is to invest only funds that I'm not going to need for at least 5 years.

It's worked a treat and no stress (even in the current market my 5yr av % pa returns much better than managed funds or NZX50.)
    Yeah... I have to be lying to say I wasn’t heavily tempted during this downturn but not worth it.. maybe a leveraged ETF is better ! Like tqqq 😂

DCA is supposed to be the gold standard for safe re-entry, but I have regrets here. 40c was too good an opportunity, and I held back. Got some, but could have got a LOT more. Could it have dropped further? Maybe, but the value was clear, and I was happy to enter at those prices.

The lesson is a little biased by the fact that the price has turned around so quickly and come back up, but I am questioning the strategy in these circumstances. Regular buying of smaller amounts just doesn't always make sense. If you have a high conviction, are trying to build up a larger position, and the value meter starts screaming... why go in small? It is a question of risk vs reward. DCA is to de-risk your entry, but if the risk/reward ratio is already skewed heavily in your favour by panic selling or thoughts of armageddon, then the need to de-risk your entry is far less than usual.

Hopefully things crash back down to sub 50 again so I can get another chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    We remain ever hopeful haha. Hindsight... We might be back down that way again if there is a serious outbreak in one or two of the facilities, but I for one hope it doesn't come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    DCA is supposed to be the gold standard for safe re-entry, but I have regrets here. 40c was too good an opportunity, and I held back. Got some, but could have got a LOT more. Could it have dropped further? Maybe, but the value was clear, and I was happy to enter at those prices.

The lesson is a little biased by the fact that the price has turned around so quickly and come back up, but I am questioning the strategy in these circumstances. Regular buying of smaller amounts just doesn't always make sense. If you have a high conviction, are trying to build up a larger position, and the value meter starts screaming... why go in small? It is a question of risk vs reward. DCA is to de-risk your entry, but if the risk/reward ratio is already skewed heavily in your favour by panic selling or thoughts of armageddon, then the need to de-risk your entry is far less than usual.

That’s just hindsight .
    You have no idea where the price would have ended up there were no reliable support levels since it dropped below IPO price .

With that logic you could have thought 60c was a steal too while it was going down .

Don’t beat yourself over it and remember that how much you put in is personal portfolio size based and DCA doesn’t mean put tiny amounts in each time it means lowering your average holding cost and you can do that whatever way you want but the reality is you think 40c was the ideal price but it’s got no basis .

Furthermore the price surges are driven by institutions it’s not smart to think you’ll time it better than them so in hindsight every price looked like a great entry but it’s only a great entry if a big institution thought it was . Long term 60 and 40c entries won’t make any difference .

My entry was purely luck based and I wont even act like I modeled the price as being ideal entry
    Last edited by Cadalac123; 01-04-2020 at 12:17 PM.