sharetrader
Page 262 of 1942 FirstFirst ... 1622122522582592602612622632642652662723123627621262 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 19415

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    Although this article does not mention OCA it just needs a few stories like this to muddy the waters for retirement home investors.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/12/3.../diana-clement

While I think such shares still have their place in a balanced portfolio, make sure you are not over exposed and DYOR. Take Care.
    good article sums up the industry quite well. esp the raising the age to get the turnover. as we all know without the turnover the profits are not as good
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    good article sums up the industry quite well. esp the raising the age to get the turnover. as we all know without the turnover the profits are not as good
    Interesting that you only read one side of the story ... but no surprises here.

Wilkinson says when villages start the age of those buying in is younger than the average. As the first residents age the village cohort gets older and new residents are often friends of the now ageing original residents.
    The average age increase in a retirement village might have very natural causes ... its like moving (young) into a new subdivision with many other young people and wondering afterwards why everybody ages (like you and me) every year by a year ...

Not all natural causes are due to corporate greed .....
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    "raised the minimum age in line with other retirement villages"
    Sounds like corparate speak to me -more like we realised we were missing out.

westerly

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Interesting that you only read one side of the story ... but no surprises here.

The average age increase in a retirement village might have very natural causes ... its like moving (young) into a new subdivision with many other young people and wondering afterwards why everybody ages (like you and me) every year by a year ...

Not all natural causes are due to corporate greed .....
    I agree. Many people aged in their 80's who would pass for 60 year olds. I have someone I know of who is 80 and works as security. He has no intention of quitting his job and as I said would pass for a 60 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    I agree. Many people aged in their 80's who would pass for 60 year olds. I have someone I know of who is 80 and works as security. He has no intention of quitting his job and as I said would pass for a 60 year old.
    I would love to bump into some of these eighty plus year olds that look sixty..are they all so poor they are still working at that age?

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I would love to bump into some of these eighty plus year olds that look sixty..are they all so poor they are still working at that age?
    My father in law turns this year 87 but is strong, fit and looks ways younger. He is still working in the saw mill which he used to own (It is now his son and his grand child running it). He is working these days mainly on a part time basis (30 hours per week), but worked full time through to age 85.

This is quite hard physical work, despite a lot of equipment - and he is certainly not working for the money (though they pay him for the hours ...). He says that he is going to die if he stops working ... and this is something he wants to delay as long as possible. BTW - he does love this work.
    ----

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    A lot of them are permanent residents at Nelson's Tahunanua Motor Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    My father in law turns this year 87 but is strong, fit and looks ways younger. He is still working in the saw mill which he used to own (It is now his son and his grand child running it). He is working these days mainly on a part time basis (30 hours per week), but worked full time through to age 85.

This is quite hard physical work, despite a lot of equipment - and he is certainly not working for the money (though they pay him for the hours ...). He says that he is going to die if he stops working ... and this is something he wants to delay as long as possible. BTW - he does love this work.
    I can understand part time work in one 70's, maybe 4-5 hours a day for 2-3 days a week if you love your work but your Dad does seem to be unusual. Did he never learn to enjoy boating, golf, fishing, travel, bowls, the theatre, fine wine / dining or simply relaxing ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-01-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I can understand part time work in one 70's, maybe 4-5 hours a day for 2-3 days a week if you love your work but your Dad does seem to be unusual. Did he never learn to enjoy boating, golf, fishing, travel, bowls, the theatre, fine wine / dining or simply relaxing ?
    Every person is different and some hate all those things considering them a waste of time. Their opinion might be “I want to be around the family as often as I can I may die tomorrow”.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Sure - but that's stuff he is doing in his spare time. He is quite good in playing chess, likes to go to concerts, he reads a lot (and often remembers more than I do) and he is voluntarily running a local archive. But this alone wouldn't satisfy him ... so he goes as well to work.
    ----