sharetrader
Page 274 of 1942 FirstFirst ... 1742242642702712722732742752762772782843243747741274 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 19415
    percy

Consumer staples is a section of the sharemarket which is known as such,and has its own index..
    No amount of discussion is going to alter that.
    It is a fact.
    Last edited by percy; 16-01-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post

The S & P NZ Consumer Staple Index includes the following 17 NZ companies.I have included their weighting.[as of today]
    ATM...73.15%
    SML...6.19%
    SCL...4.47%
    FSF...4.22%
    SAN...3.80%
    DGL....2.61%
    PGW....1.55%
    CVT.....1.43%
    NZK.....1.09%
    GXH.....0.49%
    FWL......0.38%
    TGG......0.17%
    MOA.....0.13%
    ALF......0.06%
    SEA......0.06%
    PIL........0.01%.
    What we learn is two fold.
    a} what a consumer staple is,as it is referred to on sharemarkets..
    b} A2 milk makes up 73.15 % of the index.
    Weird that not only honey CVT salmon NZK and beer MOA and wine DGL are considered consumer staples but that PIL is included as well = it makes a supplement for joint pain!!
    So I have trouble agreeing with their choices on this index to be honest and wouldnt include A2 milk as a staple. though normal milk (FSF) would be.
    Retirement living not really a consumption thing as a whole, though I guess elderly care services may be for old people who of course are making up increasing percentages of the population.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

percy

I was surprised RBD was not included.
    Offcourse overseas they include the likes of supermarkets,breakfast food manufacturers,Coca-cola,Procter & Gamble,Colgate-Palmolive etc.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Consumer staples is a section of the sharemarket which is known as such,and has its own index..
    No amount of discussion is going to alter that.
    It is a fact.
    Doesnt make it a good or useful index. Seems to me just a bunch of loosely related companies stitched to sell in an enticing package to those who cant be bothered.

I was surprised RBD was not included.
    I would have thought that one would have the heaviest weighting.
    Last edited by minimoke; 16-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Petrol might be missing but booze isn’t ...a real consumable staple
    lol believe it or not you can live without booze.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

[QUOTE=minimoke;744068]Doesnt make it a good or useful index.
    Agreed,but posters now know what 17 companies make up S&P's NZ Consumer Staples index,and can correctly be called a consumer staple.
    Last edited by percy; 16-01-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    lol believe it or not you can live without booze.
    LOL - where do you come up with such fanciful notions?

Lets stop the silly nit picking of whether something meets the classic definition of a consumer staple for goodness sake...I have a view, Percy has a different view, various links I could provide support my view but lets move on because the whole point of this discussion on the OCA thread is for people to think about what is a consumer (I will take the word staple out of it) essential, product or service is to think about which companies are going to do well in good times and bad because what product they sell or what service they provide is perceived by the purchaser or user to be an "essential" item.

For 99% of motorists fuel is an essential item...there is no debate about this, the EV stat's speak for themselves. Fuel volumes declined just 2% last time the price of fuel went truly ballistic late last decade so this tells you all you need to know about how essential this consumer product is. Whether it meets some arbitrary dictionary definition of a consumer staple, to be honest I feel this is totally irrelevant.

Why did I raise this issue on this thread ? I maintain that quality late stage care is an "essential service" for those that can afford it but it probably isn't because there's lower standards of care the state will provide. In any event I think there's a vast tsunami of baby boomers who will want to have quality late stage care and I think OCA are well positioned to provide it to them.

LOL Minimoke...after this debate with Percy I definitely need a drink lol
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-01-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Why did I raise this issue on this thread ? I maintain that quality late stage care is an "essential service" for those that can afford it but it probably isn't because there's lower standards of care the state will provide
    Surely an "essential" is available to all, regardless of wealth. Otherwise its a "luxury"

percy

Lets stop the silly nit picking of whether something meets the classic definition of a consumer staple for goodness sake...I have a view, Percy has a different view, various links I could provide support my view but lets move on because the whole point of this discussion on the OCA thread is for people to think about what is a consumer (I will take the word staple out of it) essential, product or service is to think about which companies are going to do well in good times and bad because what product they sell or what service they provide is perceived by the purchaser or user to be an "essential" item.
    For 99% of motorists fuel is an essential item...there is no debate about this, the EV stat's speak for themselves. Fuel volumes declined just 2% last time fuel went truly ballistic late last decade so this tells you all you need to know about how essential this consumer product is. Whether it meets some arbitrary dictionary definition of a consumer staple, to be honest I feel this is totally irrelevant.

Why did I raise this issue on this thread ? I maintain that quality late stage care is an "essential service" for those that can afford it but it probably isn't because there's lower standards of care the state will provide. In any event I think there's a vast tsunami of baby boomers who will want to have quality late stage care and I think OCA are well positioned to provide it to them.

LOL Minimoke...after this debate with Percy I definitely need a drink lol
    It is not a debate between us.
    It is a debate between you and S&P, and the likes of Vanguard,as to what is definded as a Consumer Staple.