sharetrader
Page 53 of 1964 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657631031535531053 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Capital Gains Tax could be good for the sector, if they already pay income tax on gains as traders. In the event they ever sell up, if it is set at the 15% previously mooted by Labour, they will be laughing.
    I am no expert and this is certainly not advice, but even with a capital gains tax, wouldn't traders still be liable for income tax as their gains would still be regarded as assessable income rather than capital gains?

Banned

News on the Herald...Labour wins...retirement n property stocks will be under pressure...I think property n retirement sectors will be under pressure till the change of government. The chart does not look good...Will go down possible 95c in next two weeks.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    Man under the dollar mark... I was sure we would never see such a bargain again...
    Trading at 11 PE right now, the next cheapest (eg SUM and MET) are trading at PE's over a third higher, and we won't bother comparing it to RYM, they are (nearly) worlds apart.

What is clear is this year is a big one for OCA, what is less clear is when the market is going to start realizing this (again).
    I am not sure if Labour would want to upset the tax ruling that the retirement sector rely upon. After all the profits from the sale of ORA help cross subsidise their care beds. With pay equity, and future relativity pay claims,the future provision of care beds may be more reliant on the operators who sell ORAs.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 08-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I am not sure if Labour would want to upset the tax ruling that the retirement sector rely upon. After all the profits from the sale of ORA help cross subsidise their care beds. With pay equity, and future relativity pay claims,the future provision of care beds may be more reliant on the operators who sell ORAs.
    I would say they will want to crack down more on those that make money off property - ie all those unrealized gains, rather than those operators with thousands of staff helping (literally) take care of the elderly (not just sell them an expensive Auckland shoe box apartment retirement village, with no care component).

Those that are more care based could even find themselves with subsidies - we don't really know with this labour party, but we do know they like splashing cash everywhere and anywhere.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post

In any case, a comprehensive review by experts will not happen overnight. Then there is the legislative process and IRD systems to set up. I'm picking 2 years minimum, probably longer. Just in time for a fully formed policy into the 2020 election.
    You're assuming here that they don't know already exactly what they intend to do. I believe they do and will be able to put it into place much more quickly than you would think. I don't believe for a moment that after 9 years in opposition that they do not know exactly what they want to do.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    You're assuming here that they don't know already exactly what they intend to do. I believe they do and will be able to put it into place much more quickly than you would think. I don't believe for a moment that after 9 years in opposition that they do not know exactly what they want to do.
    I think they will do what the charismatic jacinda tells them to do.Their old policies didnt work for the electorate

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Despite being in opposition for 9 years (and having several different leaders with different ideas over that period) I actually think they really have no idea what they will be doing, except throwing money everywhere!

IMO

Show me where they are splashing money around more then national. i think its the other way around or at least the same. In fact national are more left then anyone atm, more right and all over the place in a desperate attempt to stay with carrots being chucked everywhere.. Fear mongering is the standard nat tactic re taxes etc. But remember who raised it 18 times after helen clarks govt with 9 strong fiscal years, national. labour don't want just a 3 year term they will not alienate the voters but they will improve more NZ'ers lives, thats a good thing, esp health for retirees.

Spending money - good

A 2,668m2 site on View Road to expand operations of Oceania’s Eden

That 2,668 sqm sounds huge .....but in old fashioned terms only 2/3rds of an acre

Suppose if you go high rise will get more than a few units on it
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

That is what Labour good at...keep borrowing n spending...