sharetrader
Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Jetpack

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I had thought mjp had come up with some special fly by wire technology. But I also see the balloon is going to be tethered at a couple of km high. So can't see quite the use for fly by wire and I'm quite sure the jet pack isn't designed to go that high. Unless you strap some unsuspecting Chinese or congoles pilot into it.
    Fly by wire is not unique technology - lots of different aircraft use similar technology to smooth/control the ride.

The uniqueness for MJP is that it's a freakin' jetpack - not a helicoptor, a fighter pilot, a harrier jet or anything like it.

Whether there is some mysterious application for a near-space vehicle, or whether the MJP has some other use, remains to be cleared up.

Edit: As discussed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-by-wire
    Last edited by robbo24; 22-12-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbo24 View Post
    Fly by wire is not unique technology - lots of different aircraft use similar technology to smooth/control the ride.
    I was hoping they had come up with somthing new. Aside from it being a "jet pack" there is not much else new. A Bit Of aluminium for an airframe, a balistics parachute, an engine strapped to you, the Stig dressed in black - it's all been done before

The uniqueness for MJP is that it's a freakin' jetpack - not a helicoptor, a fighter pilot, a harrier jet or anything like it.
    A misnomer now befuddling the Chinese. It's a ducted fan arrangement. Nothing new there - the idea has been put into flight back in the '60s. What is novel is the idea of strapping an engine to your back

Whether there is some mysterious application for a near-space vehicle, or whether the MJP has some other use, remains to be cleared up.
    Some one here will know - at what altitude does a petrol engine stop working?. I've driven one at 4500m and it was dangerously sluggish. I can't see an unmanned jet pack sending supplies to an unmanned balloon - unless the balloon will be manned in which case it might be easier to dock a jetpack than land a helicopter.

Lets face it - I'm not imaginative enough to come up with workable idea for a use for a jet pack near land, let alone near space[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Some one here will know - at what altitude does a petrol engine stop working?. I've driven one at 4500m and it was dangerously sluggish. I can't see an unmanned jet pack sending supplies to an unmanned balloon - unless the balloon will be manned in which case it might be easier to dock a jetpack than land a helicopter.
    [/QUOTE]

Petrol engines can be engineered to work at pretty high altitudes if required. I imagine a generator works fine in the himalayas .. the problem with flight becomes the thin air, less air over the wings to cause lift.

Petrol engines can be engineered to work at pretty high altitudes if required. I imagine a generator works fine in the himalayas .. the problem with flight becomes the thin air, less air over the wings to cause lift.
    When in doubt google is my friend and I can be an instant expert haha. Anyway, according to someone there is half as much oxygen at 18,000 feet as there is at sea level. As we know a petrol engine needs to gets its air / fuel ratio right to fire. And we know the JetPack has been tested to 5,000 feet so probably not a lot of research gone into fuel systems. So how are they going to get one of these things to fly in near space at 65,000 - 328,000. Expect delivery perhaps in 2099. Do the fan blades count as wings?

Anyway, probably safe to say the jetpack has absolutely nothing to do with near space so KSL aren't spending for this reason.
    Last edited by minimoke; 22-12-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: quote

Quote Originally Posted by robbo24 View Post
    The risk profile will drop off once a sale or two comes through - MJP only need to sell a few jetpacks to demonstrate some fundamental value.
    MJP did tell us they already have. Remember - 3 jetpacks and a stimulator for $1m to the americans

Does anyone else wonder how (ominously) quiet MJP has gone about this ground breakING deal. This was a significant event but no mention of it in Prospectus v2.7. Very strange I reckon

Does seem strange.
    Appear to have been struggling to get investors then a "white knight" suddenly appears and no one quite sure of what it all means - except for deadlines being extended every 5 minutes, more than enough to say stay away in my book.
    Personally, I cannot see much call for it, too big and cumbersome - limited load, limited time in the air, not exactly quiet, almost cheaper to buy a small helicopter. I think in 5 -10 years or sooner there will be something smaller lighter etc.

Best use maybe the "adventure" market, X$ for a 20 minute ride, but have sell a truckload or 2 of those to make any money.

http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbbs2/specs4.asp

A product like this will be in the similar market as a MJP. MJP does have an advantage of needing less space to maneuver, however at a cost that's much higher than these things.

What do you guys think?

As for the new prospectus, KSL seems to be making many "strange" bets, they also subscribed to a new Canadian company called Solar Ship or something, also developing something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Best use maybe the "adventure" market, X$ for a 20 minute ride, but have sell a truckload or 2 of those to make any money.
    Sorry to deflate your idea but there is no way regulators in the western world will allow someone to rock up to a place like queenstowen, strap on a jet pack and go for a 20 minute ride. An altetnative may be some tandem type arrangement but given mjp are struggling to get one person off the ground I reckon it will be years away before it can do 2 pepole.

Unless of course you are in China which may be a whole lot less regulated. In which case it will be only a matter of time before we hear of the first tourist has crashed and burned.

There would be a market somewhere mm until as you say someone crashes

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    There would be a market somewhere mm until as you say someone crashes
    People die of things all the time - deal with it.

In other news, a potentially very interesting use for the MJP payload and flight characteristics: http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/6...ts-and-disease

Why didn't minimoke think of this?