sharetrader
Page 106 of 169 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1683

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Call me naive but I had hoped that I might not be the only retirement sector shareholder, who invests for reasons other than just monetary gain.
    Not sure about you, but if you think Arvida is only around to collect donations and do good things , than they should at least give tax credits as e.g. St. Johns, the Cancer Society or my local church do. As long as they are in the investment business, they better perform and provide an appropriate return.

But again - this is not the right forum to discuss. I understand that you think it is not possible to cut hours without reducing the service level and I understand as well that you think that the current service level is exactly (or less) what residents need. It always is - and you clearly have an interest.

This needs to be a discussion between the people who pay for the service (i.e. government and residents) and the people who deliver it (the staff). In an ideal world residents would pay the full bill and in this case they would have full control over the service. Unfortunately - they often don't ... but still try to get the best service they can paid for by somebody else.

Who do you propose is paying the widening gap between salary bills and resident fees?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

If this was the number one thing my residents said about me, I would go find a different job. Yes, I have many “tasks” to do, but that is not why I am a caregiver and it is not what I want my residents to remember for. I want them to remember me as the caregiver who sat with them and held their hand from time to time, in their last days on this earth. I want them to remember that I took the time to check in on them, and stop for a chat, if they were holed up in their room having a “down day.” I want the 92 year hard case lady I adore, to remember the night I sat in her room and almost peed my pants laughing, while she screeched with excitement watching “Naked Attraction” on TV.

Our elderly are human beings. They are important. They should be valued. Yes, these places are in the business of making money, but the people they care for, and the staff that are the foundations of their business, should come first. I don’t know the answers, but they chose to operate in this sector. It’s their job to figure out how to make it work - not mine.

the staff are very friendly and attentive but go about their duties in a highly professional way whilst being mindful to be very efficient with their time.

Message received. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    But again - this is not the right forum to discuss.

I think the on the ground info and opinions from justakiwi are a factor in deciding what to do with my investment in Arvida. If trust is lost in the company due to falling standards it will be hard to earn back and could materially influence the share returns. This is exactly the right forum to highlight potential issues.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I think the on the ground info and opinions from justakiwi are a factor in deciding what to do with my investment in Arvida. If trust is lost in the company due to falling standards it will be hard to earn back and could materially influence the share returns. This is exactly the right forum to highlight potential issues.
    Absolutely agree, so helpful to have inside insights into elder care and the challenges. It's hard to imagine that cutting staff hours so severely in a single home, that care standards can possibly be mitigated by consolidating responsibilities into fewer people who on the surface of it look less qualified than the replaced carer.

Question also is whether this gains traction and is put in place across all the ARV homes. Would be interesting to see whether or how they are monitoring the level or standards of care, to see whether it is a good decision or not. Cynically, it looks motivated purely by cutting costs, as opposed to a better care delivery model.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    If this was the number one thing my residents said about me, I would go find a different job. Yes, I have many “tasks” to do, but that is not why I am a caregiver and it is not what I want my residents to remember for. I want them to remember me as the caregiver who sat with them and held their hand from time to time, in their last days on this earth. I want them to remember that I took the time to check in on them, and stop for a chat, if they were holed up in their room having a “down day.” I want the 92 year hard case lady I adore, to remember the night I sat in her room and almost peed my pants laughing, while she screeched with excitement watching “Naked Attraction” on TV.

Our elderly are human beings. They are important. They should be valued. Yes, these places are in the business of making money, but the people they care for, and the staff that are the foundations of their business, should come first. I don’t know the answers, but they chose to operate in this sector. It’s their job to figure out how to make it work - not mine.
    You sound like a wonderful caring person and in a perfect world there would be plenty of staff like you and resources so that everyone feels they were extremely well cared for. Unfortunately year after year after year the Govt's annual increase in the weekly care fee has not matched the much higher annual increase in providing quality care services. Winner calculated that OCA lost $9m on care services in their most recent report.
    The reality is the capital gain model of most villages is subsidizing the care side of their operations which make little if anything and often run at a loss, (which is why a lot of smaller rest homes without scale or income from occupation right agreement models are closing down). If ARV are making changes then I would suggest there's a very high probability its forced upon them because of insufficient Govt funding.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

An increased quarterly dividend of 1.45cps was announced after market close. They could certainly work on their timing of announcements for maximum impact.

Technicals are still looking strong for a test of the all time high. We did break the previous resistance of $1.84 on reasonable volume but didn't get much follow through. I don't like to see this, however zooming out on the chart shows we are just making a weekly higher lower with the support that has come in at $1.80 (so we are in weekly and month uptrends). Need to break that resistance on the next attempt though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    An increased quarterly dividend of 1.45cps was announced after market close. They could certainly work on their timing of announcements for maximum impact.

Technicals are still looking strong for a test of the all time high. We did break the previous resistance of $1.84 on reasonable volume but didn't get much follow through. I don't like to see this, however zooming out on the chart shows we are just making a weekly higher lower with the support that has come in at $1.80 (so we are in weekly and month uptrends). Need to break that resistance on the next attempt though.
    Got to like those quarterly dividends, just like Turners seem to come round pretty quick.

Guru

well winner(n) are the retirement stocks commercial property or rather residential? 17% increase predicted by westpac for this year in residential.

ARV close today 168 lowest this year

Mind you whole sector not doing that well this year

Maybe this talk of rising bond rates spooking some
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”