sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Sharesight

  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,025

    Default Sharesight

    I have mentioned Sharesight a few times but I don't think it has its own thread.

    Its free for less than 10 holdings and after that costs depending on how many portfolios you want and whether you want FIF reporting.

    I find it a huge timesaver (compared to my old excel files) and links directly with Xero for quick accounts (they offer Xero cashbook for $15pm which is normally only avaliable through an accountant).

    Trades automatically upload from your broker statements and dividends automatically load up once declared. It is almost set and foreget as far as admin goes but reporting is great to see how you are doing.

    Highly recommended


    http://www.sharesight.co.nz/

    Disc: not associated in any way other than a happy user.
    Last edited by Harvey Specter; 07-10-2014 at 08:44 AM.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,025

    Default

    Anyway, the reason I started this thread is I wanted to say I have just been playing with their new reporting (not sure how long it has been there) and tags (which have been there for a while I think) and it is great.

    Previously I just looked at performance by share or exchange (ie. NZX vs ASX) but it now does by business sector so it will automatically group power company's vs property stocks vs tech companies etc.

    Likewise with tags, I have tagged each stock as income or growth and by running the reports on just one tag, I have noticed that my income shares have had better growth than my growth shares this year (the drops by the likes of PEB, retirement villages etc havent helped).

    Is anyone else using Shareisght? How do you use the reporting functions - is there anything else I should look at?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    365

    Default

    I am a novice investor with a very portfolio, but I use sharesight and the automation / functions for a free service is amazing.

    DISC: not associated in any way other than another happy user.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,232

    Default

    I have had an investor account (which allows for 3 portfolios) for several months. Generally, I am pleased with it and find the new benchmarking with ETFs a useful addition. With the 3 portfolios I have been able to add other family members' investments. DRIP calculations have seemed to be awry as I think Sharesight does not allow for carry over balances.

    I would like to be able to add a separate category for Term Deposits and to be able to order them by maturity date. Similarly I would like a separate exchange category for the NZDX or listed debt. At the moment they are included with NZ shares. As a backup I still keep excel files and update these manually with the latest prices every quarter.

  5. #5
    Membaa
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    3,884

    Default

    Same as you Harvey, I've been using Sharesight since they started and they're getting better all the time. Mind you, my needs are simple just in tracking a share portfolio. I've implemented the tags which provide various reporting views and has also enabled me to better balance my portfolio. I also find that the reporting has massively improved my end-of-year reporting to my accountant, especially income from dividends. I've done away with spreadsheets altogether. The only thing I'd like to see soon is the ability to transfer instruments between portfolios - I can't understand why this is so complex that they haven't already implemented it. I suggest getting on the Sharesight Community forum and 'liking' all the feature suggestions, problems or ideas that you think should be implemented - lending weight to the case to develop them.

    BAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    Anyway, the reason I started this thread is I wanted to say I have just been playing with their new reporting (not sure how long it has been there) and tags (which have been there for a while I think) and it is great.

    Previously I just looked at performance by share or exchange (ie. NZX vs ASX) but it now does by business sector so it will automatically group power company's vs property stocks vs tech companies etc.

    Likewise with tags, I have tagged each stock as income or growth and by running the reports on just one tag, I have noticed that my income shares have had better growth than my growth shares this year (the drops by the likes of PEB, retirement villages etc havent helped).

    Is anyone else using Shareisght? How do you use the reporting functions - is there anything else I should look at?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    I have mentioned Sharesight a few times but I don't think it has its own thread.

    Its free for less than 10 holdings and after that costs depending on how many portfolios you want and whether you want FIF reporting.

    I find it a huge timesaver (compared to my old excel files) and links directly with Xero for quick accounts (they offer Xero cashbook for $15pm which is normally only avaliable through an accountant).

    Trades automatically upload from your broker statements and dividends automatically load up once declared. It is almost set and foreget as far as admin goes but reporting is great to see how you are doing.

    Highly recommended


    http://www.sharesight.co.nz/

    Disc: not associated in any way other than a happy user.
    I've just started to build a profile and have made use of the free Sharesight service. Find it great for keeping track of things.
    Would love to see a paid plan between Free and the Investor one for people with a single profile, but a few more than 10 stocks (e.g. a $10/month Novice plan). If they had one I'd sign up, don't have a large enough holdings yet to justify $25/month.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottwalshnz View Post
    I've just started to build a profile and have made use of the free Sharesight service. Find it great for keeping track of things.
    Would love to see a paid plan between Free and the Investor one for people with a single profile, but a few more than 10 stocks (e.g. a $10/month Novice plan). If they had one I'd sign up, don't have a large enough holdings yet to justify $25/month.
    They do annual specials sometimes. Alternatively, you could go through reseller (ie. you accountant if you have one may be able to offer an single profile. Ironically they are a reseller for Xero offering a plan only avaliable via accountants(ie. the cashbook), but not the otherway around).

    I did at one point think of become a reseller so people on this forum could get a single portfolio and xero cashbook for a cheap price but though the admin would do my head and no one would want it anyway since technically I would have access to all your data (not ideal for a guy named after a NY lawyer)

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Hi
    I'm thinking of using sharesight to track my share portfolio.
    I just had a few questions:
    How do I go about loading up historical transactions. ie purchases and dividends. I have all the detail in quicken 2006 which is starting to malfunction due to being run on windows xp!
    Does sharesight cover Smartshares etfs and other managed funds like the rabodirect funds.
    What is their help line like, is it all via a forum?
    Is there a video anywhere about getting started?
    I don't mind paying the fees but want to make sure it's the right software for me. thanks

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Its the best i've found to be honest. I love it, seems to have a good online forum if you need help, i think you can bulk load in transactions and they give you an example of what the format should be in.

    You can trial it out for <10 stocks, for free i think and go from there.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    That is <10 open stocks at once I think to be clear

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •