sharetrader
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default labour leader elections 2014 v1

Ok so I reckon it's time for a separate thread.
    With David Cunliffe a contender but now a gone burger we are left with:
    - andrew little on behalf of the unions (yes the same man who was head of the epmu during the development of pike river mine - enough said!) How far up the list was he?
    - david Parker (thank goodness there is only one david in the race this time - I am so easily confused)
    - grant Robertson on behalf of the minority interest groups barring MaorI
    - and nanaia mahuta on behalf of the special people.

Well that's about all their caucus with a hat in the ring.

Let it not be said labour are a three ring circus.

I'll put my money on Robertson. A purely random guess based on no thought or wisdom but consistent with the combatants own interests.

Let the games begin!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Ok so I reckon it's time for a separate thread.
    With David Cunliffe a contender but now a gone burger we are left with:
    - andrew little on behalf of the unions (yes the same man who was head of the epmu during the development of pike river mine - enough said!) How far up the list was he?
    - david Parker (thank goodness there is only one david in the race this time - I am so easily confused)
    - grant Robertson on behalf of the minority interest groups barring MaorI
    - and nanaia mahuta on behalf of the special people.

Well that's about all their caucus with a hat in the ring.

Let it not be said labour are a three ring circus.

I'll put my money on Robertson. A purely random guess based on no thought or wisdom but consistent with the combatants own interests.

Let the games begin!
    They should take a leaf from the Greens and could even go one better; they could have the four as co-leaders. They're such a happy bunch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    They should take a leaf from the Greens and could even go one better; they could have the four as co-leaders. They're such a happy bunch.
    This is a serious circus. I have not seen anything more comic in a long time.

One thing is for sure. The next Labour Prime Minister is not going to be one of those four.
    I think just put Parker in there as a place-holder and publicise the fact until Labour find someone who can actually do the job.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    One thing is for sure. The next Labour Prime Minister is not going to be one of those four.
    I think just put Parker in there as a place-holder and publicise the fact until Labour find someone who can actually do the job.
    Don't forget they've got Matt McCartens skills to nudge a slightly deficient wannabe over the line. Mightn't have worked with Cunliffe, but now that he's warmed up there'll be no stopping him.

Hmmm, the Labour Leadership "race" has gone even more low profile than Kim Dotcom since the election or the Margaret Wilson investigation of why Labour lost.

Maybe the deathly silences hide some fevered backroom deals between unions and electorate branches?

Here's a radical idea to liven it up - why not introduce the public as a 4th and larger strand of the labour leadership selection? Nominate one or more Polling Firms to determine the voters favourite and give it the top weighting above unions, party members and caucus?

That way Labour will avoid some highly embarrassing wrong choice.
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 27-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Hmmm, the Labour Leadership "race" has gone even more low profile than Kim Dotcom since the election or the Margaret Wilson investigation of why Labour lost.

Maybe the deathly silences hide some fevered backroom deals between unions and electorate branches?

Here's a radical idea to liven it up - why not introduce the public as a 4th and larger strand of the labour leadership selection? Nominate one or more Polling Firms to determine the voters favourite and give it the top weighting above unions, party members and caucus?

That way Labour will avoid some highly embarrassing wrong choice.
    As usual, none of your comments or ideas are fliers, MVT. I know for a fact that the Margaret Wilson team is working over the holiday break processing Labour member submissions, and David Parker is at the Michael Joseph Savage memorial in Auckland, meeting with people.

Mike Smith on David Parker. http://thestandard.org.nz/david-park...ce-for-leader/
    Last edited by elZorro; 27-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Just wondering if I am loosing the plot. I don't want to enter into debate on capital gains tax as it is well covered on a different thread. But we have Andrew Little now dead set against this policy position. Really - do so many of the Labour constituency own second houses that CGT is a serious threat to them?

I'd have thought the core Labour constituency was more your renter type person and at best your mortgage slave looking for higher wages to pay off the debt. Given half an opportunity to stick something to the rich national party tossers I'm thinking the labour voters would grab at it.

The core voting for them isn't enough to get them in power.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    ..... I'd have thought the core Labour constituency was more your renter type person and at best your mortgage slave looking for higher wages to pay off the debt. Given half an opportunity to stick something to the rich national party tossers I'm thinking the labour voters would grab at it.
    Perhaps that is where the numbers are, but I live in Wellington Central which is very red of course. And rich. A surprising number of my neighbours (flash street BTW) are Labour supporters, and they are just the ones I know about either because they have said so, have billboards up or have been spotted distributing flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Perhaps that is where the numbers are, but I live in Wellington Central which is very red of course. And rich. A surprising number of my neighbours (flash street BTW) are Labour supporters, and they are just the ones I know about either because they have said so, have billboards up or have been spotted distributing flyers.
    yet we have grant Robertson, mp for wellington central, in favour of a cgt. Youde think he would at least know what his electorate wants. So we assume a red electorate is in favour so andrew little is out of step with the constitle n cycled on this issue

Dilettante

It doesn´t really matter who becomes the next Labour Leader. They are out of contention with the electorate while they maintain this ridiculous selection process where the Union Bosses have 40% of the vote. There are few if any groupls of people more out of touch with the general public than Union Bosses so this can never work.
    The MPs are normally much more in tune with their electorates and the public in general so the Unions and the MPs will never vote for the same person. This time the Unions will by and large vote for Little while the MPs are more likely to go for Robinson or Parker.
    What a ridiculous mess this once great party has got themselves into !

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It doesn´t really matter who becomes the next Labour Leader. !
    I think it does matter. To be an effective opposition Labour need an effective leader. If not we are really looking at the Greens taking over the mantle of "opposition" and thats a scary thought
    Agree its a ridiculous process. Surely Labour works out its policies and then selects a leader best able to deliver those policies. So now we end up with 4 potential leaders with four seperate lots of policy.

Legend

It doesn´t really matter who becomes the next Labour Leader. They are out of contention with the electorate while they maintain this ridiculous selection process where the Union Bosses have 40% of the vote. There are few if any groupls of people more out of touch with the general public than Union Bosses so this can never work.
    The MPs are normally much more in tune with their electorates and the public in general so the Unions and the MPs will never vote for the same person. This time the Unions will by and large vote for Little while the MPs are more likely to go for Robinson or Parker.
    What a ridiculous mess this once great party has got themselves into !
    Incorrect, Iceman, union reps only have 20% of the vote. 40% to members, 40% to caucus. See post http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post513043

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Incorrect, Iceman, union reps only have 20% of the vote. 40% to members, 40% to caucus. See post http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post513043
    I stand corrected EZ. They only have 20% more than they should have then !

Except the ones that are unionists and members!

Legend

I stand corrected EZ. They only have 20% more than they should have then !
    If they wanted a successful outcome they should hold a members only ballot with results known only to caucus, then have a caucus vote.

Labour are in no-man's land in that they are currently unelectable. Even with the Nats' JK (not Rowling) saying things 'but not in his capacity as PM' plus all the other nonsense from the Nats, poor Labour are still unable to make any inroads. The best they can hope for is that the NZ populace will accept a gay man as their PM. Not going to happen.

Buck Palace announcer - May I present the PM of NZ with first lady...erm partner...
    Queen - There goes the Empire!
    NZ PM - Raises flappy hands elaborately in the air "Guilty as charged!!!!!"

As with Tony Blair's labour in the UK they need a front person with more appeal than washed up wannabees. In a nutshell they need the multi-toothed Jacinda Ahern. Hits the youth (she's youngish), hits the female vote, hits the minority vote (female again), hits the man vote (she's a looker) hits the fresh button and it's something new. Yeah she lost to Nicky Kaye but Labour have few options.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Clarus View Post
    Labour are in no-man's land in that they are currently unelectable. Even with the Nats' JK (not Rowling) saying things 'but not in his capacity as PM' plus all the other nonsense from the Nats, poor Labour are still unable to make any inroads. The best they can hope for is that the NZ populace will accept a gay man as their PM. Not going to happen.

Buck Palace announcer - May I present the PM of NZ with first lady...erm partner...

As with Tony Blair's labour in the UK they need a front person with more appeal than washed up wannabees. In a nutshell they need the multi-toothed Jacinda Ahern. Hits the youth (she's youngish), hits the female vote, hits the minority vote (female again), hits the man vote (she's a looker) hits the fresh button and it's something new. Yeah she lost to Nicky Kaye but Labour have few options.
    Which is why I hope someone other than Robertson gets the job. He might be quite good, but we'd hear nothing but snide remarks from various people between now and the election.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Clarus View Post

As with Tony Blair's labour in the UK they need a front person with more appeal than washed up wannabees. In a nutshell they need the multi-toothed Jacinda Ahern. Hits the youth (she's youngish), hits the female vote, hits the minority vote (female again), hits the man vote (she's a looker)
    Youngish and female, but a looker ?????