sharetrader
Page 227 of 247 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2462

Thread: Scales - SCL

Has anyone seen a reason for yesterday's sell off? Cant find any announcements or other variables...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibble View Post
    Has anyone seen a reason for yesterday's sell off? Cant find any announcements or other variables...
    Might be concern over whether the industry will have sufficient labour ?
    Need to mobilize quite a few Kiwi's. I've been retired a few years...wonder if I (we) could help ?
    Something some of the prison population could help with (paid) ? Unemployed ?
    Come on...lets do this !

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Need to mobilize quite a few Kiwi's. I've been retired a few years...wonder if I (we) could help ?
    Come on...lets do this !
    I have already spoken with a few orchardists and they are thinning this year like no other year. They want fewer apples on the trees due to the labour shortage. this will also mean fewer apples in the industry and might mean higher prices for the consumer. orchidists will always do well in the long run, but short-term there are loads of questions about their low wage structure, imported labour and bad labour practices.

I worked in the industry for two years and listened to the complaints of orchidists not earning enough and workers not earning enough. Both had valid points, but were not working together for a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Come on...lets do this !
    Hmm, perhaps. Wonder how those fruit harvesting robots are going, trials a year or so back looked good. Good for horticulture, not so good for unemployment. On the upside their development might create a few high end jobs.

Guru

SCL starting to spend a little cash??

Bringing up as Bull couldn’t find the Scales thread

Bull’s post -

Apple growers pulling out trees because there are not enough pickers for harvest

He estimated the region was short about 13,000 workers to complete the apple harvest, at a cost to the regional economy of $100 million

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...rs-for-harvest

probably explains the share price weakness
    Last edited by winner69; 05-03-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Bull’s post -

Apple growers pulling out trees because there are not enough pickers for harvest

He estimated the region was short about 13,000 workers to complete the apple harvest, at a cost to the regional economy of $100 million

cheers winner , the search didnt seem to find it , care to enlighten us how you found it?
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    cheers winner , the search didnt seem to find it , care to enlighten us how you found it?
    Google quite helpful time .....but be good if search here was fixed

Google - scales bull Sharetrader - and hey presto

There are more sophisticated ways but that worked
    Last edited by winner69; 05-03-2021 at 08:41 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Bull’s post -

Thanks for posting.

Seems a little extreme to rip them out, one wonders what the small holding of land would otherwise profitably be used for. Apples are here to stay (highly nutritious, keep in the fridge for ages).

Article refers to money invested to improve working conditions, probably not a bad thing for a hard job but wherever they got to with the harvesting robots a year back, in the near future I'd be very surprised if a harvest workforce of 13,000 is required. Sort of awful mechanical job that's just ripe for...

Keeping an eye on accumulating a few at present.

Veteran novice

One also wonders if some of the trees pulled out are old varieties being replaced by the newer, sweeter varieties favoured these days, a replacement programme that has been ongoing for some years now.