sharetrader
Page 131 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2462

Thread: Scales - SCL

Can you have an oversupply of apples. Would it be good or bad if they have to dump them, got me thinking when I was paying 29 cents kg for them in pakn save a fortnight ago.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by QOH View Post
    Can you have an oversupply of apples. Would it be good or bad if they have to dump them, got me thinking when I was paying 29 cents kg for them in pakn save a fortnight ago.
    maybe from a local orchard? SCL exports it all, especially with mid income families growing in Asia....apples will be on thier table?

Advanced Member

Maybe only in NZ when you have a " Bumper " crop... 29 cents a kg is cheaper than here, and Fruit & Vegies are really cheap ( and crappy ) here..

Could be an indication as to how large the exports will be :-)))))))))))

Dump them ??.. NO !!.. That is why they have a juicing facility .. :-))))))))))))

With the residue going into Pet food :-))))))

Win, Win.. aye Percy..

Disc. Holding..

percy

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Maybe only in NZ when you have a " Bumper " crop... 29 cents a kg is cheaper than here, and Fruit & Vegies are really cheap ( and crappy ) here..

Could be an indication as to how large the exports will be :-)))))))))))

Dump them ??.. NO !!.. That is why they have a juicing facility .. :-))))))))))))

With the residue going into Pet food :-))))))

Win, Win.. aye Percy..

Disc. Holding..
    They did say at last year's agm all the best NZ apples were exported,so it was either impossible, or near impossible, to buy a decent apple in NZ.

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    They did say at last year's agm all the best NZ apples were exported,so it was either impossible, or near impossible, to buy a decent apple in NZ.
    Grief, any remaining sense of objectivity just left this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Confirming this as I was there. Many of the apples people see in supermarkets in N.Z. are those rejected under the rigorous quality control selection procedures used for export apple selection. Scales refer to the export quality control selection process as their pack out rate, approx. 78%. SCL use reflective foil for enhanced colour which improves their pack out rate.

It is hard to find quality fresh apples anywhere around where I live. Recently we stocked up big time because quality fresh Jazz apples were available at Countdown for $2.50 kg. (very rare to get apples of that quality at that price in an Auckland supermarket at this time of year). (We do not shop at Pak and Save, too down-market for us)

Heartland fruit tend to have the best quality locally, their 'Smitten' variety is way better than Jazz IMHO.

http://www.luvyafruit.co.nz/

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Confirming this as I was there. Many of the apples people see in supermarkets in N.Z. are those rejected under the rigorous quality control selection procedures used for export apple selection. Scales refer to the export quality control selection process as their pack out rate, approx. 78%. SCL use reflective foil for enhanced colour which improves their pack out rate.

It is hard to find quality fresh apples anywhere around where I live. Recently we stocked up big time because quality fresh Jazz apples were available at Countdown for $2.50 kg. (very rare to get apples of that quality at that price in an Auckland supermarket at this time of year). (We do not shop at Pak and Save, too down-market for us)
    Jazz is not one of the varieties grown by Mr Apple...a decent apple, though eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    Jazz is not one of the varieties grown by Mr Apple...a decent apple, though eh?
    Just enjoyed another one before this post. Very nice

I picked up a new variety, Kanzi, from the local greengrocers last week - 99 cents per kg. Not Japanese but Belgium sourced variety - cross between Braburn and Royal Gala.

Very nice and crunchy but the fruits were obviously second grade with blemishes and some bruising - green grocer said he decided to take a 100kg bin to try out. Normal price is $3.99/kg.

As mentioned in a previous post, I met a China importer at a trade function a month or more ago who said he could not source any apples from Mr Apple as they were fully sold out.
    Last edited by Balance; 18-07-2016 at 02:23 PM.